Civilain life SUCKS!!!
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Civilain life SUCKS!!!

Well I just KNEW it would come to this... I am starting to kick myself for getting out of the Corps. I was on the fence as I got out, and only decided to move on to a civilain life because I was a new dad and didnt want to miss time with my son.

Well... I have been considering a Law Enforcement job, but I have been hearing stories about their "boot-camp". I know I could whoop it on no prob, but If Im gonna do that, why not just go back to where the pros are and the toys are more fun?

So...

Whats the word for prior service comming back in. Ive only been out for 8 months, so am I still eligible for some re-enlistment bonus $$$? Can I keep my rank? I know things have changed a bit for re-treads.

I know there are probably links here somewhere, but my searches have come up with nothing.

SEMPER FI!!!

Get in touch with your local PSR

http://www.marines.com/page/usmc.jsp...hRedirect=true

You're in good shape if you're under 3 yrs from your separation date. Talk to a recruiter - he'll set you up...

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Winger
    Get in touch with your local PSR

http://www.marines.com/page/usmc.jsp...hRedirect=true

You're in good shape if you're under 3 yrs from your separation date. Talk to a recruiter - he'll set you up...
    Thanks for the reply.

I would like to do some research first before I call a PSR. I want to make sure Im maxing out what ever bennis may be available.

Im not saying the recruiter would screw me, just that I want to know whats on the table BEFORE I call.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Make the call dude - that's the only way to find out what you can get.

Depends on whether or not the Marine Corps has a need for your skills and abilities. You need to see a prior service recruiter to at least see what your options are, mos availability, etc.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Scott,
    I'm currently banging my head on the wall. I'm not gonna say I told ya so. The other side of the coin sucks LOL. You will not regret going back in but but might later regret not going back in. I believe there is still a signing bonus for retreads. Walk in the office and say I am a Marine. I have a purple heart and I want back in. What do you have to offer?

Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker
    Scott,
    I'm currently banging my head on the wall. I'm not gonna say I told ya so. The other side of the coin sucks LOL. You will not regret going back in but but might later regret not going back in. I believe there is still a signing bonus for retreads. Walk in the office and say I am a Marine. I have a purple heart and I want back in. What do you have to offer?
    I knew you were going to be in this thread soon enough. You can say "I told you so" all you want. Right now the only thing I have to do is think hard about moving back away from the family.

I think it will be a bigger deal to my old lady, but she just may have to suck it up.

Scott, I know we've talked before and you have to listen to your heart AND brain. You have a wife and son, as you know its not just what you want, do you know what I mean? I'm not trying to say be henpecked and do what the wife wants only, but its a two way street and the only way a family really stays happy is if mama is happy.

If you can make her happy about it then its a no brainer....unless you don't care or are not worried about what she thinks? Maybe she will get used to it again, or whatever....just try to make it a family decision, then you can feel 100% good about going back in, or not.

I know several cops at my gym and this one State guy told me that PG County has one of the best retirements out there....and if you do like 25 years you get around 75% of your pay I think he said. Of course its PG County though, lol.

I'm just playing devils advocate brother.

JetDoc has a good point. The old saying goes "if she ain't happy, you ain't happy... and if she ain't happy long enough, you'll be unhappy with 1/2 your stuff". It's gonna be tough on her as well. I wouldn't deny any Marine the chance to go back in but being married it's as much her decision as it is yours.

I sent you a PM. If you're looking for police work there are some great opportunities out there.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    It's tough to think about no more home made meatloaf and a romp in the sack but at the same time it is easy to think about kid needs braces and roofing houses aint gonna cover it. I'm not certain but I believe there is still split pay .... you get $50 she gets the rest to take care of keeping things rolling on the home front. Hell $50 will cover a haircut and other essentials easy.

We had a guy in my unit come back after nine months out. He received his re-enlistment bonus, but his cutting score was zeroed out for a year. He's still glad he did it though.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Persian Gulf
    One of my first leaders was Cpl Rash. He had been around the world. Got out. He was my squad leader for a time. When the Desert storm kicked up he came back an low and behold I was his squad leader. Later he zipped through the ranks and picked up Sgt before I did. He was PFC Rash in the sandbox. Swam like a fish ....
    He had money to burn and came back to the Marines to join the fight.

50 Bucks! hehehe now there's incentive...

Skillet civilian life sure enough can suck hind even if you have a plan and are busting your hump to follow it. Guy's gotta push himself towards succeeding in civilian life everyday you know, it's just a different kind of camp. I didn't get alot shoulder slapping from "partners" to excel at my job as much as i did abuse in the form of whining and pecking when i smelled liked a hobo in August and was tired to go out dancing Saturday and spent Sunday studying. I eventually got handy (after about 12 years), cleaned up and acquired some stuff and control. It ain't all about "wifey" not for me anyway, i've got my own life and things to do.

But wife and kids and encouragement or not, a man still needs a plan and has to dive into it and this can make the Marine Corps seem like a skate, yet the rewards could be vast. If a chosen new occupation never does mean as much to you as being a Marine, that don't mean you can't master and find great satisfaction in it.

--->Dave

skillets i know how you feel i got out in 03' same reason had a 9 month old and wanted to spend time with him ....i went to the police academy in florida in 06' and graduated in 07'..had a job line up w/ the sheriffs dept. but missed the marine corps more .....so i talked w/ my wife and decided to get back in ...i went to the recruiting station and talked w/ the recruiter in nov. of 07' he did all my paperwork i went to meps for a phys. 2 months later i was swearing back in and i could not be happier to be an 0311 again...you get to keep your rank but you do loose your time in grade....also once you swear back in be ready to recive your orders i worked at the recruting station for a month and then recived my orders....good luck..

Thread Information