Is going into Bootcamp only being able to do the IST's smart?
Create Post

Is going into Bootcamp only being able to do the IST's smart?

Right now I am able to do only the IST's and in my mind I was thinking that, that was good to go into bootcamp with...

But now I am hearing that I should go into bootcamp doing the PFT's?

I actually had to work my way up to be able to do the IST's and now im hearing that I am going to have to work my way up to PFT's before bootcamp?

What do you guys think if i were to go to bootcamp only being able to do the IST's? I ship in Augest.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quit spazzin! As young as you are, if you never ran a day before you went to boot camp, you will get PUHLENTY of practice while you're there. It's waaaaaaaaaaaay more mental than physical.

Quit spazzin! As young as you are, if you never ran a day before you went to boot camp, you will get PUHLENTY of practice while you're there. It's waaaaaaaaaaaay more mental than physical.
    Alright, because I was starting to think that if I dont go into bootcamp as fit as can be doing the PFT's, then I would fail bootcamp.

Is there many people that fail bootcamp while your there?

Quote Originally Posted by raulg
    Is there many people that fail bootcamp while your there?
    Who taught you grammar and punctuation? I'll slap the **** out of them; I'm here for you.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    The only ones who fail are the ones that quit. The ones that think they're Billy Bob Bad A$$ and bow up at a DI, the ones that get broken, and there ARE some who just cannot/won't do the physical part. They quit for various reasons known only to them - if they can live with it, I can too.

FAILURE was not an option for ANY Marine coming out of MCRD. The only people that failure WAS an option for are the quitters. And no, there aren't that many that don't.

You won't fail unless you quit. But you will wish that you were in better condition. It will just be that much harder for you to get where you need to be.

When I went to bootcamp in '92 the SNCOIC of our recruiting office made sure we could pass the IST......When you pass the IST, The DI's will get you in plenty good shape for the PFT....But if your not shipping out till August....Run everyday...You don't want to be a run drop during regular PT runs..

If you're having a hard time with the IST, then I suggest to get on a good work out regiment. You don want to be "that one" who fails or barely makes it.

And if you do fail, you'll go to pork chop platoon. They'll make sure you run your arse off.

So I suggest you feel the pain now (lots of PT) then to feeling the pain later (in PCP).

Good luck.

My suggestion is that if you can pass the IST then you should look to the next milestone...the PFT. You're going to have to pass one to graduate Boot so if you at least have an idea of where you need to improve then you will be able to focus a little more there. Granted you will be worked very hard throughout Boot so you will improve anyway.

Also, remember to work on your pullups. You may or may not work on them a lot in Boot, so take the time at night, when you have a free moment to get on the bar and knock some out. Heck, work them now before you ship, they are worth 5 points each on the PFT!

Lastly, you only fail if you quit, and if you have a tight platoon then they won't let you quit without a fight. But we don't need to discuss that because you won't quit...will you?!

I would never quit.

But sometimes I wonder if I would physicaly be able to go through bootcamp.

I have never been in sports or things like that. And I was really overweight when I went to my recruiter.

Just to go to MEPS I had to lose 15 pounds, and then for me to be able to ship, I have to lose another 15 pounds.

When I went to my recruiter I couldnt do any pullups, could barely run a full lap, and was alright at sit ups.

Ive improved some (can run a mile straight right now, 4 pullups, 45 situps in 2 minutes)

And all this sometimes makes me wonder if I will be able to finish bootcamp physically.

Im going to continue running and trying to improve my IST's and hopefully by the time I get to bootcamp I will be ready physically and mentally.

Young man I must echo the comments of my fellow Marines. I went to PI in 75 barely being able to pass the IST. Like 84 said they will run you, run you ,and run you some more. Listen to the SSgt he is imparting the wisdom of the ages. Remember, every Marine is not a 1st class PFT. Do your best and put your faith in your DI's

THE SSGT IS RIGHT ON THE MONEY.WORK TOWARD PASSING THE PFT.WORK ON YOU PULL-UPS WHILE YOU HAVE THE TIME BEFORE SHIPPING OUT HOWEVER THEY WILL GET YOU IN SHAPE WHILE YOU ARE THERE.STOP STRESSING YOU WILL BE FINE.GOOD LUCK!

When your in Boot camp, you'll be in a CONTROLLED environment like you have never been in before....You have no ME time to be lazy...that's why it doesn't really seem that hard to get in great shape at recruit training...Just believe in yourself, sweat everyday for the goal of going to boot camp, and trust the Marine Corps and it will work out fine...

Ha,Ha, MotorT it's been a while since I heard the term "Pork chop platoon"

Thread Information