Dive School
Create Post

Thread: Dive School

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Dive School

Marines,

I come with another question that I was hoping that you could anwser. My goal is to become a engineer. Would I have any opportunity to get into dive school? Are there certain engineer MOSs that are only allowed at dive school?

Best Regards,
    Abyss

Credits
    Savings
    This is refreshing.

A 16yo that uses proper punctuation, etc., etc., and has a proper profile filled out.

Sorry to hijack the thread this way, as I know nothing about diving, just that this lad has his sheeit together.

There is always a possibility, but it isn't likely. I never met an engineer with a dive bubble.

Do your first four years, re-enlist, and tell the career planner that you want to take dive school as a re-enlistment incentive.

I agree; do your 1st contract 1st. Then you'll have all the control in the world when you work with the career planner.

Credits
    Savings
    I learned to dive while stationed in Okinawa by an awsome Master Guns that ran his own Dive School. So if the Marine Corps does not send you, you could always get the certification yourself through a private dive shop. I would recommend PADI certification as it is the most recognized. Morale, Welfare and Recreation (MWR) services on base usually had plenty of dive gear you could rent for very affordable prices. So remember there is always more than one way to accomblish the mission.

I did get a PADI certification in North Carolina from a retired MSgt. Lots of fun. It isn't dive school and you don't get the bubble, but you do get to hang out under water in the ocean.

Credits
    Savings
    Marines,

Thank you for you responses. I will serve my first contract, then re-up with dive school, I want the bubble! I have a question that has nothing to do with the topic at hand, so please, if I am out of line, correct me. I have been trying to get my parents to let me sign up under the DEP. My mom, being a former Navy E-7, told me I had to wait until I was 18. She argued that it wouldn't make a difference whether I signed when I was 17 or 18. My question is, what is the advantage? I am really trying to convince them and so far I am a no-go. Also, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Abyss

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Until you're 18, you are your parents responsibility. Sorry, but that's the way it is. Your Mom may look at it like I would - at 17, if I signed the paper and you got sent off and (heaven forbid) get killed, I would feel like I signed your life away. At 18, I would have no control over what you sign - you're more than welcome to put your own a$$ on the line.

Momma is just doing her job and protecting her baby. She knows the Corps and knows the risks. We don't blame her.

Your recruiter is trained to speak to parents in these situations. See if you can get him involved.

Credits
    Savings
    She definatly knows the risk, she served in the Navy during Desert Storm. I understand her position and I know she understands mine for she DEPpered into the Navy. She in very anti-recruiter, getting one involed would create chaos.

Godspeed,

Abyss

Can you imagine working for 2 or 3 hundred dollars an hour? Learn how to weld and make that dive bubble pay off.

Credits
    Savings
    That would be a dream job for me.

Regards,
    Abyss

Not getting into the DEP until you're 18 isn't a big deal. Come Christmas time the MOS's should all still be open and you should be able to pick any job you want. So the only thing you are missing out on is a different little picture under your name here... and you'll have a little more time in the IRR when you get out if you only do one enlistment.

Thread Information