Another fellow Marine needs your help
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Another fellow Marine needs your help

I'm a wife of a Marine, who loves his Marine but can't help him like a fellow Marine can. My husband is a long ways from home, moving here to Oregon from Georgia. He was retired after being evaluated at 100% PTSD, which still angers him, feels like he was thrown away.
    The thing now is if he don't get any support, I don't think he will make it. He binge drinks, I mean getting up drinking, sleeping, drinking and sleeping and not eating for days on end. He has been through the VA 30 day inpatient alcohol program twice in as many years. Been through outpatient PTSD counseling, but gets bumped from the inpatient PTSD program because of guys coming back from Iraq, not that it is a good idea to catch them early but where does that leave the guys who have been suffering for years and need a tune-up? He knows he has a problem, he knows its his crutch, but this time of year is bad, alot of dates. My husband is a wonderful man when he is in full control of his enviroment but the alcohol prevents him from being in control then it takes over. I was hoping to make a plea out there to anybody who possibly lives in the area, Albany,Oregon, one of your fellow Marines needs your help, I know I'm not enough, he needs somebody who knows what its like to live with this everyday of there life, somebody to talk too and understand what he is feeling, that is one major thing in his life that is missing. Thank you

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Krisy - have him sign onto a few sites - he'll see he's not alone. There are guys here that have it so, they can all help him in some way or point him in the right direction. Good luck!

Sorry, But I Do Live In Pa. The Best That I Can Offer Is Jesus!!!
    You Tried All The Outside Treatments, Now He Needs His Spirit And Soul Filled With The Love Of Our Lord And Savior...Christ Jesus...
    John 3:16...
    A Brother Marine, And A Brother In Christ!
    I Will Be Praying For A Complete Recovery!!!

what the hell. He's been to the VA twice under the 30 day program. He knows he got a problem. Well I say get bent,stop whinning and throw out the booze bottles. I hate non hackers who are looking for simpathy.

bootlace15 out

pack your friggen bags,and tell the drunk its either you or the booze.

Quote Originally Posted by bootlace15
    what the hell. He's been to the VA twice under the 30 day program. He knows he got a problem. Well I say get bent,stop whinning and throw out the booze bottles. I hate non hackers who are looking for simpathy.

bootlace15 out

bootlace15 he is not looking for sympathy, I'm not whining and throwing the booze bottles out don't exactly work. I love my husband but he isn't just a straight alcoholic either. Not looking for sympathy but help, you could of just moved on instead of leaving a nasty comment behind

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    As you can see Krisy, bootlace (with all due respect) ain't got help for his issues yet either.

amen to that 84 he need it real bad.

All I can say is you just don't give up and keep butting your head up on the door and some time it will open and tthe help will be there. He might even try out side of VA

Marine84,

LMAO, Not all of us turn to the bottle,if you know what I mean.............

bootlace15 out

My issues are addressed everyday...........

Krissy888,I wish I was there to help y'all.
    I'm in S.Carolina.The VA has it's hands full,so they say.Try the VFW or the Am. Legion,also the nearest church.The preacher,priest or rabbi,will try to help.
    Who knows one of them could be a vet,a Marine as well.
    You in my prayers,God Bless.
    Let us know how he does.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    First, I am sorry that you are going through this experience. People who have not lived with a person who has had traumatic experiences and have turned to alcohol to soothe that pain do not know what it is like. I applaud your efforts to seek help for your husband. Like any mental health issue, a person from the outside looking in can say that one's reactions are irrational or overblown. For the person experiencing them, they are debilitating. You first need to understand that his drinking is not a reaction to you, it is a reaction to the experiences he had and is unable to cope with now. For many veterans, the transition from combat to civilian life is horrendous. It is incomprehensible for civilians to understand what it is like to go from being in charge of multi-million dollar equipment, logistics for major operations, leading and being in charge of the lives of your friends, watching people try to kill you and your friends, and have to make the ultimate decision to end another's life to coming home where your spouse thinks that the fact you haven't been as cuddly as you should be is a big deal, or that your boss is screaming at you because you have put too much taco sauce on your customer's food. Going from a place where everyone's world really is **** back to a place where its a crisis if your child doesn't have designer shoes can be enough to blow anyone's stack. This is why domestic violence, substance abuse, criminal activity, and other issues are on the rise. Not to mention the financial hardships and familial discord that faces men and women when they return. I am sorry that not everyone is sympathetic to your concerns.

If he was not a drinker before his PTSD onset, he may be able to get VA benefits for the alcohol abuse as a secondary injury that is service connected.

With regard to the PTSD treatment, there is a VA facility in Batavia, New York that provides world-class treatment for persons diagnosed with PTSD. In Western New York we also have a court for Veterans who come into contact with law enforcement-its not much, but it is a start and a step in the right direction. Good luck.

Good advice,Sterge.
    Where,s your profile???????????

Your county should have a Veterans Service Officer that may have resources. Is there a Marine Corps League near? How about a Vet Center? Contact the VFW, the American Legion... He needs help, he needs to get out and help others, he can't just slide into an abyss. Get a chaplain over, go to church, go to Al-Anon yourself, you can't be dragged into the abyss too but he needs help getting out of it. No one can do that alone. Does he have any pets? Pets can be good for the soul.

Quote Originally Posted by bootlace15

bootlace15 out

C'mon bootlace, where's your comraderie for your fellow Marine?!?! I'm sure when YOU were active duty...someone HAD to help you out...with the attitude you have...I KNOW someone had to have helped you at some point in your enlistment!! Maybe that was why you STAYED a Pfc., huh? Oh well, that doesn't matter.....what matters is that a Marine needs help here!!! OUR help!!!

krisy...like you were advised, don't give up on the man you love...he needs you now more than ever, even if he doesn't realize it! Help him look for the help he so much needs! If he was diagnosed with PTSD...the VA is his best bet! I go through my VA center and they offer TONS of programs and treatment for this!! So look on line or ask your county VA where the VA clinic is located and they'll help out with finances and transpotation and grocery vouchers! Even with employment when he gets better!! Trust me...it'll help him...

Thank you for all the valuable information and tips that you guys have sent, I really appreciate it. This is some of the best advise that we have gotten is from the guys who know. Finding this site was by accident but I'm glad I found it and I know he will be happy too. He is coming back around, through tough love and caring. As soon as he is able I will be showing him this site and he will see he isn't alone in his fight. Thank you again I will keep you posted, and I think soon he will become very involved here

Chrissy

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    You will find that Marines will walk through fire for a Brother. But if he doesn't ask we will stand back.

Thread Information