Do We Really Need The UN.............. - Page 2

View Poll Results: DO WE NEED THE UN.............????????

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

1 4.17%
  • NO

23 95.83%
  • MAYBE

0 0%
  • WHO CARES

0 0%
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thursday, May 1, 2003 5:52 p.m. EDT
    Tom DeLay: U.S. Should Leave U.N.

One of the most powerful Republicans in Congress said Thursday that the United Nations is now so irrelevant that the U.S. should withdraw from the world body.

Reacting to ex-President Bill Clinton's statement in Mexico yesterday that the Iraq war shouldn't become a precedent for weakening the U.N., House Majority Leader Tom DeLay said, "I don't know that you can weaken the U.N. any more."

"They're weakening themselves and, in my opinion, have completely made themselves irrelevant," he told national radio host Sean Hannity.

"If that's the case, should we pull out, then?" Hannity asked.

DeLay responded: "Well, I'd like to. I've never been a big fan of the United Nations."

"I don't think it serves us at all," the Texas Republican continued. "We can create different kinds of multilateral organizations that bring people together. The only thing that's important that the United Nations provides is actually getting countries to sit down and talk to each other."

DeLay said that the U.N. had deteriorated into "a huge bureaucracy" that "just ties everybody in knots and no decisions can be made. It is doomed to failure. It has failed. And to me it's totally irrelevant."

DeLay was equally critical of ex-President Clinton for his comments endorsing a prominent role for the U.N. in world affairs.

"For Bill Clinton, of all people - the biggest failed administration in our lifetime as far as international affairs is concerned, the president that faced terrorism one on one and did nothing about it, that caused a lot of the situations that we find ourselves in today - he has no credibility whatsoever to be making comments about what we should or shouldn't be doing."

DeLay is the highest-ranking U.S. official so far to advocate that the U.S. withdraw from the U.N.

The U.N. isn't about people, it is about power. Every time something need to get done in the world, the delegates start"what's in it for me>" To accomplish the smallest thing you have to buy a vote from some third world country. Our cash is the only thing that has helped us get anything done through this organization. This last time we tried cash, but the countries we went after wanted more that we had to spend, so we just used good old force. Now , they are all looking for a piece of the "lets rebuild Iraq" Pie. The U.N. just appears to be a utopian idea that is above us mere mortals. time to go it alone. Semper fi

Cool UN Today.........

What has the UN accomplished this past year? Where has all the money gone? Where do the delegates hang out?

Sempers,

Roger

This is my answer...vusually.

Semper Fidelis
    Ricardo

Unhappy

Make that visually...sorry about that...

Semper Fidelis
    Ricardo

Cool TO HELL WITH THE UN OR WHAT........

Still looking for your responses..............What the Marines getting quiet all of a sudden..........LOL..............Voice your opinion........

Sempers,

Roger

Thread Information