Do you miss it? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you miss it?

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    It cost me my marriage but I chalked that up as an occupational hazard.
    Haha, yut yut Top!

Don't know what yut yut means but it's all good (I guess?).

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    Don't know what yut yut means but it's all good (I guess?).
    You could equate it to oorah, get some, etc.

Just turned 30 and have been out for a while now. I was foolish to get out, thinking I could ever surpass what we accomplished in the Corps was my downfall. I used to make fun of the old guy's that would wear Semper Fi covers when I was active duty. Now, I see why my old SDI would sing "don't let the green grass fool ya, don't let it change your mind." It was good to serve and now I am the one wearing the Semper Fi cover.

Marine Free Member McT ontheRock71's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    After reading the responses to the lead post on this thread and remembering my tour of duty in the Corps, I understand now why there were so many "career privates" in the Marine Corps prior to WWII. The Esprit D'Corps that is embeded in the raw recruit as he or she completes "Boot Camp" cannot be extracted from the individual by civilian life, time, or any other factor. It may lay dormant for a while but, once it is awakened, it is as strong as ever.
    Semper Fidelis
    Ken

Sgt Leprechaun said it the best "every davmn day." The younger Marines will feel the same way one day... I guarantee it!

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT RED View Post
    Sgt Leprechaun said it the best "every davmn day." The younger Marines will feel the same way one day... I guarantee it!

You got that right !!!

i have been and always will be a Marine period.yes i miss it always will,i go out in 1980 i was a Tractor Rat Crew Chief the friendships you make will last forever.ONCE A MARINE ALWAYS A MARINE.SEMPER FI

I miss it like nothing else and would give anything to be back amongst my brothers.

I just miss the Marines I served with. Most of them

Miss some aspects (commraderie), don't miss some others (chicken ****, which mainly came as a result of who was in charge as CIC, Carter for me). I remember 2 fiscal years starting off with a question of whether we'd get paid or not. Aircraft were always falling out of the sky because the chicken **** CIC didn't like to spend money on gear. The botched rescue op. in the desert is a good example, from I heard the choppers didn't have sand filters. Good idea, fly choppers in the desert without sand filters. Rifles coming apart at the take down pin because of wear. Been on an amtrac that burst into flames. Joined 2/6 just after they came back from a med cruise where an amtrac went down because of a missing hatch. I think about 6 died in that SNAFU. Went to Cuba with the word that 20% of our number were written off before we'd get ammo if needed. Or even a bayonet for that matter. Then there was that ongoing rumor of the Corps being absorbed by the Army. Again, the PTB not wanting to spend money on us.

The men I served with made it tolerable, the boys in charge (I mean way up the chain) ****ed me off no end. Living in open squad bays and wall lockers not so bad, field daying all night without even a toilet brush, chicken ****.

I was in the CG with Reagan, what a difference. Then again in the NG with Clinton, Carter revisited.

I hope it's different today with the Carterish (if not worse) CIC we have today.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I do but I Don't...I don't but I Do S/F

Credits
    Savings
    Like stopping Cigaretts !!!!!!!
    the longer you go, the less it hurts............................

sometimes

Do I miss the crotch, the suck, the green weenie, the Marine Corps? I guess I have to say I have mixed feelings there, I believe that the Marine Corps tried to have me killed me a number of times. Would I ever take anything for having been a Marine or having known my brothers, hell no.

I'd have to say I liked the Nam the best about being a Marine, I really felt like a Marine there with all the **** we did, just wish I hadn't lost so many brothers. I'm not sure if I'd do it again with what I know now. I've paid a lot of prices with this 100% PTSD over the years. But how do you take the savage out of the wild animal that we all became? Still working on figuring that one out. Just saying. S/F

Quote Originally Posted by Swampyankee View Post
    Miss some aspects (commraderie), don't miss some others (chicken ****, which mainly came as a result of who was in charge as CIC, Carter for me). I remember 2 fiscal years starting off with a question of whether we'd get paid or not. Aircraft were always falling out of the sky because the chicken **** CIC didn't like to spend money on gear. The botched rescue op. in the desert is a good example, from I heard the choppers didn't have sand filters. Good idea, fly choppers in the desert without sand filters. Rifles coming apart at the take down pin because of wear. Been on an amtrac that burst into flames. Joined 2/6 just after they came back from a med cruise where an amtrac went down because of a missing hatch. I think about 6 died in that SNAFU. Went to Cuba with the word that 20% of our number were written off before we'd get ammo if needed. Or even a bayonet for that matter. Then there was that ongoing rumor of the Corps being absorbed by the Army. Again, the PTB not wanting to spend money on us.

The men I served with made it tolerable, the boys in charge (I mean way up the chain) ****ed me off no end. Living in open squad bays and wall lockers not so bad, field daying all night without even a toilet brush, chicken ****.

I was in the CG with Reagan, what a difference. Then again in the NG with Clinton, Carter revisited.

I hope it's different today with the Carterish (if not worse) CIC we have today.
    Sounds like a Happy Camper to me.

Thread Information