Do you miss it? - Page 4
Create Post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Do you miss it?

I MISS BEING WITH MY BROTHERSIN THE MARINE CORPS I LEARNED ALOT FROM THEM. THE MOST IMPORTANT BESIDES SURVIVAL IS COMMONSENSE. THAT IS ONE THING I NOTICED IN THE CIVILIAN WORLD PEOPLE WERE LACKING ESPECIALLY IF THEY HAVENT BEEN IN THE MILITARY YOU COULD TELL.

Semper Fi And Godbless you all my brothers and sisters

Stephen Doc Hansen HM3 FMF

Do I miss the Marine Corps, that's a very difficult question. My experience was nothing like what I thought it would be, of course that's most likely very normal for everyone. I enlisted during wartime (Vietnam) and like many young men during that time we enlisted to go fight our war. The truth is that none of us knew what it was going to be like going into a war.

From the very 1st night that I arrived at Parris Island the brutality began and nothing changed during my entire time there. We were trained to be born again hard, to kill with no hesitation. ITR and then infantry training was much better, though it was physically challenging but without the constant screaming and mental and physical punishments. We were being trained to win and to stay alive. We were eager to learn. After this training I became an MP for a time before receiving orders to Fleet Marine Force Pacific (Vietnam). Being an MP for those several months was probably my most enjoyable time in the MC.

I arrived in Vietnam almost a year to the day after I had started at PI. Stayed a few days at Freedom Hill before being notified that I had orders to join the 1/5 up in Phu Bai, wherever that was. We made the trip by convoy the next morning. A couple of weeks later Tet started. In a little over a month from arriving in Vietnam I was no longer a fng but a battled hardened Marine who had done his job extremely well and had survived over 50% casualties at Hue City.

After Hue I was sent out to the Arizona with the 3/5 where I stayed for the rest of my time in country. Endless walks in the park, constantly losing my brothers, endless night ambushes. Places like the A shau, Happy Valley, Go Noi Island, Dodge City, the Hook, and numerous other endless names and operations. All of my brothers and me were always miserable, starving and most of them are but memories today, perhaps to no one but myself.

When I found out that I was going to live and my tour was up they sent me back to the world to Pendleton. I spent a year there as a "stateside" Marine before getting out.

What I miss most from the Marine Corps are my brothers, men I trusted my life to, men who did all that was ever asked of them and more. I am here on LN today because some of these men are here. S/F Marines.

PS Now I'll go back to the War Room

Thanks Top. I hope I can continue to be a reservist and keep the foot in the door and see if they have another buildup. Like I stated I loved it and had a fun ride. Hopefully college goes well for me and I make something out of myself as a civilian

Quote Originally Posted by Tookie22 View Post
    Thanks Top. I hope I can continue to be a reservist and keep the foot in the door and see if they have another buildup. Like I stated I loved it and had a fun ride. Hopefully college goes well for me and I make something out of myself as a civilian
    I have the same hopes Corporal. Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how hard it is to LAT move to a different MOS if get back in as a reservist? I know needs of the Marine Corps take priority, but I'm wondering if anyone has first hand experience with a situation like this. Thanks.

I have no experience so my 2 cents are of no value. But my guess is that it might be hard since you'd have to go to your new MOS school (I figure) and that involves activation for those months. Good luck though.
    My advice hit up a the command at your nearest reservist station or a PSR

Thread Information