Reserves to OCC
Create Post

Thread: Reserves to OCC

Reserves to OCC

Ignorance is no excuse so I apoligize that I initially posted this thread in the wrong forum.

The Short of it is that I am looking to get to go to OCS.I'm maxing out my pft score at 100 points for the pull ups and crunches respectively, but my run time has a long way to go! For whatever reason I can't get down to the 24 minutes my OSO wants me to get to and its not because a lack of effort. He suggested that I go the reserve route for supply and when I'm done my run time should be well below the required 24 minutes. My question is similar to what someone else asked earlier. If I go the reserve route will my OSO be able to pluck me from the reserves and into OCC. My concern is that because I already have my degree and I am OCC, not PLC that it may be more difficult. The last thing I want is to end up a reservist in an MOS I don't want.

My second question is can anyone tell me how many weeks the Supply &Admin basic course is at Lejune? The way it was broke down to me is the following.

Parris Island 13 weeks
    Recruitment assitance or time off after boot: 2weeks
    MCT: 4 weeks
    Supply and Admin Basic: 3 weeks?????
    Total= 22 weeks and if I leave July 21st I will be back middle of Dec. to Leave for OCS Jan, 20th, 2009.

Is this accurate?

Using MCRD as a health club is not a good idea. You are correct in thinking that you shouldn't join an MOS that you wouldn't be happy spending your whole 6year contract in.

The reason you can't get your run time down is that you lack the self discipline to keep running farther/faster. Your weak mind is telling you to stop sooner than your body is ready to quit. You need to determine how bad you really want this and set your sights on it. If necessary, hire a trainer to motivate/push you.

I have to say though, your motivation for enlisting before OCS makes much better sense than someone who simply wants to be a Mustang.

There are several suggestions on improving your run time on this site. Do a search and solicit more suggestions if necessary. The bottom line is, if you're not running every day and almost puking at the end of your run, you're not putting out the effort you say you are.

If going to boot camp can drop your run time, you can do it yourself just as easily. The physical part of recruit training isn't all that difficult.

Head over to runner's world and tell them what you're trying to do. (It may be easier to leave out the Marine stuff and tell them what you're running 3 miles in now and where you want it to be. Possibly pose it as a 5k discussion.)

As for the OSO being able to pluck you out, he has no reason to lie to you. He isn't a recruiter, you going to boot camp doesn't get it done for him. If he told you that you could take that route and then go to OCS, then he can make it happen.

I appreciate the honest assesment and your right at the end of my runs I am not completely spent. I've tried incorporating sprints into my runs and at night sprinting on a treadmill at 3.5 incline for a mile at 7:30 miles. My time right now is 26:15 down from 31:00 first time I tried to run a pft( horrendous I know). If I can utilize the benefit of parris island to achieve my ultimate goal, then I think its an option if all else fails.

I don't see why anyone would consider themselves a mustang just because they went to Parris Island or San Diego and did a few months as an enlisted reservist. I think mustangs earn their disntinguishment with full contract tours before commission. Should I go that route I don't think I would consider myself a mustang because I didn't really earn it.

I've never heard of them grabbing you out of your reserve unit like that... they'd have to reccomend you (that is your new unit) for the enlisted to officer program.. and only a limited amount a year are allowed to do that, there is board that selects them. You will probably not be one of them, sorry. plus your unit will lose a Billit in there TO and TE... so they will want your services for at least a year.

I suggest you get a trainer to help you with your run time and instead of focusing on your 3 mile you should aim for 5 since you will run 7 for PT in OCS... they will run you to death in OCS... aim high and your 3 mile will drop when you realize you can damn near sprint the full 3 before you get tired.

Thread Information