Job Change
Create Post

Thread: Job Change

Job Change

I was wondering if a couple of years down the road after my MOS training I was wondering if It is possible to get a job change if I wanted to get into infantry, my parents said the only way they would let me enlist is if I went with something like M.P. which I did, so any help would be much appreciated, thanx in advance.

Yes. Your recruiter will tell you that you can lat move after 2 years. From what I heard in boot camp though changing your MOS is almost impossible. Once you've done four years you can change your MOS when you do a new contract. At least thats what all my DI's told us.

That is correct. Most of the time, you will see Marines Lat move at the end of their 1st contract.
    I was attempting to Lat move into the Air wing, but the orders never came. But my buddy waited it out and got into the "hair" wing as a Harrier Mech.

thanx for the info

Marine Free Member darkgreen0311's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

Darkgreen 0311

Man, if you're 18 years old you don't need mommy and daddy's permission for anything.

SEMPER FI 4 LIFE
    YOURS IS NOT TO QUESTION WHY BUT TO DO OR DIE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mudvayne
    Yes. Your recruiter will tell you that you can lat move after 2 years. From what I heard in boot camp though changing your MOS is almost impossible. Once you've done four years you can change your MOS when you do a new contract. At least thats what all my DI's told us.
    That is unless you have a "critical" MOS. If your MOS is considered "critical" then the needs of the Corps can keep you from making any move laterally. I had that problem when I wanted to go play Air Traffic Controller and they said tough nuts because I was in a critcal MOS...

With the war going on it may be different. But at least a few years ago you could NOT lat move into the infantry. You could move from the infantry, or to other job fields, but the only way a non-grunt could get an 03 MOS was to go to the reserve (or do the recon indoc and be accepted). There is a very good reason for it. If you were an MP and made a lat move to be something like an intel person, once you went through the school you'd be OK. If you weren't the best at something you could keep learning in the fleet. In the infantry you would be senior to Marines that have much more time in the fleet. Thus, you would be leading people that have more knowledge and experience than you do. It isn't like you're looking at a picture and trying to figure out what it is. A decision made saves or costs lives. Thus, they didn't let you move into the field.

That's something you should talk to your recruiter about. Of course, if you're going to boot camp you're more than likely 18. Your parents cannot control what you do- so do what's right for you. (In fact, I think you have to be 19 to be an MP anyway)

[quote=darkgreen0311]Man, if you're 18 years old you don't need mommy and daddy's permission for anything.

Well when I enlisted I was 17 and my parents would sign the papers for me to go down to the MEPS center unless I picked a non infantry job.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four_Bravo
    With the war going on it may be different. But at least a few years ago you could NOT lat move into the infantry. You could move from the infantry, or to other job fields, but the only way a non-grunt could get an 03 MOS was to go to the reserve (or do the recon indoc and be accepted). There is a very good reason for it. If you were an MP and made a lat move to be something like an intel person, once you went through the school you'd be OK. If you weren't the best at something you could keep learning in the fleet. In the infantry you would be senior to Marines that have much more time in the fleet. Thus, you would be leading people that have more knowledge and experience than you do. It isn't like you're looking at a picture and trying to figure out what it is. A decision made saves or costs lives. Thus, they didn't let you move into the field.
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four_Bravo

That's something you should talk to your recruiter about. Of course, if you're going to boot camp you're more than likely 18. Your parents cannot control what you do- so do what's right for you. (In fact, I think you have to be 19 to be an MP anyway)

I'll be 19 while at training, but my recruiter said that it would work.

If you'll be 19 while you're in training, you'll be at least 18 before you ship to boot camp. So, you can still do anything you want to do. You can pick 03XX on your 18th B-day and there is nothing mommy can say about it.

Thanks for all the help it is much appreciated

Thread Information