US Marine Corps/why/when - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Yes Sparkie i am with you the Duke made me do it too after seeing the Movies Sands of Iwo Jima and back to Bataan i was pretty much sold. And i kinda liked the idea of being a shootist..

I joined up because it was a dream of mine to earn the title Marine and serve my country by being the best of the best. I wanted to be a US Marine so bad that recruiters laughed at me when i went to them in the 8th grade. Funny I miss it so much I can't begin to remember why I got out in the first place. I guess the grass is always greener on the other side. But I guess it was for the best because I don't think i'm stable enough anymore to lead Marines. But I will forever miss it, thank god I will always be a Marine! Semper FI KILL!

Was about to graduate HS, didn't know what I was going to do...it was about this time the Marine recruiter called me....months later I was standing on yellow foot prints in the dark.

We Vietnam era Marines seemed to have a limited scope on life, My daddy served in WWII, although as a swabbie, sooo after a steady diet of the Duke and being a bit rebellious I joined the Corps.

Marine Free Member AAV Crewchief's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by hermogenesm
    Sgthermogenesm:
    Why did you join the Marine corps???????
    I was going to join when I was 17, but my dad (Navy vet) refused to sign the papers for me at that age. He wanted me to go to college and I did get this hot ass girlfriend who convinced me otherwise to stick around at that time. Well, right after Thanksgiving the BEOTCH dumped me and after moping around all Christmas/New Year's holidays I went into the recruiters office and joined ASAP, but had to wait 4 months on DEP.

It was around that time also that the old man said that I needed to either go to college or get a job and start paying some rent. I figured it was now or never and did the deed. Never regretted it. I do regret getting out as I was a fast burner to E-5 and just didn't see what I had earned as anything important because I sort of expected it.

Almost all my family had served. Yes, even the ladies. Dad and uncles were all WWII Vets(Army). Brothers - Nam(Army). Cousins - air force and Navy. I was a cocky, smarta$$ eighteen year old. I let everyone know that I was the best and I was joining the best! I remember seeing the "Rose Garden" poster on the recruiters wall. When I got home and told my parents that I had signed up for the Marines, my dad looked at me and said, " son, it's not going to be all roses". I knew then that it was fate. I've never regreted my decision.

My dad was a Marine

So the branch was a no brainer.
    I had almost flucked out of my first year at UNM, and one night I got home 15 minutes after the parental imposed curfew and my dad thrrew a sleeping bag at me rather than let me in the house. The next morning he woke me up on the lawn and sent me in for breakfast. The yellow pages were open on the table to the recruiters in Santa Fe and what the heck a drive to Santa Fe in my Camaro sounded good to me.

I walked past a Marine Corps recruiting booth at a job fair. The recruiter said, "Semper Fidelis".

I thought he said "Seventy Five Dollars", so I asked where to sign.

crate

Quote Originally Posted by sdk87to91
    So the branch was a no brainer.
    I had almost flucked out of my first year at UNM, and one night I got home 15 minutes after the parental imposed curfew and my dad thrrew a sleeping bag at me rather than let me in the house. The next morning he woke me up on the lawn and sent me in for breakfast. The yellow pages were open on the table to the recruiters in Santa Fe and what the heck a drive to Santa Fe in my Camaro sounded good to me.

lol..Thats f*cking Awesome.

I wanted to be a Marine ever since I was a little kid. I would run around playing war and stuff like that. When I got older I still wanted to join the military service but I wasnt sure if I had what it took for me to be in the Marines. I was a little guy. 5'6 135 soaking wet with a brick in my pocket. I went and talked to a army recruiter and they were all over me promising me the world , and I was like ok Ill join.
    Then I saw a Marine recruiter in my HS . He was talking to some other kid and I got some pamphlets. Cut school early and went and talked to them. Instead of falling all over themselves trying to get to me to join when I walked in the first thing they said was, "What the hell makes you think you can be one of us?"
    Instantly I was just amazed. Not one fatass , not one Marine looked like a bag of ****. Every single one just looked amazing in their uniform. All of them telling their war stories, swearing , f this f that, talking about banging chicks in Thailand, , boozing , fighting, I was hooked. I wanted that! I wanted 03 and thats what I got.
    They didnt promise me s*it but opportunity to claim the title United States Marine. No bonus no nothing. Everything I wanted I got.
    3 Days later standing tall swearing in.
    Greatest decision of my life. Semper Fi.

I knew I was going to be a Marine from an early age my dad was Marine and 4 of his 5 brothers where Marines.

1. Navy Veteran WWII
    2. USMC Korean War Veteran
    3. USMC Korean War Veteran
    4. USMC Vietnam War Veteran
    5. USMC Vietnam era Veteran

So I guess I was meant to be a Marine. I heard all the stories growing up and I became very intrigued with it all. By the time I graduated high school I was signed up and ready to go. I shipped out three or four weeks after graduating H.S. and the rest is history. Some of the best times and some of the worst times of my life but I wouldn't change it for anything.

Semper Fi

because I felt like it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bootlace15 out

all i ever wanted to be , mom and dad both marines , my moms younger brother (whom im named after) was a marine (kia-vietnam) , two uncles (navy) , my brother was a marine...best thing i ever did....semper fi..

Hell, I was going to join the nasty coast guard but had a fast car and four speeding tickets over 100mph so they couldn't take me. I decided I would go hardcore and called the Marine recruiter that night right after hanging up with the coast guard. He came over and freakin' had a beer with me....two weeks later.....Best decision I ever made.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    i joined because the recrutier said congradulations you have just been drafted into the finest fighting org. in the world... i said ...golly.. ( saw gomer pile a cupple of times)...the DI down in sunny Cali...took the smart a**out of me real quick

Quote Originally Posted by montana
    i joined because the recrutier said congradulations you have just been drafted into the finest fighting org. in the world... i said ...golly.. ( saw gomer pile a cupple of times)...the DI down in sunny Cali...took the smart a**out of me real quick

I bet you got a signing bonus and guaranteed 03.......

Thread Information