Laundry?
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Laundry?

Laundry?

This might be a stupid question.. but how does laundry work at recruit training? Is every recruit responsible for his/her own stuff or is all dirty laundry washed together?

This also sounds pretty rideculous to ask.. but how often do you change your socks and underwear? I think it would be a bit nasty (not to mention unhygenic and possibly asking for infection) to wear the same sweaty socks and stuff for days at a time.

Actually, this question has perked my interest now too. I know they USED to (but again this was more then a decade ago when my uncle went through) His company had to wash all of their stuff on washboards and a bar of laundry soap lol but I don't think they make you do it like that anymore.

[DGardner] 11:48 am: it's done in a
    washing machine, you will get a bottle of
    tide when you get there, along with a
    whole laundry bag of hygeine #$%^&* and
    stuff
    [DGardner] 11:49 am: you only wach
    socks and #$%^&* in the squadbay
    [DGardner] 11:49 am: your cammies
    are sent to a laundry facility on base to be
    washed

Quote Originally Posted by benw2200
    This might be a stupid question.. but how does laundry work at recruit training? Is every recruit responsible for his/her own stuff or is all dirty laundry washed together?

This also sounds pretty rideculous to ask.. but how often do you change your socks and underwear? I think it would be a bit nasty (not to mention unhygenic and possibly asking for infection) to wear the same sweaty socks and stuff for days at a time.
    All laundry is washed together (shirts, shorts, socks, skivvies) and laundry is the responsiblity of the rifle watch. Just be prepared to lose everything lol It doesn't matter if your name is on your ****, you'll wake up the next morning and none of your clothes returned! lol

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    No more concrete outside sink and a scrub brush? Next they'll be takin the bucket away.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie
    No more concrete outside sink and a scrub brush? Next they'll be takin the bucket away.
    I remember those Wisk and scrub brush days at the concrete sinks! We gave a few Wisk and scrub brush showers like that to a chosen few who wanted to stink!! Hell, we didn't even have brooms or mops...everyone just gave up one towel and we used dry ones for the brooms and wet ones for the mops! They were called "decksnakes"!! Since we lived on the second deck, (2nd Bn), we had to make a relay line to the recruits at the outside sinks washing and rinsing these decksnakes to be passed up by throwing them to the next recruit on the stairs so another recruit can put it on the deck and hold it there and run up and down the squadbay!! I remember that squadbay deck, including the quarterdeck, being so damn clean you can literally eat off it!! That was everyday, too!! Fun, fun, fun!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Seoke
    Actually, this question has perked my interest now too. I know they USED to (but again this was more then a decade ago when my uncle went through) His company had to wash all of their stuff on washboards and a bar of laundry soap lol but I don't think they make you do it like that anymore.
    Yep, because in 1998, there were no washing machines. Your uncle is either a liar, or a damn funny joker!

Heck I lived in a Quonset hut and the concrete sink was a Sunday break to wash my clothes, that and church

Marine Free Member darkgreen0311's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

Darkgreen 0311

Yeah, Big Jim i remember a bottle of wisk and a scrub brush on the cement sinks it seemed like hours being out there. Every sunday, man that takes me back.

SEMPER FI 4 LIFE
    YOURS IS NOT TO QUESTION WHY BUT TO DO OR DIE!!!

They would take laundry up on tuesday and thursday. All of our green skivvies would go in mesh bags and tie a knot in them and our cammies would all get thrown together in big laundry bags. Just make sure you tie the knot tight in your mesh bag so you don't lose your stuff. We washed our white socks and jocks in the squad bay and it doesn't matter if you write your name on those cause you'll never get the same one twice.

We used the concrete sinks out in the wash racks when we got back from the crucible and BWT.

Quote Originally Posted by BR34
    Yep, because in 1998, there were no washing machines. Your uncle is either a liar, or a damn funny joker!
    #1 I'd watch who you're calling a liar, considering he's an E-7 now (kinda disrespectful to be saying he's a liar) , and I said OVER a decade as in I'm not sure how long ago it was that he went through boot but I know it was over a decade ago.

Quote Originally Posted by darkgreen0311
    Yeah, Big Jim i remember a bottle of wisk and a scrub brush on the cement sinks it seemed like hours being out there. Every sunday, man that takes me back.

SEMPER FI 4 LIFE

Yeah, brother, Wisk was used to strip our boots, floor soap, soap to clean the showers and heads and whatever else needing scrubbed clean...including heavy shampoo in getting the sand fleas and crabs off when we all caught it running through the swamp!! I didn't know Wisk had so many uses!! LOL!! I don't know bout you but my scrub brush was wore down to the wood come 3rd phase!!

Quote Originally Posted by Seoke
    #1 I'd watch who you're calling a liar, considering he's an E-7 now (kinda disrespectful to be saying he's a liar) , and I said OVER a decade as in I'm not sure how long ago it was that he went through boot but I know it was over a decade ago.
    Watch youself. boy...be careful what you say here...

Marine Free Member darkgreen0311's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

Darkgreen 0311

You know Big Jim i had forgot about stripping our boots down with wisk.

SEMPER FI 4 LIFE

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkie
    Damm, what next???

Quote Originally Posted by sgt tony
    Heck I lived in a Quonset hut and the concrete sink was a Sunday break to wash my clothes, that and church.
    Right on, Brother!

Thread Information