Poolees, this is why you don't do stupid things on the internet.... - Page 2
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeInVille
    How can he even join with a tattoo there?
    My point exactly. This is where I smell BS from this "Poolee".

The new regs state that the tattoo cannot cover more then 25% of said body part which is judged by if you can cover it with your hand or not.

I had to do a waiver process for my forearm tattoo as well as the amount of tattoos I have and this does not fall into regs. And like I've said I've seen area codes and 420 get in on a waiver so it seems fishy that his 408 wouldn't get in if it was even possible...

Quote Originally Posted by kbs95125
    To me, it takes away the real signifigance of what it means to earn the title, if as a Marine I don't say anything at all.
    When he puts on a uniform and claims to be a Marine, you have grounds to act.

I understand the reasoning behind wanting to say something. And I can agree that it is certainly appropriate to say something to him. However, in the manner and presentation of those Marines who did respond... it's an absolute disgrace.

Question for you:

Who was responsible for the greater amount of disgrace to the Marine Corps in that exchange?

1) The poolee with a tattoo
    2) The Marines who responded

If you can't see that answer plainly then you missed the part about Honor in the core values discussion.

Approach him in PMs. Share your concerns and views (which are valid) in a way that brings credit upon yourself and the Marine Corps. I daresay he would be far more open to your message in that case than to the barrage of utter crap that was dished out.

To be clear, there is NO excuse for the conduct of those Marines.

I agree, he is a moron! There is a difference between getting a tattoo when you havent even earned the title and wearing a Marine Corps shirt. A tattoo signifies that it will be with him forever and he may not even make it through Boot Camp and I dont think he can even DEP in with a forearm tattoo anymore.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I honestly appreciate Isrowei's composure and bearing, when it comes to these things, to me it shows patience and wisdom, not surprise he is still active.

But, I honestly can't be mad at the way the Marines acted; esp. since it seems to be an expected behavior, I've noticed that, (Active or Former)Marines do have habit on jumping down Poolees throats, even on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Isrowei
    When he puts on a uniform and claims to be a Marine, you have grounds to act.

I understand the reasoning behind wanting to say something. And I can agree that it is certainly appropriate to say something to him. However, in the manner and presentation of those Marines who did respond... it's an absolute disgrace.

Question for you:

Who was responsible for the greater amount of disgrace to the Marine Corps in that exchange?

1) The poolee with a tattoo
    2) The Marines who responded

If you can't see that answer plainly then you missed the part about Honor in the core values discussion.

Approach him in PMs. Share your concerns and views (which are valid) in a way that brings credit upon yourself and the Marine Corps. I daresay he would be far more open to your message in that case than to the barrage of utter crap that was dished out.

To be clear, there is NO excuse for the conduct of those Marines.
    I am the Marine who first started in on him. I can understand and appreciate the things you have said in this thread. However, I don't feel that I have been disgraceful at all. And I will maintain that stance.

What you saw was a fraction of the crap that poolees, wannabes, know-it-all wives/girlfriends, etc bring into those groups. They DO post questions that have been asked thousands of times before just because they are too lazy to look at previous posts. They DO respond to other people's questions about the Marine Corps as if they know what they are talking about because they saw it in a movie, their recruiter told them, they heard it somewhere, or (for the wives and/or girlfriends) their husband/boyfriend told them. You are not seeing the bigger picture.

At the end of the day, it is just the internet. And if these kids are going to let us get under their skin with a little poking on an internet forum, what are they going to do when they get to bootcamp?

I am not trying to feel all high and mighty. But I do feel strongly that his tattoo is disrespectful (as well as a ****-poor design and tattoo job) to all Marines. Past, present, and future.

Look at the things he said before I even got on him about the tattoo. He IS a blowhard. And we all know from experience what happens to blowhards at bootcamp. They cry themselves to sleep in the rack each night and say they want their mommy. They get discharged for "failure to adapt" because they're not as big and bad as they thought they were. And they are generally a waste of time and money.

$0.02.

As Marines, it IS our job to uphold the customs, traditions and discipline instilled in us, and to correct and help educate future Marines. And handling poolies with kid gloves is not part of that job. I can only image the amount of grief that potential poolee would end with up going to bootcamp with a tatoo that wasnt earned. Like said in the earlier post, he could have gotten ANYTHING to cover up his 408 tat. He chose wrong.

Well said Reverse.

Quote Originally Posted by reversehalo
    However, I don't feel that I have been disgraceful at all. And I will maintain that stance.
    What you posted here was far more thoughtful and respectful than how you responded to the poolee. It's also far more respectful than how you interact with the other Marines there. Now that I know you are capable of it, my question is: Why didn't you make the right choice the first time?

What you saw was a fraction of the crap that poolees, wannabes, know-it-all wives/girlfriends, etc bring into those groups. They DO post questions that have been asked thousands of times before just because they are too lazy to look at previous posts. They DO respond to other people's questions about the Marine Corps as if they know what they are talking about because they saw it in a movie, their recruiter told them, they heard it somewhere, or (for the wives and/or girlfriends) their husband/boyfriend told them. You are not seeing the bigger picture.
    I've been around many forums for quite a few years. Do not make the mistake of thinking I am uninformed simply because you don't know me.

We get the same kind of posters here and I'd be willing to bet that there are more poolees that freqent this forum than your myspace group. Search this site and you will find countless examples of Marines correcting poolees and directing them to use the search function. You will also find a decided lack of profane and obscene language while doing so.

Bottom line: It doesn't require attitude and profanity in order to point non-Marines in the right direction.

At the end of the day, it is just the internet. And if these kids are going to let us get under their skin with a little poking on an internet forum, what are they going to do when they get to bootcamp?
    Ah, my point exactly. If it's just the internet, why is it worth making such a huge fuss?

Boot camp will correct the poolee. Who will correct the Marine who doesn't feel the rules apply to them long after boot camp?

I am not trying to feel all high and mighty. But I do feel strongly that his tattoo is disrespectful (as well as a ****-poor design and tattoo job) to all Marines. Past, present, and future.
    You're entitled to your opinion on it. Heck, I think the design sucks. But I'd appreciate if you didn't drag the collective reputation of the Marine Corps through the mud while you're trying to explain your opinion to a poolee of all people.

See how your comments made the jump to another site? A site fully loaded with impressionable poolees?

As long as you claim the title Marine, you're an example for others, past, present, and future. All I ask, is that you act like a proper example of a Marine. Failure to do so reflects on us all.

Look at the things he said before I even got on him about the tattoo. He IS a blowhard. And we all know from experience what happens to blowhards at bootcamp. They cry themselves to sleep in the rack each night and say they want their mommy. They get discharged for "failure to adapt" because they're not as big and bad as they thought they were. And they are generally a waste of time and money.

$0.02.

He is a blowhard. So what? And trust me, I'm stationed at Parris Island right now. I wrote the paperwork for MANY recruits to go home because they weren't cut out for it. So what?

None of that excuses you as a former Marine Sergeant to act the fool on MySpace.

Quote Originally Posted by testforecho2112
    As Marines, it IS our job to uphold the customs, traditions and discipline instilled in us, and to correct and help educate future Marines.
    What part of those customs and courtesies involves the mindless cussing out of other people? I want to know.

What part of discipline is it to verbally lash out at a non-Marine?

Where in all your training to be an NCO did it ever teach you that belittling and berating a subordinate was the proper way to counsel?

And handling poolies with kid gloves is not part of that job.
    I assure you that you can chew someone's ass up one side and down the other without using a single swear word. I would also tell you that MANY Marines on this site who have dealt with poolees and wannabe's for quite some time do not handle them with "kid gloves" yet also do not resort to personal attacks and profane language to make their points.

I can only image the amount of grief that potential poolee would end with up going to bootcamp with a tatoo that wasnt earned.
    Let me enlighten you. As the Series Commander, it was my job to personally inspect each and every tattoo on every single recruit within the Series. Plenty arrived with "moto" tattoos. Some had other very strange tattoos that would raise some serious eyebrows. Some were damn funny. Within 2 hours of pick-up (right about the time I finished my inspections and turned the SDIs loose to start training), no one knew those kids from any other kid there.

Stop imagining some abnormal hell-fire descending on these kids over a tattoo. They have plenty of other things to be quarterdecked for than the crap they do as a poolee.

What you posted here was far more thoughtful and respectful than how you responded to the poolee. It's also far more respectful than how you interact with the other Marines there. Now that I know you are capable of it, my question is: Why didn't you make the right choice the first time?

I've been around many forums for quite a few years. Do not make the mistake of thinking I am uninformed simply because you don't know me.

We get the same kind of posters here and I'd be willing to bet that there are more poolees that freqent this forum than your myspace group. Search this site and you will find countless examples of Marines correcting poolees and directing them to use the search function. You will also find a decided lack of profane and obscene language while doing so.

Bottom line: It doesn't require attitude and profanity in order to point non-Marines in the right direction.

Ah, my point exactly. If it's just the internet, why is it worth making such a huge fuss?

Boot camp will correct the poolee. Who will correct the Marine who doesn't feel the rules apply to them long after boot camp?

You're entitled to your opinion on it. Heck, I think the design sucks. But I'd appreciate if you didn't drag the collective reputation of the Marine Corps through the mud while you're trying to explain your opinion to a poolee of all people.

See how your comments made the jump to another site? A site fully loaded with impressionable poolees?

As long as you claim the title Marine, you're an example for others, past, present, and future. All I ask, is that you act like a proper example of a Marine. Failure to do so reflects on us all.

He is a blowhard. So what? And trust me, I'm stationed at Parris Island right now. I wrote the paperwork for MANY recruits to go home because they weren't cut out for it. So what?

None of that excuses you as a former Marine Sergeant to act the fool on MySpace.
    #1 - I still maintain that I did make the right choice the first time. Just because you say otherwise doesn't mean I'm going along with you or even that you are right. And clearly, I'm not the only one who thinks or feels the way I do about it.

#2 - It's not hard to make a fuss on the internet. And I find it extremely amusing how easy it is for me to ruffle other people's feathers.

#3 - I stand behind EVERY F-bomb I dropped in each and every one of my posts. And I intend to post many more in the future. So stay tuned. Plus, it's obvious on this web site that they like to fill in all the words I like to use with *'s.

#4 - Marines on high horses are lame. Do others respond well to you talking down to them? To me, it just makes you look like a self-righteous prick and in the end, lowers my regard for you.

#5 - Don't try and pass judgement on my intelligence and/or ability to interact with other Marines (or anyone for that matter) based on one thread you saw on MySpace today.

What part of those customs and courtesies involves the mindless cussing out of other people? I want to know.

Where in all your training to be an NCO did it ever teach you that belittling and berating a subordinate was the proper way to counsel?

I assure you that you can chew someone's ass up one side and down the other without using a single swear word. I would also tell you that MANY Marines on this site who have dealt with poolees and wannabe's for quite some time do not handle them with "kid gloves" yet also do not resort to personal attacks and profane language to make their points.

Let me enlighten you. As the Series Commander, it was my job to personally inspect each and every tattoo on every single recruit within the Series. Plenty arrived with "moto" tattoos. Some had other very strange tattoos that would raise some serious eyebrows. Some were damn funny. Within 2 hours of pick-up (right about the time I finished my inspections and turned the SDIs loose to start training), no one knew those kids from any other kid there.

Stop imagining some abnormal hell-fire descending on these kids over a tattoo. They have plenty of other things to be quarterdecked for than the crap they do as a poolee.

Im pretty much with you on everything, Sir, except I really dont agree with poolees getting USMC tattoos before they've finished boot camp. I know its their body, and they can put whatever they want on it, but I just think its kind of silly that you would tattoo something on you for the rest of your life, and might not even make it through. Like if I signed up to be Motor T, but got an "0311" tattoo on myself...it just doesnt make sense.

Now I agree, that NCO did not act in the proper manner at all on that myspace board. I was actually quite disgusted to see what half of those Marines said on there. Yes, I understand they may have been offended/angry, but thats definately no way to go about it.

I encourage Poolees not to get such tattoos until you've actually survived recruit training and earn the title, "Marine". I -have- seen DI's single out recruits that already have had the EGA tattooed on them, but obviously the DI's will have more important things to do than just picking on one recruit the whole time.

But with all due respect, sir, I mostly agree with what you're saying. I guess the tattoo thing is just a matter of personal opinion.

Semper Fi
    -CPL Maines

Let me enlighten you. Your self-righteousness makes me nauseous. Seriously. Did they teach you that at OCS or is it something you were born with? Maybe you can get a vaccination or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Destroyer
    Im pretty much with you on everything, Sir, except I really dont agree with poolees getting USMC tattoos before they've finished boot camp. I know its their body, and they can put whatever they want on it, but I just think its kind of silly that you would tattoo something on you for the rest of your life, and might not even make it through. Like if I signed up to be Motor T, but got an "0311" tattoo on myself...it just doesnt make sense.

Now I agree, that NCO did not act in the proper manner at all on that myspace board. I was actually quite disgusted to see what half of those Marines said on there. Yes, I understand they may have been offended/angry, but thats definately no way to go about it.

I encourage Poolees not to get such tattoos until you've actually survived recruit training and earn the title, "Marine". I -have- seen DI's single out recruits that already have had the EGA tattooed on them, but obviously the DI's will have more important things to do than just picking on one recruit the whole time.

But with all due respect, sir, I mostly agree with what you're saying. I guess the tattoo thing is just a matter of personal opinion.

Semper Fi
    -CPL Maines
    ...Do you even have a spine? Why are you so afraid to disagree w/ an O-2? Why are you afraid to stick to your guns and your opinion? Just because someone is commissioned does not mean they are always right.

...Do you even have a spine? Why are you so afraid to disagree w/ an O-2? Why are you afraid to stick to your guns and your opinion? Just because someone is commissioned does not mean they are always right.

Who said I wasnt sticking to my guns? Thats my personal opinion. I think you completely acted unprofessional when you told a civlian to "shut her man-pleasing c*m dumpster." That really wasnt nescissary at all.

Like I said, I dont think its right for a poolee to get any kind of USMC anything on their arm. Thats my opinion. But poolees are ignorant to our tradition and way of thinking, and sometimes they do stupid things without knowing it. Just like recruits do. Just like "boots" to the fleet do. Im sure no one told him that it wasnt something he should do.

I know you're not sorry for what you said, and thats fine. Thats whats great about America: Freedom of speech. But thats not the way I personally would have gone about it.

Which is why I agree with some (not all) of what the LT is saying.

Sorry if you have a problem with enlisted men agreeing with officers, but its possible to do.

-CPL Maines

Even if he was a Marine, that is a damn ugly tattoo.

We can all agree on this.

Quote Originally Posted by VIKDEM1ZE
    Even if he was a Marine, that is a damn ugly tattoo.

We can all agree on this.
    Probably one of the worst I've seen. lol

Thread Information