Marksmanship Awards
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Marksmanship Awards

Thought I'd start this thread for photos and information on marksmanship awards down through the ages, including historical examples. By all means, post yours if you have em!

WWI Expert Pistol

This is the Pistol Expert award of Captain Joseph Jackson, USMC, dated 1918. Capt Jackson was a Distinguished marksman in 1913.

Here is the reverse, note that it's engraved with his name and the 1918 date.

Both photos courtesy of Bill on USMF Forums.

Elliot and Edson Trophy Badges

Likely many Marines have heard of these competitions, but how many of us have ever seen THESE being worn?

They were found at a flea market by a military collector. The name was buffed off the back. The Elliot is 14k gold, the Edson, 24K gold.

(Images from USMF)

WWII era

WWII or pre WWII era shooting badge, with 2 unusual bars.

Expert Bayonet, and Expert in "C W S Weapons".
    That stands for 'chemical warfare service' and was things like smoke generators, flame throwers, and such.

The reverse..

Images courtesy of US Military Forum, USMF for short.

M1937 marksmanship badge

This one is sort of different. The information contained on this post is also courtesy of my friends at the US Military Forum website.

The "ladder" badge is known as the M1937, and was actually authorized for wear until 1968. The 'small bore' bar was authorized for USMCR units who used a 22 caliber rifle for qualification purposes. Furthermore, if the 'small bore' bar had a prefix of "SS" or "EX", it meant Sharpshooter or Expert. Our Marine here was a Marksman.

The Marksman badge is likely WWII or just before that time period, as is the M1937.

Expert Rifleman with EGA

Here's one you won't see every day for sure. These were strictly unauthorized, private purchase items, but were worn and used by Marines for sure! They date from the 1930's, or earlier, and likely weren't used after WWII. (Some were no doubt bought by Marines during WWII and used tho..)

The reverse

Info from USMF

Very interesting stuff, SGT! Thanks for sharing these pieces of history with us

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    Here's one you won't see every day for sure. These were strictly unauthorized, private purchase items, but were worn and used by Marines for sure! They date from the 1930's, or earlier, and likely weren't used after WWII. (Some were no doubt bought by Marines during WWII and used tho..)

The reverse

Info from USMF
    YES! I wish we had something like that.

I've was always of the opinion that the sharpshooter badge and expert badge should switch places. The Sharpshooter badge just looks more Marine, unlike the expert which is reminiscent of the army.

If you shoot like a Marine you should have a badge that reflects that.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I tried to dig up a history of triple distinguished Marines. I believe there are only 8 total. To be triple distinguished you must be distinguished rifle, distinguished pistol, and international distinguished. It was often believed that it was distinguished shotgun but the international designator comes from international competitions such as the olympics.

Sgt Hoskins you look familiar.... Have we met?

Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker View Post
    I tried to dig up a history of triple distinguished Marines. I believe there are only 8 total. To be triple distinguished you must be distinguished rifle, distinguished pistol, and international distinguished. It was often believed that it was distinguished shotgun but the international designator comes from international competitions such as the olympics.

Sgt Hoskins you look familiar.... Have we met?
    Possible, I was in 92-96. Shot division matches and Marine Corps matches in 95 and 96. Was at Camp Perry to get Presidents 100 in 2005.

My MGySgt just placed 6th at Marine Corps Matches on the rifle and leather on the pistol. He got distinguished a few weeks ago at the Eastern Division Matches.

Quote Originally Posted by sgthoskins View Post
    Possible, I was in 92-96. Shot division matches and Marine Corps matches in 95 and 96. Was at Camp Perry to get Presidents 100 in 2005.
    Did you know a Tim Hamler who shot at Camp Perry in 2005, he would have been a Sgt or maybe SSgt select. Or Dan Goodrich, same match, same rank? I shot at the National Matches at Camp Perry during the summer of 97, but I am far from Distinguished. SF Marine

nice photo

Quote Originally Posted by sgthoskins View Post
    Here is my ugly mug with some of those.

http://northeastshooters.com/scans/USMC_Team_1995.jpg
    great photo brother, where you a PMI. Semper Kill!!

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think when you go distinguished you pick up the 8531 MOS?

Thread Information