"Dress Blue's" now standard issue ..... - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    FEB of '93 we graduated in them...only time I ever wore em!

Credits
    Savings
    Graduated in Oct '93. We were issued them, but graduated in service c's. Only wore them a couple times.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    none got them in boot camp in 1963 but the company hornor recut only ones then whou even had the corps pay for a set was the people whe got seas duty school out of boot camp after sea school

i got dress blues issued to me when i graduated but it was because i had security forces and that was back in 1986.i think shortly after that they started issueing them after basics.must be a budget issue so if they are issueing them again great.however i agree that they will not be graduating in them.

We weren't issued blues in '56.
    We got one regular green blouse, two pair of trousers and a battle jacket.
    Also got three sets of khakis, one set of tropicals, three sets of hbt utilities, one pair boondockers, one pair boots--both rough side out like today's issue-- and BROWN dress shoes--which we had to dye brown and work on for the entire three months before they finallly took a spit shine. They were a natural leather color when issued.
    Oh, and an M1 rifle.
    And, Jonny Destroyer, our weapons company (2-9) machine gun platoon had the old water cooled .30s. Shoot 'em all day.
    Other tidbits:
    We wore emblems on the collars of our khaki shirts.
    Our tie clasp was bronze. They were replaced by gold ones later.
    I was a corporal as an E-3. Then when I made E-4 in '59 I was a corporal again.
    Belts and buckles were about 1/8 inch larger until about 1959 when they were knocked down tot he current size. I still have my old, larger buckles.
    I really miss my old m44 "raider" utility cover.

I had to buy mine, and I graduated in 2006

so do we get reimbursement for those of us who had to pay for the blues?
    seems fair

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Only the top Marine in our platoon got dress blues,the rest of the platoon wore dress greens. Plus they don,t make them in my size,the six pack turned into a keg at 56.

Quote Originally Posted by dmellow45 View Post
    so do we get reimbursement for those of us who had to pay for the blues?
    seems fair

Ok even if they are issued in Boot Camp you still pay for them. They would not reimburse you for buying your blues since you get a clothing allowance.

My company was the first to get them issued this most recent turn of standard issuing. It went into effect Oct 1st of last year that new recruits would be issued full dress blues, and it just so happens that my company went to clothing to get all our dress items and such issued on that day.

I graduated 20081105. I was 'issued' dress blues without the belt buckle. I say 'issued' because I had to pay for them. The clothing allowance was $800 at the most and all my uniform expenses were over $1000.

Haha my first set of Dress Blues came from an Army Surplus store, I had walked in at the right time while on Boot Leave walked in to find the jacket and tried it on and it fit like a glove it even had the PFC striped on it and all the emblems. I then found me a pair of trousers and a brand new cover and belt buckle and belt. Bought it all for 250 dollars, had them dry cleaned at a quick dry cleaning place and shocked my parents on Sunday when I came down the stairs in full dress blues for church lol.

All the uniforms are issued...but...you end up paying for all of them as soon as you graduate...hence why I'm broke. lol

LOL. Yep. Platoon and Company honorman got em when I graduated in 1982.

I ended up getting issued 2 complete sets at Marine Barracks Annapolis tho.

BTW, latest word is that wintertime at PI, new Marines graduate in Alphas.

Thread Information