Jeeps-mighty Mites Or Hummers
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Jeeps-mighty Mites Or Hummers

I have never driven a HUMMER,but drove a JEEP a few times, but mostly drove a MIGHTY MITE.
    Lets hear from some of y'all who drove these.
    What one do you like better.

SEMPER FI / WELCOME HOME

When I was in 81s.......

in Vietnam I drove a Mule. Loved that vehicle.

SF, Preacher

Mighty Mite

My MOS was 3531. In Viet Nam I drove a Duece -and- a- half, a PC, a Jeep and a Mighty Mite. I preferred the jeep, the mighty mite was to small if i remember right didn't have a whole lot of power.

When I was In Motor transport 56- 71 the only HUMMERS we ever saw were along side of the road (the two legged type)

Credits
    Savings
    Jeep
    everytime
    will take your sorry butt anywhere
    not a wussy automatic,don't require a co driver to watch starbord side.

I drove the modified M151 while I was with TOW Company 3rd Tank BN in the Stumps.
    Does anyone know where I might find one to purchase?

Quote Originally Posted by jebollenbach
    I drove the modified M151 while I was with TOW Company 3rd Tank BN in the Stumps.
    We used to take those old suped up 151's when we were in the field in NTA and CTA and beat the living crap out of them, but they almost always kept on going. We really we rode them hard, rolled them, rolled them back over, and tore all over and through the jungle. A few of them that belonged to Weapons Co., had racing harness' in them and a nice roll bar/gun mount. It definitely helped a few guys who ended up on their side.

But I will say having driven both, or I guess all 3, the standard 151, the modified 151, and the HUMMER variations. I've driven them all and the HUMMER wins hands down every time. The only advantage that I can see with the 151's is the size. Other then that, I think the military HUMMER is one of that baddest military vehicles on the earth.

Of course they don't hold up to well to IED's but nobody really designed them originally with that purpose in mind. Can't speak for it personally but I'd imagined even armored up they still take a beating from the shells the terrorist pigs rig up?

The only problem is you can put uparmor on a Jeep!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I agree the hummer is an advance in almost every area over the jeep. One thing lost was the jeep w/trailer fit perfectly inside a 46 or 53. Extra bird and you had a trailer load of water and chow pulled by a tough little machine.

If a jeep hit an IED you would be pulling pieces of it off the moon but it was still a good piece of gear.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I Never had the pleasure of driving a Hummer. However I have driven my share of Jeeps! I logged in well over 2500 hours in them myself over the years. Those little bastards would go like there was no tomorow, In four wheel drive they would not get stuck, hell you had to bottom them out to get them stuck. As long as one wheel was on the ground that baby would pull! They were fast, easy to drive, but easy to flip over because of the short wheel base. That 1/4 ton jeep would pull water Buffalos. 105s, and almost any other trailor that you could hitch up to it! I loved that little 1/4 ton trailor best, you could haul a lot of supplies on that little devil and fast. They were simple 4 cylinder engines (which was good to heat your C-Rats on the manifold), 4 speed Tranny, manual steering, but durable as hell! Plus they were all convertables! LOL

The thing had many down sides to. Like the gas tank was under the drivers seat. While that made it easy to refuel (the driver didn't even have to dismount the thing), one well placed round could take the thing out with a BANG!

But then they, like me, were from another time!

Well you asked for our opinion and that is mine!

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jebollenbach
    Man I would love to own a real jeep, not the Chrysler ones but the Willys, Mules and Mighty Mites.

Type "military jeeps" on a search engine and you'll get a lot of places that sell jeeps as well as soft body and armoured vehicles.

DROVE A MULE A FEW TIMES WITH A 106 ON BOARD.
    IT WAS KIND OF FUN WITH ALL WHEELS USED TO STEER.
    I LIKED THE MIGHTY MITE BETTER,I THINK IT HALLED AS MUCH AS A JEEP.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    i walked everywhere sooooo i aint got a clue????

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I rode back seat jeep. with CO driving, and Xo as shotgun.I had comm. Loved that little sh!t. Saved my life once. Deflected a popup aimed at my kidneys.
    Hummer may be better, I will never know. Probibly is.

My husbands got one of those old Willys Jeeps that he is working on putting back together. I must say it will be interesting to see him actually finish it.

Thread Information