Transfer from Army to Corp - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Well at the age of 34 I wonder, but still to this day miss it very much.I just thought I would see what everyone else would think.Thanks for the reply.

I just went to boot camp early this year, and we had a prior service in my platoon. He was 33, served 3 years in the Air Force, and 5 years in the Army. He had an Iraq deployment and a few ribbons he was allowed to transfer over. He came out of boot as an E-2 (PFC), which is usually the highest. I did see a prior service get LCpl, but that's extremely rare.

Through boot he didn't really catch much flak, the DI's respected him, except one that had his convoy attacked and shot at by the Army. Anyway, he came out of boot with a hash...pretty cool. You should be fine, just keep your head up.

I think from my research you will loose one rank. From what Ive been told there are a few 34 year old Lcpl's floating around who got out and came back in. Don't stress about the age thing. Im going back reserves and the Marines that were I&I were making fun that my first enlistment was in WW2 haha!

Quote Originally Posted by mriechard View Post
    I was discharged in 1996 as a LCPL.I went into the Army in 2005 and picked up my E-5in 2007.Now the question I have is it worth losing rank
    to wear the CORPS uniform again or should I stay where I'm at.
    Are you active? It seems like it would be a mistake to try to go back to the Marines, given your time in service. Wouldn't you have to pick up rank pretty fast in order to avoid getting the boot?

Quote Originally Posted by Supersquishy View Post
    I think from my research you will loose one rank. From what Ive been told there are a few 34 year old Lcpl's floating around who got out and came back in. Don't stress about the age thing. Im going back reserves and the Marines that were I&I were making fun that my first enlistment was in WW2 haha!
    How have you found the process to be for going back into the reserves after an extended separation? How long were you on active duty?

Quote Originally Posted by samthomas View Post
    How have you found the process to be for going back into the reserves after an extended separation? How long were you on active duty?
    AD for 5 years, process is really not bad so far. The thing that is frustrating is how slow it has taken me( I guess this is the norm from everyone Ive talked to). I could have done this in 3 months flat. Also it depends on how hard your PSR works for you. The only waiver I need is for the off contract waiver, no big deal. The big deals now a days are for Tatoos and any medical issues etc.

Quote Originally Posted by polizei View Post
    I just went to boot camp early this year, and we had a prior service in my platoon. He was 33, served 3 years in the Air Force, and 5 years in the Army. He had an Iraq deployment and a few ribbons he was allowed to transfer over. He came out of boot as an E-2 (PFC), which is usually the highest. I did see a prior service get LCpl, but that's extremely rare.

Through boot he didn't really catch much flak, the DI's respected him, except one that had his convoy attacked and shot at by the Army. Anyway, he came out of boot with a hash...pretty cool. You should be fine, just keep your head up.
    He's already been through boot camp. He wouldn't have to go through it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersquishy View Post
    AD for 5 years...
    I have been thinking about trying to go back for the reserves. I got in 2001, after four years on AD. Were you able to choose your MOS, or were you limited with options?

Quote Originally Posted by samthomas View Post
    I have been thinking about trying to go back for the reserves. I got in 2001, after four years on AD. Were you able to choose your MOS, or were you limited with options?
    I wanted to go to a certain unit and the PSR(whom you should contact) gave me the MOS's that were needed for that unit. I was given two choices. You will need to lat move if your original MOS doesnt work with them. No big deal as far as I know as long as you meet the requirements from your asvab scores. If I were you I would get moving on this if this is what you want. Call your PSR and ask questions, he is the expert for you.
    PM me with any other questions you have.

Thanks. I contacted a PSR today.

I was four years active duty in the Air Force. I left the Air Force as an E-4. I went Marine Corps in 2008. The highest you can possibly get out of boot camp is LCPL. Even if you graduated honorman in bootcamp or ITB or MOS school you will not get meritorious to CPL. I left with a contract guaranteeing me LCPL upon graduation of boot camp and CPL six months to the day upon completion of my MOS producing school. That being said, there was a former Air Force E-5 in another company the same time I was going through ITB and he was only a PFC. A lot has to do with who works your package. Also depending on your MOS you can pick up rank pretty quick. Most of the guys I went through BRC with actually picked up CPL before me because I had to wait six months per my contract. I know more about this process than most because it is pretty rare and it's a pretty different process than just coming in fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by rnickiv View Post
    I was four years active duty in the Air Force. I left the Air Force as an E-4. I went Marine Corps in 2008. The highest you can possibly get out of boot camp is LCPL. Even if you graduated honorman in bootcamp or ITB or MOS school you will not get meritorious to CPL. I left with a contract guaranteeing me LCPL upon graduation of boot camp and CPL six months to the day upon completion of my MOS producing school. That being said, there was a former Air Force E-5 in another company the same time I was going through ITB and he was only a PFC. A lot has to do with who works your package. Also depending on your MOS you can pick up rank pretty quick. Most of the guys I went through BRC with actually picked up CPL before me because I had to wait six months per my contract. I know more about this process than most because it is pretty rare and it's a pretty different process than just coming in fresh.
    What kind of contract guaranteed you E3 upon graduation? I went to boot camp with a guy that left 9 years in the Navy as a Chief-select. Graduated MCRD with 12 ribbons on his chest and two service stripes. Under no circumstances would they guarantee him LCpl upon graduation. It only goes to the company honorman and that's if he's already a PFC. Our company honorman was a private so we had no LCpls.

And I really don't see how any contract could promise Cpl after any period of time. The promotion regs are pretty specific about it, including meritorious promotions.

At one time there were 'contract Corporals'. Those with college, etc. Guaranteed Cpl within a certain time period.

And, as a re-tread in 97, I was guaranteed Corporal after six months, which I got. However, that was also due to the fact that in those days, if you'd been out for a good while, you lost rank. (I went from a SSgt 'select' to LCpl). I picked up Sgt (again) a year later, but you get the idea.

The Marine Corps can make whatever contracts it desires to do, depending on the times and the individual situation. Never say never when it comes to contracts, because sure enough, you'll be contradicted either by the Corps or someone who comes along and says "That happened to me". Promotion regulations are changed constantly, depending on the "needs of the Corps". What's 'not happening' this month could next month be 'standard'.

BTW, nowadays the Corps DOESN'T take your rank away when you are a 're-tread', but they did it to me. "Needs of the Corps". (They also made me completely re-train into a brand new MOS...and they don't do that anymore, either....).

very interesting. must have been one hell of a good recruiter

Nope. Just the way it was then. I wanted back IN bad enough to suck it up.

Thread Information