Marine or marine? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Marine Free Member SgtHopperUSMC's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Osotogary
    I've been a member now for, I'm guessing, a little over five years now and this question I am about to ask I don't really recall asking it or if I saw this question and following answer before....bear with me.
    I just finished reading a book about Marine Corps Scout/Snipers in Iraq and the word "marine" was always written with a lower case "m" unless the word "marine " was starting a sentence. My question is, when is it proper to capitalize the M in Marine? I know that a lot of good natured ball busting gets directed to those, especially, poolies and newbies who do not capitalize the word Marine. What's the scoop? My guess is that as soon as the word becomes "formal" as in United States Marine Corps or at the beginning of a sentence, eg., Marine, what the %$#@ are you doing?, the M is upper case; all other usages of the word Marine are begin with a lower case m. Am I on the right track, Marines or marines?
    Gary
    It's a proper noun. Gee did I get that right?

Quote Originally Posted by FISTFU68
    WOW,IM UNIMPRESSED(LOL) SO HE WAS A scout sniper MARINE
    priceless

Credits
    Savings
    Marineshould be capitalized, why, because we said so. Call it
    tradition, but ever since the Internet and many Marine websites and all
    the former Marines on those sites said capital M, then my friend,
    its capital M. And I don't care if its proper or not its tradition.
    Its why we stand when the Marines Hymn is played,
    we don't care if the Army, Navy or Airforce don't stand, we do.
    Its called TRADITION.

Bruce

http://wallofhonor.bravehost.com

Well, it should be capitalized by Marines because the Commandant ordered it so. Can't remember the exact year or the exact Commandant, but there was an order put out directing that the word Marine be capitalized. However, non Marines obviously don't fall under the authority of the Commandant and are not required to capitalize it. It's nice when they do, but I don't expect it.

S/F

Marine Spouse Free Member Idena's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by MSgtSki
    Well, it should be capitalized by Marines because the Commandant ordered it so. Can't remember the exact year or the exact Commandant, but there was an order put out directing that the word Marine be capitalized. However, non Marines obviously don't fall under the authority of the Commandant and are not required to capitalize it. It's nice when they do, but I don't expect it.

S/F
    In writing it should always be capitalized, even by non-Marines, because the AP Stylebook stipulates it so. So journalists & other professional writers have no excuse for not capitalizing the word, either! The Commandant & "The Journalist's 'Bible'" agree on that!

"Marine", as in United States Marine Corps,

"marine", as in squid, lowest form of marine life, hehe.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    So, I guess the answer is.....YES, Marine, in the context of referring to the United States Marine Corps, should always have a capital (uppercase) M.
    Thanks to all of you for your enthusiastic replies. I'm thinking that this thread should part this website's guidelines for those other than Marines.
    Once again, many thanks.
    Gary

Post...MARCH!

Allways use a capotil "M"

And then kiss my ring.
    SEMPER FI

Quote Originally Posted by MarineNCO
    Marine is to be capitalized since it refers to a title and is sometimes used in place of a proper name (e.g. Hey Marine, adjust your cover!", Vice President of Sales, Mr Jones, Public Relations Officer etc etc).

One thing I have noticed in some books when it is not capitalized is generally due to the program that checks spelling, grammar and puncuation.

About the only time I expect to see (or use) the word "marine" not capitalized is when it is used in reference to water terms (marine life for example) or as used in this sentence.
    I agree with MarineNCO (see above)!!!

Man if I knew how to spell,I would have made my
    4th star.......:]
    SEMPER FI MARINES

Better never ever let me catch a Squid sittin on his arse with my Marine Hymn playin cause i will snatch his arse..

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ecfree
    Man if I knew how to spell,I would have made my
    4th star.......:]
    SEMPER FI MARINES
    Hell, officers can't spell, they just know how to use "Power Point!" (and spell check)

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Idena
    In writing it should always be capitalized, even by non-Marines, because the AP Stylebook stipulates it so. So journalists & other professional writers have no excuse for not capitalizing the word, either! The Commandant & "The Journalist's 'Bible'" agree on that!
    HOLY SH#T!!!! The Commandant and the press agree on something . Don't let the press find out

Capital "M" always OORAH Marine Corps

Thread Information