Need suggestions for training
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Need suggestions for training

Hello everyone,

I was recently given the duty of keeping a deck of devil dogs gainfully employed while they wait to class up for their MOS training. They are all fresh out of MCT and currently do nothing except go to formations and clean the barracks. What I'm looking for are some suggestions for training that will keep them busy so they are not just wasting away in the barracks all day. I've already arranged some first aid classes with some FMF corpsmen, and I'm looking to have some Air Force PJ's come and give them some desert survival training, but that's about all I've come up with so far.

I can always do guided discussions and leadership classes, but I'd really like to get them outside doing something physical if possible. Does anyone have any ideas? I'd appreciate any input that anyone has.

S/F

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Carno
    Hello everyone,

I was recently given the duty of keeping a deck of devil dogs gainfully employed while they wait to class up for their MOS training. They are all fresh out of MCT and currently do nothing except go to formations and clean the barracks. What I'm looking for are some suggestions for training that will keep them busy so they are not just wasting away in the barracks all day. I've already arranged some first aid classes with some FMF corpsmen, and I'm looking to have some Air Force PJ's come and give them some desert survival training, but that's about all I've come up with so far.

I can always do guided discussions and leadership classes, but I'd really like to get them outside doing something physical if possible. Does anyone have any ideas? I'd appreciate any input that anyone has.

S/F
    Lucky you. Your ideas are a really good start - first aid and survival tricks are always useful skills for a Marine of any MOS. Another suggestion, possibly get a MCMAP trainer to start them working on their next belt up, or just to improve their existing tan belt skills. They may not have the time to earn the next belt up, but they'll be better prepared when they have to.

Of course, plain old PT kills some time too.

Thanks for the post. Coincidentally their troop handler just earned his instructor tab, so I will have them doing as much MCMAP as I can fit in.

I guess I'm not so much asking for things for them to do as I am asking if anyone remembers doing something they really learned a lot from or that they really enjoyed that doesn't necessarily have to do with training for a particular MOS.

I do have some interesting events planned out for them to do in addition to their normal PT; some squad and fire team races that incorporate teamwork and knowledge and PT.

Take them on a run at the beach in boots and utes. Make'em jump in the water and roll aroudn in the sand. Then have them do some ciruit stuff and run back. Of course do it with them so it's not considered hazing lol. Best PT i've ever gotten was when my old Plt Commander made us do a boots and utes with our assault pack filled. Ran to different stations and did different exercises. Then ran down to Marston Pavilion and jumped in the river. And ran back.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Carno
    Thanks for the post. Coincidentally their troop handler just earned his instructor tab, so I will have them doing as much MCMAP as I can fit in.

I guess I'm not so much asking for things for them to do as I am asking if anyone remembers doing something they really learned a lot from or that they really enjoyed that doesn't necessarily have to do with training for a particular MOS.

I do have some interesting events planned out for them to do in addition to their normal PT; some squad and fire team races that incorporate teamwork and knowledge and PT.
    I don't know what your Marines are going to school for at P-Cola, other than something aviation related probably. I supposed what would be considered fun would probably be somewhat MOS specific, yet a bit out of the comfort zone.

As an example, when I was at MP Co, 1stMarDiv our company commander brought in the Camp Pendleton fire department and had those of us not at Base PMO on FAP taught the bare basics of firefighting so we: #1-Knew how and why to stay out of the way, and #2-If we did need to help, at least we could stretch hose, safely hold a nozzle, and know which tools were which.

We also learned advanced first aid and how to extricate car accident victims correctly (back board, spine board, C-collar, etc).

All of that was very interesting to most of us and eventually led me to become a paramedic as well as a police officer.

Of course, we were all trained, and mostly experienced, MPs already. Your guys don't know much about their jobs to be yet. Perhaps a tour of the flight line, or if they still have that aircraft carrier there, maybe a tour aboard (and a chance to learn how to properly board a ship via the quarterdeck, etc.)

get them out on patrols, night and day. Map orientation, compass reading and stuff like that. let each one be in charge of the mission. every Marine should be a leader and a good time to instill that in them.

If you have access to a classroom with a computer that the whole class can see, give them a class on MOL. Give them a class on MyPay. Take them to admin and request their MOL password and MyPay pin. Get someone (qualified) to give them a financial class.

If they haven't done their taxes yet, get them done. Get with your local S3 and have them take their BST test.

If you need any more suggestions, POIs etc, hit me up via PM. I'm an instructor at an entry level school house as well and am well versed in this.

A Map and Compass course is often exhilarating fun unless its raining or pitch dark and your tired hungry and wet and have to climb under your poncho to read the map so nobody will see your flashlight and you forget to declinate for magnetic north. (Pensacola 1.39' degrees W. no worries, skate.)

A team can share a map and compass and navigation duty's if you cant gather enough supply's. Checkpoints? a stake in the ground with a dash of fluorescent paint on it. The civilian version of "orienteering" is helpful with ideas on how to set up a course that will physically and mentally challenge your crew. You did this at Quantico yes?

--->Dave

Thanks for the ideas gents. I've currently got them working on their taxes and doing MCI's, but I've not thought about MOL or MyPay. They're also cycling through HMMWV, bus and forklift courses as well.

I appreciate the responses, it's given me some things to look into as well as more ideas. We did a lot in Quantico, however the limited amount of resources that I have available here makes it hard for me to prac app a lot of it, although I do plan on teaching it.

S/F

over here on camp johnson all our troop handlers are 03's that are about to get out, our entry levels students really enjoy getting more combat training, ie going on patrol's, clearing the squad bays and learning tactics from the people who've already been there

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Perhaps as a reward after a tough training day, schedule a trip to the local MCL. Make sure the MCL has some Veteran Marines ready to pass on some Legacy.

That's one thing I missed as a youngster. I learned the History but I missed the concept of the Legacy which I will always be responsible for carrying.

I think this is the first LT. I have ever seen that needed training ideas, usually their minds are going a mile a minute with a million training ideas.
    Hmmm

Gunny Nichols,

*Big chuckle*

A wonderful Corps quote comes to mind when I read your post, "Good initiative, bad Judgement". Not saying the good LT is doing that, just the opposite, he's tapping a major source of ideas.

I've seen more than a couple LT's (2nd and 1st), who got the bit of an idea in their teeth and ran with it, to much amusement and more grumbling from the troops. We followed the orders, but boy did we have some good laughs back at the barracks when the senior officers and some senior SNCOs got wind of the goings on.

I'll leave the rest to your own imagination or personal memories...

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny Nichols
    I think this is the first LT. I have ever seen that needed training ideas, usually their minds are going a mile a minute with a million training ideas.
    Hmmm
    In my short experience in the Corps it is usually "make work" that has little bearing on mission. I am glad to see the Lt is looking for things other than cleaning the barracks and sitting around doing nothing. Presenting a challenge for the Marines will help keep them motivated and focused on being a Marine.

Hah, I knew sooner or later something like this was going to come up. I have plenty of things for them to do that are related and non-related to their MOS, so don't think I'm using this site as a crutch. However, if I can learn something or glean some knowledge from the vast amount of Marine Corps experience that is on this website, then why not?

Thread Information