The Black Rifle - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: The Black Rifle

Okay guys, just got back from the range, things I noticed. I got the AK-47, and the AR-15. I was shooting from 50 yards. I could easily group rounds from both weapons in the bullseye. I shot 5 rounds from each weapon. All were centered. Both are pretty accurate at this distance. Only thing is, is that the AR-15 can be fired rapidly and still be accurate, the AK can't. Also while I was using the AR, it freakin jammed! The AK never did once. The AR had little too no recoil, it was great. I don't know which weapon I would prefer, but I do know that the AR would be more accurate at a distance. Only thing that I didn't like was the AR jammed! I even had a Marine next to me who helped me clear the jam, and he had never seen a jam like that before, we finally got it out, I thought it was a shell, but it was a live round!

Talking The Black Rifle

Hey Nez46 did you go to the Recon link I left at Ask a Marine
    Cpl B

Talking The Black Rifle

Did you "HEEL" the mag before you inserted it?
    Cpl B

Quote Originally Posted by ttracker65
    Did you "HEEL" the mag before you inserted it?
    Cpl B
    OMG your good, I bet that was it!

Talking The Black Rifle

I only ask because I have sat and watched 200 people shoot the assault course with only one person jambing and a group of us called it before it happened when we saw him not tap the mag.
    Cpl B

I only ask because I have sat and watched 200 people shoot the assault course with only one person jambing and a group of us called it before it happened when we saw him not tap the mag.
    Cpl B
    I noticed some rounds where crookid and I was like...hmm they will probably straighten out haha, guess not . The AK just chewed through rounds though, crookid or not!

Can you guys tell I was having fun?

OK all you m-16 or m-4 lovers go tell your love of the m16-m4 to the families of the dead Marines on hill 881-S who had there m-16's broke open and trying to un jam them.

I understand your point but it's a totally different weapon. The weapon that caused those unfortunate deaths has been greatly improved. Maybe the shell looks simliar but that's it. Think of it like the early bombs that we used to drop with no guidance systems, they killed a lot of innocent friendlies on the ground. Today, it's the same basic bomb, or missle, only tweaked to be able to walk right into the bedroom of choice. Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Motto Poolee
    Can you guys tell I was having fun?
    I can tell from your picture that you don't understand the four firearm safety rules very well.

1. Treat every weapon as if it were loaded.
    2. Never point your weapon at anything you do not intend to shoot.
    3. Keep your finger straight and off the trigger until you intend to fire.
    4. Be aware of your target and what is beyond it.

You've basically violated them all right here; as far as I'm concerned you are pointing a loaded weapon at or near your foot, with your trigger on, in, or around the inside of the trigger guard. In schools I taught you would be talking to the Captain right now about why we should keep you around. If you were allowed to stay you would definitely have a red stamp in your book and one more of those and you are gone without question. We take it that seriously. You are young and will hopefully learn.

I'm sure you had fun and nobody got hurt but always be aware and practicing those 4 firearm safety rules. It is no joke, guys who have taught weapons for 50 years can make mistakes also. Nobody is immune to firearms safety violations. So always be aware of it.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    It seems we have a Russian Stand Off here (3 ways)!

We have us old salts that saw the M16 in its infant stage, with all its faults. Then we have the professionals of today that know the modern weapons and can better compare them. Then last, but not least, we have the Poolees...yes the ultra super experts in weapons!

Now if I was interested in weapons I would have a hard choice to make as to who to listen to! The Poolees are giving thier EXPERT advice, the professionals are giving the facts, and us Old Salts are giving our experiences. Now if I were about to go to war, I think I would listen to the professionals! But that's just me.

That's my 2 cents.

Dave

The whole damn weapon system is still a piece of ****. Two and one half divisions of Marines hated the damn thing. And I bet that most of them feel the same way. As long as I have sons in the military ( 1 a Marine) I will ***** about it and as long as I remember 5 buddies on 881S I will ***** for them. BTW my son hates it too. He grew up shooting a 308 and 7mm Remington Mag. That's the way I feel. S/F

Quote Originally Posted by thewookie
    I can tell from your picture that you don't understand the four firearm safety rules very well.

1. Treat every weapon as if it were loaded.
    2. Never point your weapon at anything you do not intend to shoot.
    3. Keep your finger straight and off the trigger until you intend to fire.
    4. Be aware of your target and what is beyond it.

You've basically violated them all right here; as far as I'm concerned you are pointing a loaded weapon at or near your foot, with your trigger on, in, or around the inside of the trigger guard. In schools I taught you would be talking to the Captain right now about why we should keep you around. If you were allowed to stay you would definitely have a red stamp in your book and one more of those and you are gone without question. We take it that seriously. You are young and will hopefully learn.

I'm sure you had fun and nobody got hurt but always be aware and practicing those 4 firearm safety rules. It is no joke, guys who have taught weapons for 50 years can make mistakes also. Nobody is immune to firearms safety violations. So always be aware of it.
    Ya, sorry about that. I see what you are saying. I had just got done shooting, and placed every round in the bullseye, so I was pretty happy. No excuse though. The weapon was on safe, and I had just got done clearning the chamber, but I see your concerns.

The newer model and the model being tested by speciel forces is Not a 5.56 but is of the 6.8 SPC breed and it will go through soft positions (wood, cinder and light fortified positions) And has a much higher energy than the 5.56 but has a lower muzzel velocity comparable to the .308 as well as a longer effective range. It is being considered a Mid range sniper rifle (300 yds) the Military designation is the M-468

The M-16 is Not a .223 but 5.56 (there is a difference) and there have been complaints of it penetrateing cinder, dirt and in a few instances clothes.

But as in all thing's Ya gotta hit 'em to kill 'em

Cpl B
    The .223 and the 5.56 shoot the same ammo according to Panther Arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Motto Poolee
    I was certain the M-14 was replaced due to it being to good. The United States did a study in WWII, figuring out that the average infantryman only engages targets to a certain distance on average, that distance not being far at all. The M-14 could meet that requirement and very much exceed it. It was also harder to produce. So from what I know, it was better than what the US Military needed, to expensive, and used a round they didn't want to use. The smaller the ammo, the more you can carry, that is what the military wants. So Eugene Stoners design worked, the M-16. It almost did make it though, it was definitely almost turned down many times. I've been hearing the A-4 models are awesome?
    The M-16 was lighter and very accurate but it had to be kept clean and they say the fight has gotten closer through the years so they figured they could get by with the smaller rifle, I seen where a Marine General was saying a Marine today would carry 1500 rounds each.

Thread Information