Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    WOW! I'm getting excited hahaha.

Thanks again for all your help!

Marine Free Member Matt Brzycki's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I was nominated for meritorious promotion to sergeant back in Nov 77 at what was then MCB 29 Palms. First hadda go in front of a board from my unit. Didn't get past that. Rightfully so as I was ill-prepared for the questions. Good experience, though. I was put up again two months later and made it. I seem to recall a lot of general Marine Corps questions and others unrelated to my MOS. I remember one general question was who I respected most in our unit and why.

I did hear a really funny anecdote from a friend of mine who was in the motor pool, Sgt Ronnie Keaton from Arkansas. (You out there, man?) Ronnie said that when he went up for a meritorious promotion, he was asked if he could drive an M112 or something or other. He said, "Yes sir!" which drew a few chuckles from the board. The guy who asked the question then informed him that an M112 (or whatever) was a water buffalo. Then, Ronnie stated, "Sir, a Marine can do anything." Needless to say, that response earned him a promotion.

Matt Brzycki
    Sergeant (1975-79)

So tonight, while discussing meritorious promotions with the Marine of the house, he stated that he has the best wife ever.. because of my "unrelenting" (I don't know if that's good or bad) support.. and went on to tell me about a friend of his:

This particular friend used to be running neck and neck for promotions on time and ahead of others.. but recently has gotten himself in a rutt. He has poor performance, tries to get out of everything as much as possible, and has had MCIs laying around for months on end. My husband told me that his lack of motivation is probably directly related to the fact that he spends so much time away from his wife, who doesn't really understand the nature of military life and responsibilities. When she does have the chance to move back to be with him, things might be different, especially when she understands what he has to do to get ahead.. or even caught up.

It makes me think.. and realize to a deeper note that the things I am doing right now are the things that help keep my husband motivated and moving along the right track. Please, if my questions at anytime or place start to get too overwhelming (as in too many), remember that I'm just trying to support my husband the best way I know how. A prepared Marine is a good Marine. That's what I think.. and the prepared wife is the ultimate tool for a prepared Marine.

I appreciate all the help everyone's given me in being a more prepared USMC spouse. I hope to learn everything I can.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Being the season of love.....this just makes me all warm and fuzzy!

Good luck to your Marine husband!

OMG.. I forgot tomorrow was V-day. Oh no...

What do you get a Marine for Valentine's day?

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    TMI....

:: cough ::

Other than that. You always know that cards and flowers and candies and stuff like that work for girls... but what do you get a Marine?

The "TMI" stuff.. that's not a gift. LOL

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by DobbinsBlythe

Other than that. You always know that cards and flowers and candies and stuff like that work for girls... but what do you get a Marine?

It always was from my 1st wife.

Lasted 93 days.

Bisch!!

BELT FED WEAPONS!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    OMG.. I forgot tomorrow was V-day. Oh no...

What do you get a Marine for Valentine's day?
    A 6 pack of beer and a sheep herders sandwich, Always worked for me! LMAO!

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardLawrence
    BELT FED WEAPONS!
    wow.. under the $500 range...

Besides, he already has a TON of weapons. I'm so at a loss...

Food works right?

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    ZIPPER fed weapons are much cheaper Leonard and are more fun!

I just found out that there may not be a board.. and that he may have just been "nominated" or "recommended" to be promoted to Sgt. Evidentally you have to be "submitted" to have any sort of consideration promotion-wise.

Is that what it sounds like to you guys? He really doesn't know if there will be a board or not. Now I'm thoroughly confused... YAY!

I believe that you're referring to the recommendation for promotion. Every Marine that is eligible by TIG/TIS requirements (regardless of cutting score) has to either be recommended or not recommended for promotion by their senior. For most Marines, they don't even think about it. However, it is a tool that the leadership has to make sure only the most qualified Marines are able to be promoted. Non-rec requires justification and a page 11 entry however, so it's not a light measure by any means.

Quote Originally Posted by Isrowei
    I believe that you're referring to the recommendation for promotion. Every Marine that is eligible by TIG/TIS requirements (regardless of cutting score) has to either be recommended or not recommended for promotion by their senior. For most Marines, they don't even think about it. However, it is a tool that the leadership has to make sure only the most qualified Marines are able to be promoted. Non-rec requires justification and a page 11 entry however, so it's not a light measure by any means.

What do you mean by Non-rec and light measures?
    You're confusing me a little. I know that the suggestion that someone thinks my husband is deserving of a promotion to Sgt is DEFINATELY not a light matter. I'm super excited that he's being acknowledged. Anyway, please enlighten me. This is the most detail I've really gotten.. other than the info about the Marine Corps knowledge and bearing.

Oh yeah, and to update everyone, he's deploying next month

Only 90 days though.. and I can't say exactly when hehe.. Yay for OPSEC!

What do you get a Marine for Valentine's day?...Food works right?
    Yeah it works to plug a hole in an empty belly for a couple of hours. But a gift certificate from Danner boots should last about one year

--->Dave

Thread Information