NCO Creed
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NCO Creed

NCO Creed

My Corporal and I were talking today about the NCO Creed. The versions were totally different. I was wondering if anyone here knew the "official" Marine NCO Creed. The two different versions are as follows:

The one I learned:

I am a Marine NCO dedicated to training new Marines and influencing the old. I am forever concious of the Marines under my charge, and by example will inspire him to the highest standards possible. I will strive to be understanding, just, and firm. I will commend the deserving and encourage the wayward.

I will never forget that I am responsible to my Commanding officer for the morale, discipline, and efficiency of my men. Their performance will reflect an image of me.

Here is the one my Corporal learned:

I am the backbone of the United States Marine Corps, I am a Marine Non-Commissioned Officer. I serve as part of the vital link between my commander (and all officers) and enlisted Marines. I will never forget who I am or what I represent. I will challenge myself to the limit and be ever attentive to duty. I am now, more than ever, committed to excellence in all that I do, so that I can set the proper example for other Marines. I will demand of myself all the energy, knowledge and skills I possess, so that I can instill confidence in those I teach. I will constantly strive to perfect my own skills and to become a good leader. Above all I will be truthful in all I say or do. My integrity shall be impeccable as my appearance. I will be honest with myself, with those under my charge and with my superiors. I pledge to do my best to incorporate all the leadership traits into my character. For such is the heritage I have received from that long, illustrious line of professionals who have worn the bloodstripe so proudly before me. I must give the very best I have for my Marines, my Corps and my Country for though today I instruct and supervise in peace, tomorrow, I may lead in war.

The question I have is this: Which is correct? Was the NCO Creed changed due to political correctness? (The first one is written in the male form). Is there no official version? Please advise.

U.S. Marine Corps: NCO and Staff NCO Creed
    NCO (Non-Commissioned Officer) CREED I am the backbone of the United States Marine Corps, I am a Marine Non-Commissioned Officer.
    I serve as part of the vital link between my commander (and all officers) and enlisted Marines.
    I will never forget who I am or what I represent.
    I will challenge myself to the limit and be ever attentive to duty.
    I am now, more than ever, committed to excellence in all that I do, so that I can set the proper example for other Marines.
    I will demand of myself all the energy, knowledge and skills I possess, so that I can instill confidence in those I teach.
    I will constantly strive to perfect my own skills and to become a good leader.
    Above all I will be truthful in all I say or do. My integrity shall be impeccable as my appearance.
    I will be honest with myself, with those under my charge and with my superiors.
    I pledge to do my best to incorporate all the leadership traits into my character.
    For such is the heritage I have received from that long, illustrious line of professionals who have worn the bloodstripe so proudly before me.
    I must give the very best I have for my Marines, my Corps and my Country for though today I instruct and supervise in peace, tomorrow,
    I may lead in war.
    Staff NCO (Non-Commissioned Officer) CreedI am a Staff Non-Commissioned Officer in the United States Marine Corps.
    As such, I am a member of the most unique group of professional military practitioners in the world.
    I am bound by duty to God, Country, and my fellow Marines to execute the demands of my position to and beyond what I believe to be the limits of my capabilities.
    I realize I am the mainstay of Marine Corps discipline, and I carry myself with military grace, unbowed by the weight of command, unflinching in the execution of lawful orders, and unswerving in my dedication to the most complete success of my assigned mission.
    Both my professional and personal demeanor shall be such that I may take pride if my juniors emulate me, and knowing perfection to lie beyond the grasp of any mortal hand, I shall yet strive to attain perfection that I may ever be aware of my needs and capabilities to improve myself.
    I shall be fair in my personal relations, just in the enforcement of discipline, true to myself and my fellow Marines and equitable in my dealings with every man.

yelp i remember it well (Don't Mess with an NCO) stay clear of them..

So when did the NCO Creed change? The one I learned is totally different than the one my Cpl learned.

I know this is an old thread, but I don't feel it is resolved. Many people think the shorter version is the official version. My Sgt and I had this discussion this morning. He said the "backbone" version is just one "some people made up". Is there something on paper to clear this up?

To be honest I had forgot about this thread. I would still like to see the official version if there is one.

I did a search on USMC.mil and found stories citing both versions as the official one. It has to be set in stone somewhere.

yeah it's the second one, it changes last september some time... I got it when I was in Hawaii on RCT orders.

The second one is the one that is being taught at Corporal's and Sergeant's course. It is also the one that is being handed out with the promotion warrants.

The second one being the "backbone" one? I've heard the other one is being taught at Cpl's course and I've heard it on warrants too. I can't close the book on this one yet, but thanks for your input.

hey erased... this is all true... it probably changed as you were gearing up to head out to Iraq... the book IS closed.... it IS the second one. I got it printed out right next to me here.

Do you have the creed printed out, or do you have a MarAdmin stating which is the official one? I'd just like to see something official on it before I move on.

I wouldn't be suprised if SgtMaj Kent had something to do with it. The article a few months ago called "Baby NCO's" really ****ed him off, and i think this was his way of backing up his NCO's. New Breed, New Creed. However, i did just get promoted on the 1st of April, and my promo warrant came with the old NCO Creed. Probably will take awhile before the transition is full and complete throughout the Marine Corps.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Congratulations on the promotion Erased.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Either or which Creed, people are depending on us. And we'd rather die than let them down. We are such a small Corps, every swinging @#$# has to make it count each and every time. An 03 Grunt Sgt or a Ordie WM Cpl. We take it seriously and perform 150%.

Thread Information