tattoo policy
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: tattoo policy

tattoo policy

Ok so now I am getting frusterated with the new tattoo policy. It really hasnt effected me. I just had to take pictures of em and that was that. I wasnt bothered by that but when I got refused recruiter duty at the screening that I was voulenteering for I got ****ed! So now my career is hurt because I got a full sleave before there was a policy in place???? I am ****ed!

I see you're a Winger and a fellow tattooed brother, .....oh and welcome aboard.
    Don't know what to say about the policy, they didn't really have one back when I was in.

I know how you feel. I got out recently but had to take pics of all my tats and i have both my forarms and one on each calf. Its stupid. They are screwing over awesome Marines because of this policy.

No gentlemen the Marine Corps never had a problem with tats until a few went completely over board having full sleeves of tats and tats on the back of the neck completely in full view of the general public. The old saying is one apple soured the rest of the barrel and the Marine Corps changed the policy. You must remember we as Marines are Professionals at what we do and a Marine should not look like a hoodlum with a bunch tats all over his body where everyone can see them..

We are professionals. We are warriors. Tattoos have been part of warrior culture since the beginning.

Aside from the argument of, "That was then, this is now," I know one thing is for damn sure. Chesty would've said, "Can he shoot well? Is he fit? Is he willing to sacrifice himself for his fellow Marines, his nation...freedom? Then he's good enough for me."

(I was kind've thinking of "It was good for Chesty Puller, so it's good enough for me haha sorry)

But seriously. This tattoo policy IS stopping alot of quality Marines from not just participating in B-billets -- but also picking up rank! Even tattoos that have been grandfathered in since they were on the body before the new tattoo order.

Furthermore, it's also going so far as to block recruiting goals!

I do understand not having tattoos on the neck, back of the hands, knuckles, etc, but none/few showing outside of PT gear? Ridiculous! I've got over 30 hours of tattoo work on my body and I've NEVER met anyone who thought less of me as a Marine or professional for it. Sure, some may think it, but f*ck it. Regardless of how my skin looks, I'll do my job just as well. However, there's no reason I should have to somehow magically peform better than my best to prove I'm just as much of a professional vs. some ****bag who isn't inked.

L/cpl Haffner as i said someone went completely over board with the tats or these policys would not have been ordered. I have a tat and i am dang proud of it but again someone went overboard and the CMC said it wont happen again. The CMC runs the show and if thats what he wants that is what he gets. And trust me L/cpl Haffner there are people out there that think we are a bunch of sick b**tards anyway. But when the sh*t hits the fan WHO THEY GONNA CALL...

Maybe I could add a question to this thread.

Are the Naval Hospitals offering Laser treatment? When I was in a Marine could sign up for removal. They had to sign a waiver stating they would not get more and such and the wait was several months. Are they still offering this?

Quote Originally Posted by hrscowboy
    No gentlemen the Marine Corps never had a problem with tats until a few went completely over board having full sleeves of tats and tats on the back of the neck completely in full view of the general public. The old saying is one apple soured the rest of the barrel and the Marine Corps changed the policy. You must remember we as Marines are Professionals at what we do and a Marine should not look like a hoodlum with a bunch tats all over his body where everyone can see them..
    I dont see how you can draw a parallel between a US Marine with sleeved tattoo's and a hoodlum with sleeved tattoo's. I think Skinheads have shaved or buzzed hair and it seems like lots of Marines have shaved or buzzed hair, does that make them Skinheads?

About the lasering process, the answer is yes you can still get it lasered off in the hospital....i'm sure about the waiver though.

Buttom line gentlemen is dont get the tats because if you do you wont be ONE OF THE FEW..

I don't always understand why Marines feel the need to take things to the extreme?

I think it sucks that they had to make a policy out of it, and true to form in the Corps,, guys that are supposedly grandfathered-in eventually get black-balled somehow. Sorry to hear you're getting screwed southernculture, but I think they had to make a point here, unfortunately, because some guys take it too far. When you signed the contract you basically gave up your right to your skin, your azz, and everything else the Corps wants. It's pretty simple here folks. I have plenty of tats like the rest of us but mine are all basically hidden unless I'm wearing my banana hammocks and a wife beata. My point, (if you can make one now) is you can get all your warrior culture art and still honor the fact that you are an active duty US Marine and you gave up those "rights" when your azz signed the bottom line.

Get all the sleeves you want when you get out,,, why does it have to take a policy to make Marines realize this? Nothing changes...

Tats are part of "Warrior culture",,, that's some funny shiat, those guys had nothing better to do then get all inked out,,, Marines can make a good argument out of anything,, nice try Haffner.

I guess now in the Corps if you want to be a career Marine and you feel like getting some warrior culture then you can get your whole body done except for the neck up, elbows down, and on the legs not below your PT shorts. That's warrior to me, way mad whoa...

re

I have had tats since before I got in. I like getting them and enjoy looking at them. The usmc should not have accepted me if they didnt want tattoos on me. I am a tattooed warrior. I continue to get more. Not where they have now banned. I actually have no sleeve tattoo because no 1 tattoo on my arm touches or takes up more than 1/4 of my arm. My arm is however 90 % covered by tats. I dont see how this interferes with being professional. I have been given 2 nams for my professionalism and esprit de corp. I am devoted to hard work and want to be more competetive THIS year on the ssgt board. I guess I can put that I tried and the usmc sayd F no! Whatever I just dont agree. I also thisnk it is SGTMAJ of USMC that had a vandetta against the tatt'd up Marnes. It just sucks. I wonder if this will effect a package to the mecep program?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You younguns are killing me! I'm with Hrs & Wookie - the Corps doesn't say NOT to get tattoos just don't get them in places that will make that awesome uniform look tacky.

It's a known fact that tattoos mean nothing to anybody but the body that they're on. I know a book shouldn't be judged by it's cover but, that's the way it is and it's something that has not and will not change. To me, sleeves and stuff on the neck WHILE IN UNIFORM is TACKY (I don't care how AWESOME the artwork may be) and isn't very professional according to the "professional" standards that have been set and taught by society/Marine Corps. I may love them when you're in your jeans but, not in a set of Charlies.

Bottom line is................does a little ole tattoo policy REALLY matter in the grand scheme of things? Is that ALL you have to be concerned about? If you don't like the policy and don't want tattoos to be a reason for your not making a billet - DON'T GET 'EM! When you get out tattoo everything from the crown of your head to the place on the bottom of your foot where you can have someone tattoo "place tag here" and wrap a circle around your big toe.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I got a tat at age 50, Purchased by my eldest daughter for my birthday, cause it's something I always wanted. An EGA on my upper arm. I will never have another,it is enough for me, cause it Means something.
    I think tats now adays mean almost nothing to most. Why get the friggin things? You wanna argue about restrictions? Maybe you need a few. A meaningless tat for a meaningless life. Go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marine84
    It's a known fact that tattoos mean nothing to anybody but the body that they're on
    They must mean something to the Corps, and if they don't mean anything to you then why does wearing them make one "takcy"?

I could have an opinion where hairy azzed monkey arms looky "tacky" in uniiform. I know hairy monkey arms are not against USMC policy but they should be. Or what if I think that people wearing those goober eye glasses make the uniform look "tacky"? Or ugly people....or short people.....jeez.

Leave the guys grandfathered in alone.

Thread Information