Prayers for L/Cpl Maria Lauterbach - Page 7
Create Post
Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Wink

I've never heard of the WBC before but looking at the news article, I wouldn't want to be associated with them at all. Its a pity they think they're Gods ambassadors; they're not. They're radical haters & they should be wiped from the face of the earth. They're the sort of people that incite others to hate just like them, they cause nothing but trouble. God does not hate "fags" nor does he hate Marines or the Corp. Where are these people coming from? God hates sin, not the people. He made a way for us "sinners" through His Son Jesus Christ. There is no love in the WBC other than for their own kind. This is not from God I'll tell you that.

I'm outraged by their stupidity in thinking they have a right to hate others because they don't live the way they do. They should stop pickiting and read more of the Holy Book and learn something about love.

Thats all I got to say...except, I love you Marines thank you for my freedom, thank you for keeping me safe and secure. You're the best!
    Except for that other guy...you know the one

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Body ID'd as Lauterbach's, cause of death established

January 15, 2008 - 9:45AM

Onslow County Medical Examiner Charles Garrett said today he has spoken with the state Medical Examiner's Office in Chapel Hill, and the body that was found Saturday in the backyard of the home of Cpl. Cesar Laurean and his wife, Christina Laurean, 103 Meadow Trail, in the Half Moon area, has been positively identified through dental records as that of Lance Cpl. Maria Lauterbach. The cause of death was blunt-force injury to the head, he said.

Come show your support for the troops!
    The Westboro Baptist church is planning a protest at Camp Lejeune. This is straight from their picketing schedule on their website:
    01/19/2008 11:00 AM - 12:00 PM Jacksonville, NC Camp Lejeune Lejeune Blvd & Hargett St.

That is the church that protests at military funerals. We are going to protest their church by showing our support for the troops.
    Tell your friends and neighbors that they are welcome to come join the ranks of the Gathering of Eagles and Eagles Up. Bring your flags or signs, but be there. You will not be in harms way, you will be surrounded by veterans, their families, and patriotic Americans from near and far

The Gathering of Eagles and Eagles Up groups are planning on being there on Sat to show their support. Many of them are members of the Patriot Guard.

Ellie

Credits
    Savings
    They think they found his truck in a parking lot in Morrisville, NC

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Laurean's vehicle found in Morrisville, near RDU airport

January 15, 2008 - 9:45AM

Onslow County Sheriff Ed Brown has confirmed that Morrisville police have found Marine Cpl. Cesar Armando Laurean’s vehicle in the parking lot of a Microtel hotel near Raleigh-Durham International Airport.

Morrisville Police Department Capt. D. Ng said he could not confirm that the truck belongs to Laurean, and he referred questions to Brown.

Video from www.wral.com’s Sky5 news helicopter shows that the license plate on the black Dodge pickup truck match those on the same type of truck that authorities say belongs to Laurean. The hotel is off Airport Boulevard near Interstate 40.

In other developments, Onslow County Medical Examiner Charles Garrett said today he has spoken with the state Medical Examiner's Office in Chapel Hill, and the body that was found Saturday in the backyard of the home of Cpl. Cesar Laurean and his wife, Christina Laurean, 103 Meadow Trail, in the Half Moon area, has been positively identified through dental records as that of Lance Cpl. Maria Lauterbach.

The cause of death was blunt-force injury to the head, he said.

All the details of the autopsy have not been made available to investigators as the report was still being compiled.

District Attorney Dewey Hudson said he was not sure whether Lauterbach gave birth before her death.

Garrett said he signed Lauterbach’s death certificate and listed the cause of death as homicide.

“The cause of her death will not change,” Garrett told The Daily News. “She did not fall down and hit her head or anything of the sort — she died at the hands of another.”

Meanwhile, investigators say they doubt the validity of a note Lauterbach has been reported as leaving for her roommates on the day she disappeared, telling them she was “going away” and apologized for “the inconvenience.”

Sgt. Daniel Durham, Lauterbach’s roommate, reported Lauterbach missing to the Marine Corps on Dec. 15, Onslow County Sheriff Ed Brown said.

When Lauterbach did not show up for work Dec. 17, Marine officials called her home and her cell phone and sent Marines to look for her at her house, said Lt. Col. Curtis Hill, spokesman for II Marine Expeditionary Force.

“At that time, there was no reason to believe anything other than she had voluntarily placed herself in Unauthorized Absence status,” Hill said.

Sheriff’s Department investigators say they have reason to believe the note was not genuine.

“We have sent that note off to handwriting experts to determine whether (Lauterbach) actually wrote it or not,” said Capt. Rick Sutherland of the Onslow County Sheriff’s Department.

Quote Originally Posted by thedrifter
    Come show your support for the troops!
    The Westboro Baptist church is planning a protest at Camp Lejeune. This is straight from their picketing schedule on their website:
    01/19/2008 11:00 AM - 12:00 PM Jacksonville, NC Camp Lejeune Lejeune Blvd & Hargett St.

That is the church that protests at military funerals. We are going to protest their church by showing our support for the troops.
    Tell your friends and neighbors that they are welcome to come join the ranks of the Gathering of Eagles and Eagles Up. Bring your flags or signs, but be there. You will not be in harms way, you will be surrounded by veterans, their families, and patriotic Americans from near and far

The Gathering of Eagles and Eagles Up groups are planning on being there on Sat to show their support. Many of them are members of the Patriot Guard.

Ellie
    I only wish I could be there to show my support. I will be praying for Maria, and thinking of all the Men and women who show up to protest this dispicable cult. And make no mistake, they are a cult. Semper fi to the Patriot Guard for all their sacrifices to make sure our fallen servicemen and women are shown the respect and honor they have earned.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Marines: Slain pregnant Marine didn’t feel threatened by suspect

January 15, 2008 - 6:02PM

(AP) — A 20-year-old pregnant Marine who disappeared in December told victims’ advocates at Camp Lejeune that she didn’t feel unsafe in the presence of the colleague now wanted in her death, Marine Corps officials said Tuesday.

Marine Cpl. Cesar Armando Laurean never violated the military protective order directing him to stay away from Lance Cpl. Maria Lauterbach, and he continued to report for work on time in the weeks after her disappearance, said Col. Gary Skolowski, the judge advocate general officer for the II Marine Expeditionary Force.

“At no time did she indicate that she was threatened by Cpl. Laurean,” Skolowski said. “When she was asked if she felt threatened by Cpl. Laurean, she said she did not feel threatened.”

Authorities confirmed Tuesday the remains found over weekend in a fire pit in Laurean’s backyard were those of Lauterbach and her child. Dr. Charles Garrett, the Onslow County medical examiner, said Lauterbach, who was eight months pregnant when she vanished, died from “traumatic head injury due to blunt force trauma.”

Mark(hubby) got word from a reliable source that the Homophobics from the Westboro Baptist Church have been denied a permit for this Saturday, 19 January but have one approved for the 26th. They will demonstrate at Hargette and Lejeune Blvd. There will be a whole four to six of them, trivial to say the least. Needless to say the base is ready with a contingency plan as well as JPD. There will be no BS taken from these idiots, they are not welcome here and they should know it.

Ellie

Anyone that would kill an unborn child is the lowest form of scum. He'll be real popular in the big house. Ah but wait, he's such a man, he'll probably shoot himself.

My take on the matter

As angry as I am about all of this chit, I hope that justice is served and served very fast. It is a very sad time right now; we have lost one of our own. I personally feel that this Marine has been done wrong from every one above her. I know there is a side to every story but something like this should have not been ignored and it seems that it was or played off. It is sad that it took her life being taken before it was taken serious. I just want the family to know that you daughter will not die in vain. At one point justice will be served. I send my deepest condolences to the family of a fallen Marine.
    Sgt Blue

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Marine Corps saw case as just UA

JENNIFER HLAD
    January 16, 2008 - 12:38AM
    DAILY NEWS STAFF
    Up until the time Onslow County Sheriff Ed Brown announced that Lance Cpl. Maria Lauterbach was dead, Marine Corps officials said they believed she had disappeared on her own accord.

"We all thought, all of us, that she had left on her own free will and that she was going to be found," said Lt. Col. Curtis Hill, spokesman for II Marine Expeditionary Force.

"At no point prior to Jan. 11 ... did we feel that Lance Cpl. Lauterbach was anything other than (on unauthorized absence)."

The Marine Corps held its first press conference Tuesday to address questions surrounding the disappearance and death of Lauterbach. Prior to the press conference, base officials had declined to address the circumstances surrounding the case until their review was complete.

The reason Marine officials did not speak out earlier about the timeline of events, Hill said, is that they wanted to be sure the information they were giving was correct.

Marine Corps officials presented Tuesday a timeline of events, beginning with the dates Lauterbach and the Marine facing charges in her death enlisted and ending with the day Brown announced that Lauterbach was dead.

They emphasized that much of the information that may have indicated Lauterbach had not disappeared on her own was not presented to the command until Jan. 9, two days before her death was announced.

At the time of her death, Lauterbach was eight months pregnant.

Lauterbach learned she was pregnant in June, Hill said. The estimated conception date was May 14, and Lauterbach said the pregnancy was the result of a rape by Cpl. Cesar Armando Laurean.

In May, Lauterbach reported two sexual encounters with Laurean as rape - one March 26 and another a few weeks later, Hill said. The day after Lauterbach reported the incidents, commanders gave Laurean a verbal order to have no verbal contact with Lauterbach and stay at least 1,000 feet away from her at all times, Hill said. Lauterbach also was moved to a new office across base from Laurean, a move Hill said was unusual but made sense in this case because it allowed her to be closer to her uniform victim advocate.

The verbal order for Laurean to avoid all contact with Lauterbach was followed up with a series of military protective orders - the equivalent of a restraining order - that lapsed only from Dec. 24 to Jan. 7 because of an administrative error, Hill said.

Even after Lauterbach in May accused Laurean of rape, she said she did not feel threatened by him in any way, said Col. Robert Sokoloski, staff judge advocate for II MEF.

There were two times when Lauterbach did report being the victim of an attack on base between when she reported the sexual assaults and when she disappeared, said Paul Ciccarelli, special agent in charge aboard the base for Naval Criminal Investigative Service.

The first was when her car was keyed in the parking lot of a barracks in May, he said. The second time, she said a man hit her in the face but specifically said the man was not Laurean.

Hill emphasized the protection orders were not based on any perceived threat, but rather a desire to preserve the integrity of the rape case.

In early November, she "readjusted" her statement to say "she no longer believed the pregnancy was a result of the two incidents she reported as sexual assaults," Ciccarelli said.

A month later, Lauterbach was reported missing. Her roommate saw her car at their shared house on the morning of Dec. 14. When he returned home later that day, he found a note saying "I could not take this Marine Corps life anymore. I'm going away. Sorry for the inconvenience," Hill said. Some of Lauterbach's personal hygiene items and clothing were gone, as well as her car, he said.

That same day, Lauterbach withdrew $700 from her bank account and, the next day, she bought a one-way bus ticket to El Paso, Texas, Hill said. The bus ticket was never used.

Lauterbach's roommate took the note he assumed was written by Lauterbach to her commanders, Hill said.

Lauterbach's unit tried calling her and sent Marines to her house, Hill said. Then, they took the unusual step of asking to have Lauterbach listed as a deserter - a step not normally taken until a service member is gone for 31 days - to better help them find her out of concern for her pregnancy, he said.

"This was an extraordinary step taken in hope of having her returned so the command could ensure she was receiving the proper medical care," he said. "Basically, with a (deserter status), federal resources could be used to assist in locating her."

Lauterbach's mother filed a missing person report in Ohio on Dec. 18, Hill said. Ohio authorities alerted the Onslow County Sheriff's Department, which notified NCIS.

Jan. 7 was the first day Lauterbach's unit had any indication that "foul play may be suspected," Hill said. Laurean met with sheriff's deputies Jan. 8 as a possible witness in Lauterbach's disappearance, Hill said. But that meeting lasted only a few minutes, as Laurean told investigators he wanted to talk to an attorney, Ciccarelli said.

Because of the ongoing rape investigation, Laurean's desire to talk to a lawyer did not seem strange, Ciccarelli said.

Laurean met with lawyers all day Thursday, but kept in touch with a unit representative throughout the day. He told the officer in charge that he might have an appointment the morning of Friday and was told to either report to work on time or call by 7:30 a.m.

Laurean did not report to work or call that morning, and a unit representative tried calling him several times but did not get a response. He was listed as UA, then later that day named as a "person of interest" in Lauterbach's death.

Officials believe he left Jacksonville early Friday morning.

Though the communication between the Marine Corps, NCIS investigators and the Sheriff's Department have been questioned by members of the media, Hill said he thinks the Corps has an "outstanding" relationship with the Sheriff's Department.

Contact military reporter Jennifer Hlad at jhlad@freedomenc.com or 353-1171, ext. 8467. To comment on this story, visit www.jdnews.com.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Received in email........
    To All:
    “CHECK FIRING” is a military term in the artillery for “cease fire”……collect your thoughts, check all firing data, and wait for further word…….

After more checking by our people on the Westboro Baptist Church coming to town, we have found that they did in fact apply for a permit, but their 10 day waiver was denied. (The permit had to have a waiver because it was not done in time). The waiver was done and then denied legally so the city could not be sued over their 1st Amendment rights of “Freedom of Speech”. If you read their web site, you will see that they get their money from law suits from suing when their “rights” are denied in an illegal manner. After they were denied, no other word from the WBC has been heard.

The Jacksonville PD is fully aware of the word spreading for this weekend. Since there was no approval for this action, there will be no approval for any kind of “gatherings”. No other permits will be issued. The permit request they submitted was for Hargett Street and Hwy 24 across from the Veterans Cemetery.

We as Rolling Thunder, Inc. in Jacksonville have decided NOT to take up action and stand in defense this Saturday as Rolling Thunder, Inc. of NC. I believe the MOPH is also following our lead on this decision.

I have twice telephonically talked with the ISS (Installation Security and Safety) people to include the Asst Director, and Colonel Anderson and they have respectfully asked that we do not “counter protest”.

There is a two fold reason for their decision…….

1. They will not have permits. With no permits, they have no legal right to protest on or near the base. They will not be permitted to enter or be on government property should they decide to show up. If they do, they will be trespassing and will be detained by PMO and held for the City Police. Almost all of Hwy 24 leading to Lejeune on the south side belongs to the base. As you approach the base gates, all that land belongs to the base. Without permission of the base command, that is restricted FEDERAL PROPERTY. With no access to the base, they will only have a small strip of “median” in the road, and that is where the Jacksonville PD will come into play. Any hindrances whatsoever by anyone to impede the flow of traffic can be arrested and processed. In other words……..no standing in the median!!!! No permit…..no legal rights!

2. Col Anderson has asked that this thing be “played down” as the media has already made a huge deal over the Lauterbach incident. If it turns into a “media circus”, this will only bring more light to Kansas Church, and that is what these fanatics want. If they are downplayed, and no one cares, they will dry up and go away. They have specifically asked Rolling Thunder not to be there. They respect us, and what we do, and because of that and after careful thought and cooling down from being called “Marine Corps Fags”, I feel the decisions of the base officials should be respected and we should honor and trust that the base will handle these people.

We have worked hard to gain the respect and confidence of the Marine Corps Base and the officials of the local community. I agree with the Chapter members last night when they said, “Let’s not jeopardize what we have for some stupid people who have no influence whatsoever in what our mission statement is; and let’s do what we are suppose to do for Rolling Thunder®, Inc. and the POW/MIA’s. You can’t fix stupid!!!”

We will respect the wishes of Colonel Anderson and his ISS office, and the Jacksonville Police Department and trust them to handle the situation as they have said.

If things CHANGE (and they could), I will put out an immediate email with updated info…….

Thanks…….hope everyone understands……

Hank Hangsleben
    Rolling Thunder®, Inc.
    NC State Director

Military rape vs Civilian rape 10 points

Greetings, my Brothers & Sisters ~ I have been working day and night along with my (very sick with PTSD) group to inform the public through major and minor media publishers and televison celebrity reports & hosts. We have developed some materials and I am asking for your feedback on the 10 points I am posting below. If you see any errors, or want to edit, alter, add to it in any way, please help us out?
    We are called vetwow.com or veteran women organizing women. We have male members. All of us were raped during active duty. We advocate for our members in obtaining VA health care, assistance maneuvering the maze of Veteran's Compensation benefits, and we emotionally support one another in our daily lives in coping with PTSD. We are non-profit, still in the process of putting our board together.
    Thanks for any help or possibly passing this along to other media.
    Azform, USMC 1965 - 1966

It is important to make MST a separate issue from rape in general. It’s easy to get lost in the sea of civilian issues out there. Most civilians do not understand our contract with the military or how any of it works while active duty or as a vet or retiree.

So there are some very specific issues to our military service that need to be addressed on their own terms, and outside the usual civilian discussions of rape awareness.

MST Specific issues that differentiate us from some cases:

1. Isolated population. Most military members are deployed frequently in addition to frequent transfers, so that we are often completely isolated from our usual emotional support systems of families and long time civilian friends/mentors. That means when initial reporting takes place, we are often left to do this completely alone whether we want to or not.

2. We are contractually obligated to remain at our post or wherever we are lawfully assigned until separated for whatever reason. Unlike civilian rape victims we cannot just quit our job, change our name and leave town unless of course as a military person, we wish to be written up for desertion and then court martialed, receive Big Chicken Dinner, and then remain not hirable for the rest of our adult lives.

3. Because of the nature of the military mission, we are forced to trust people based on the uniform & rank, rather than on instinct or desire. In this, rapists in uniform have unlimited access to potential victims. Conditioned from boot camp to believe that THE uniform conveys a certain amount of innate reliability and trust, fellow service members adhere to a minimum standard of decency as per the UCMJ and other branch regulations and policies. So when an assault or harassment occurs, there is a breach of trust that could maybe be compared to a rape or violation by a police officer in uniform, or doctor, or some other person who holds a position of public authority and public trust.

4. MST victims are forced to adhere to regulation reporting procedures that may/often do counter indicate privacy in this matter, feelings, perceptions and the actuality of personal physical safety, and professional anonymity. We can tell by the Lauterbach case alone that new regulations regarding victim protection are meaningless and ineffective.

5. MST victims face retaliation threats not only by their attacker/harasser, but also by fellow service people who take the perpetrator side in this matter. Since survivors can’t quit, leave town, change their name, or remain anonymous, this is an added threat to physical safety and professional security, in that harassment and discrimination can be added to the list of wrongs against that survivor, often after the fact.

6. The VA and the Military have unlimited resources to present a facade to the public that the above statements are not true. Undermining many attempts by survivors during a case or after the fact, in finding meaningful support in the civilian community. We simply as individuals cannot compete against multimillion dollar add campaigns that present our services as a giant Boy Scout Jamboree with guns.

7. The VA & DOD have unlimited Resources with which to persuade, or frustrate attempts by survivors to (a) document their case, (b) file charges against perpetrator, (c) receive adequate, comprehensive, professional treatment, (d) file and receive compensation for injuries caused by the Rape, harassment, maltreatment, neglect, and defamation of the survivor.

8. The VA & DOD knowingly use the stigma of rape, harassment, gender related political controversy, sexual double standards, and controversies surrounding actual or perceived sexual orientation, as a baffle to prevent or discourage victims from coming forward, filing charges, receiving treatment, and compensation.

9. The VA & DOD knowingly use and misuse the stigma of mental illness to prevent or discourage victims from coming forward, filing charges, receiving treatment and compensation.

10. The VA & DOD knowingly permit and inculcate a culture of hatred for MST victims by not correcting common unofficial practices, beliefs, and sexual paradigms within the ranks, insuring that once you have become a Known MST survivor, one way or another you will become another kind of target entirely.

Thread Information