Prayers for L/Cpl Maria Lauterbach
Create Post
Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast
    yellowwing
    Guest Free Member

Prayers for L/Cpl Maria Lauterbach

Lance Cpl. Maria Lauterbach has been missing since December 14th. I pray that she and her unborn child are safe and will soon be returned to her family and to Our Beloved Corps' family.

Ditto that Wing. I would say though it is not looking good for her being found. I am keeping her in my prayers!!!!

SEMPER FI,

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Details emerge in missing Marine case

January 10, 2008 - 4:24PM
    THE DAILY NEWS
    New details are surfacing in the case of a missing 20-year-old Camp Lejeune Marine who was due to give birth in mid-February.

In a pending case at Camp Lejeune, the missing woman — Lance Cpl. Maria Frances Lauterbach — had alleged she was assaulted by a superior officer, according to an Onslow County Sheriff’s Department investigative report dated Jan. 2. The report was attached to a search warrant The Daily News obtained today.

The report said that Lauterbach’s stepmother, Mary Lauterbach of Ohio, reported on Dec. 19, through her local police department in Ohio, that Maria Lauterbach was missing, and the last time she had spoken with her was on Dec. 14.

Mary Lauterbach told an investigator that her stepdaughter had received some threats as to her career in the military from the person accused of assaulting her, according to the Sheriff’s Department report.

Mary Lauterbach also said her stepdaughter had a history of compulsive lying, and that she had advised Maria Lauterbach to give up her baby when it is born, according to the report.
    In the report, detective John Michael Moore wrote that Maria Lauterbach was facing a possible discharge from the Marine Corps.

Marine Sgt. Daniel Durham, who has the same address as Lauterbach’s and has been described as a roommate, told the detective he had made his home available to Lauterbach “a short period of time” before her out of sympathy, the report said. Durham said she had been, for the most part, bedridden by the pregnancy and gave no indications of planning to leave before Dec. 14, but she had been upset by a phone call from her stepmother, according to the report.

The Sheriff’s Department has characterized the residence as a boarding house Lauterbach shared with several people.

Durham has been interviewed at least once, on Dec. 20, by the Sheriff’s Department and said he reported Lauterbach’s absence “to his command” on base, which Moore confirmed. The report did not say when Durham did that, but it did say no official missing person report was filed by the base.

The Sheriff’s Department has requested that the Marine Corps return Durham to Camp Lejeune from California, where he went in late December on assignment, for questioning in relation to the disappearance. Sheriff Ed Brown said at a press conference today that Durham should be on his way back soon.

Magistrate Harold Hall’s Jan. 7 authorization of a search warrant of Maria Lauterbach’s residence on Idlebrook Circle stated that a white male attempted to cover an automatic teller machine camera with a rag when he used Maria Lauterbach’s bank card to withdraw money on Dec. 24. It also noted that she did not go to a prenatal care appointment Dec. 26.
    In his probable cause finding, the magistrate listed factors that indicated that her absence “might not be the result of decisions she made willingly.”

He wrote that a woman due to give birth soon would not normally abandon her source of low-cost medical care and enter a military status of unauthorized absence; she would be reluctant to abandon her cellular phone on the side of the road (where it was found Dec. 20 near Camp Lejeune’s main gate), but someone who might not want it traced might do such a thing; and she would not abandon her family’s support, since it was her routine to talk with them at least every other day.

Naval Criminal Investigative Service and the N.C. State Bureau of Investigation are assisting with the case, and 1st Lt. Richard Ulsh, a public affairs officer with the 2nd Marine Logistics Group, with which Lauterbach and Durham serve, has said the Marine Corps is cooperating with the investigation.

Investigators found her blue 2006 Hyundai Sonata at the Jacksonville Bus Station on Monday night. It was not there over the weekend, authorities said.

Crime scene investigators with the Sheriff’s Department and the State Bureau of Investigation went over Lauterbach’s car Wednesday looking for evidence but would not comment on any findings.

Lauterbach is described as 5 feet, 4 inches tall and weighing 140 pounds. She has blond hair, blue eyes, a Marine Corps tattoo on the upper right arm and a birthmark in the middle of her back.

Anyone who comes in contact with Lauterbach is asked to contact their local law enforcement agency.

For the Onslow County Sheriff’s Department, call 910-455-3113; NCIS, 910-451-8071; SBI, 910-346-2121; Jacksonville police, 910-455-4000.

People with information also can contact Crime Stoppers at 938-3273. Those callers do not have to reveal their identities.

I've been following this closely since it broke some time ago. Lcpl. Lauterbach and her baby are in my family's prayers for both safe return home to her family. I really do hope this turns out ok. I'd really like to get hold of her male roommate that is now a person of interest in the case!

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    They are bringing the SGT back from a training op within 1-2 days for more questioning. I will post as updated here locally.

Thanks brother! I look forward to that!

Prayers on the way from Utah.

Credits
    Savings
    I sincerely hope everythings comes out fine, but it isn't looking promising. Prayers are outbound.

Her mother came out and told reporters "My daughter is a compulsive liar" and as more details flow in, it's more and more looking like one big hoax and she simply went UA. If true, I hope they fry her when she is found. You don't disgrace my Corps like that, especially when it's all over the news for civvies to see.

However, if what her mother claims is not true, then my prayers are out to her and I hope she comes back fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Accord
    Her mother came out and told reporters "My daughter is a compulsive liar" and as more details flow in, it's more and more looking like one big hoax and she simply went UA. If true, I hope they fry her when she is found. You don't disgrace my Corps like that, especially when it's all over the news for civvies to see.

However, if what her mother claims is not true, then my prayers are out to her and I hope she comes back fine.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ARE YOU KIDDING ME WITH THIS??? This is a woman that is pregnant and missing. Her life is clearly in danger as well as the welfare of her unborn child. What on God's green earth would make you think that this is a hoax?? I am completely floored at the comments.

This woman.... this Marine... she and her baby are in mine and my family's prayers also. Keep the faith~

Semper Fi~
    Duff

We'll See

Of course, I hope she is safe, but for her sake, let's hope she's not UA. This is all over CNN, and it is not painting a good picture of her character. They are making it seem more like a UA case more than anything right now.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    What ever the case a pregnant Marine is missing. Ask Divine Providence that all will end well.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowwing
    What ever the case a pregnant Marine is missing. Ask Divine Providence that all will end well.
    You have it right, yellowwing.

I think with all the crazies in the news in recent times it easy to get cynical. Whatever the case is with this Lance Cpl, safe returns are in my thoughts and hopes...for both mother and child.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    My Fellow Marines and all others....lets not assume anything! The only thing we need to do is pray that the Marine, and her unborn child are fine. This thread is a call for support and prayers, not our Marine Corps GUNG HO opinions! Lets pray for her return, then we can sort it out!

Just my 2 cents!

Semper Fi

Dave

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Missing Marine's bus ticket never used

BY LINDELL KAY AND MELINDA OVERSTREET
    January 10, 2008 - 4:24PM
    DAILY NEWS STAFF
    A bus ticket out of Jacksonville was purchased by a missing pregnant Camp Lejeune Marine but never used, the Onslow County Sheriff’s Department confirmed Thursday.

Lance Cpl. Maria Frances Lauterbach, 20, purchased the ticket to Texas on Dec. 15, Sheriff Ed Brown said.

The Sheriff’s Department has also backed off a statement that the blue 2006 Hyundai Sonata was abandoned near the Jacksonville bus station just this week. Sheriff Ed Brown said two witnesses have told detectives two stories — one told investigators the car was left there this week, and the other said the car has been parked there longer.

Lauterbach has been missing since Dec. 14. She is with the 2nd Marine Logistics Group. Lauterbach was pregnant when she went missing.

Brown announced Thursday afternoon at a press conference that the Sheriff’s Department has requested the Marine Corps return Sgt. Daniel Durham, also with the 2nd MLG, to Camp Lejeune from California, where he went in late December on assignment, for questioning in relation to the disappearance.

“Durham should be in the air on the way here now,” Brown said.

The sheriff added later in the day that he hoped to interview Durham by noon today.

Lauterbach and Durham shared a house on Idlebrook Circle in Midway Park. Neighbors told The Daily News they remember seeing Lauterbach frequently in November, but after the middle of December she had not been seen at the house.

According to an Onslow County Sheriff’s Department investigative report dated Jan. 2, Lauterbach had alleged to military officials that she had been assaulted by a superior officer. The report was attached to a search warrant The Daily News obtained Thursday.
    Brown made a point to say the accused superior officer was not Durham, adding that he wanted to speak with the superior officer as well.

Brown would not comment further on the Camp Lejeune incident. Base officials declined to verify any information contained in the report.

Lauterbach’s stepmother, Mary Lauterbach of Ohio, reported on Dec. 19, through her local police department, that Maria Lauterbach was missing, and the last time she had spoken with her was on Dec. 14, according to the report.

Mary Lauterbach told an investigator that her stepdaughter had received some threats as to her career in the military from the person accused of assaulting her, according to the Sheriff’s Department report.

According to the report, Mary Lauterbach said her stepdaughter had bipolar disorder, which used to be known as manic depressive disorder and is characterized by extreme changes in mood. Mary Lauterbach also said her daughter had a history of compulsive lying, and that she had advised her to give up her baby when it is born, according to the report.

In the report, detective John Michael Moore wrote that Maria Lauterbach was facing a possible discharge from the Marine Corps.

Durham, who has the same address as Lauterbach and has been described as a roommate, told the detective he had made his home available to Lauterbach “a short period of time” before her disappearance out of sympathy, the report said. Durham said she had been, for the most part, bedridden by the pregnancy and gave no indications of planning to leave before Dec. 14, but she had been upset by a phone call from her stepmother, according to the report.

Durham has been interviewed at least once, on Dec. 20, by the Sheriff’s Department and said he reported Lauterbach’s absence “to his command” on base, which Moore confirmed. The report did not say when Durham did that, but it did say no official missing person report was filed by the base as a result of the conversation.

Magistrate Harold Hall’s Jan. 7 authorization of a search warrant of Maria Lauterbach’s residence stated that a white male attempted to cover an automatic teller machine camera with a rag when he used Maria Lauterbach’s bank card to withdraw money on Dec. 24. It also noted that she did not go to a prenatal care appointment Dec. 26.

In his probable cause finding, the magistrate listed factors that indicated Lauterbach’s absence “might not be the result of decisions she made willingly.”

He wrote that a woman due to give birth soon would not normally abandon her source of low-cost medical care and enter a military status of unauthorized absence; she would be reluctant to abandon her cellular phone on the side of the road (where it was found Dec. 20 near Camp Lejeune’s main gate), but someone who might not want it traced might do such a thing; and she would not abandon her family’s support, since it was her routine to talk with them at least every other day.

Naval Criminal Investigative Service and the N.C. State Bureau of Investigation are assisting with the case, and 1st Lt. Richard Ulsh, a public affairs officer with the 2nd MLG has said the Marine Corps is cooperating with the investigation.

Lauterbach is described as 5 feet, 4 inches tall and weighing 140 pounds. She has blond hair, blue eyes, a Marine Corps tattoo on the upper right arm and a birthmark in the middle of her back.

Anyone who comes in contact with Lauterbach is asked to contact their local law enforcement agency.

For the Onslow County Sheriff’s Department, call (910) 455-3113; NCIS, (910) 451-8071; SBI, (910) 346-2121; or Jacksonville police, (910) 455-4000.

People with information also can contact Crime Stoppers at 938-3273. Callers do not have to reveal their identities.

Thread Information