Can you get LcCpl? - Page 4
Create Post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Just to let you guy's know, that my contract states that I will be a Lcpl as soon as I get out of boot camp. The reason for this is because I have 98 hrs of college credit and I am also an Eagle Scout. So apparently it is possible to receive the rank of Lcpl right out of boot camp. I just wanted to throw that in there and let ya'll know. Hope that helps out any on your discussion.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    This thread is much ado about nothing guys! It is ppossible to make L/Cpl out of boot....Cpl Covey_Rider did it, and he just turned 19 the other day! It can be done and has been done on many occasions, so lets drop this crap and move on to something more important! Whats say?

You don't deserve Lance Corpral out of boot camp unless you talk about drill in your sleep and walk across the grinder after being dismissed with a strong urge to smash someone in the face with an e-tool baby.....

jhreeve, that has to be a really new policy. And honestly, it is total crap- you should have to earn that rank not be given it because you're "special".

We had people with college degrees, NCOs and Petty Officers from other branches, etc. and they all went in as PFCs. Being an eagle scout with some college hours? Nothing noteworthy above that to make me believe you're any better than someone with a proven combat history in the Army.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Exclamation Looking for just the title or the responsibility that goes with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jhreeve
    Just to let you guy's know, that my contract states that I will be a Lcpl as soon as I get out of boot camp. The reason for this is because I have 98 hrs of college credit and I am also an Eagle Scout. So apparently it is possible to receive the rank of Lcpl right out of boot camp. I just wanted to throw that in there and let ya'll know. Hope that helps out any on your discussion.
    Firstly, if you have 98 college credits, why do you spell "guys" as "guy's"? (FIST is graciously exempt from this grammar requirement.) It's spelled G-U-Y-S - with NO apostrophe. It's a simple plural (just add "s" to the end of the word.)

The current standard abbreviation for the rank of Lance Corporal is LCpl or LCPL, not "Lcpl". I don't know what "Lcpl" is.

I'm not sure how your recruiter got you contract LCPL - that REALLY must be a new policy decision (and maybe based on current urgent recruiting and retention needs.) I myself already had my B.A. and A.A. and enough credits just short of a second B.A. I even asked about being contract LCpl - no dice. Guess what I got in 2001? Yup: contact PFC. Guess what my edumacated dainty ass was doing? Yup: scrubbing toilets with a broken toilet brush. "Swab the head, aye, sir! Good morning, sir!" I didn't feel any higher-n-mightier than my fellow recruits or my drill instructors. Hell, they were the smart ones for not owing thousands on a school that sucked.

Don't focus on gunning for rank. Your maturity, integrity, and proficiency in your MOS will get you the rank you are striving for. Remember: with rank comes privilege, but with it comes RESPONSIBILITY. Every promotion comes with a greater degree of responsibilty and leadership - the responsibility to lead your junior Marines into battle and to accomplish the mission...and only then, to bring them back alive. Gaining rank is NOT gaining a "title" - it is gaining the responsibility of a Marine for and to his fellow Marines. Rank is not a title or some sort of award to impress the ladies with, and it is also NOT something to lord over on people. Gaining rank is the Marine Corps' way of saying, "We trust you to lead your Marines." Higher rank is not like earning another merit badge. You get a sash with a merit badge - you have the lives of a greater number of Marines in your hands when you get promoted. Remember that.

If I had gotten platoon honor recruit, I would have walked out of boot as a LCpl. The nice 20-year old kid with 30 college credits got it. Wasn't the best PT recruit (that was me, btw, the 33-year old old man recruit, and got company high PFT with a 300.) Wasn't the best shot. Whatever. He deserved it. I didn't expect to come out with a meritorious promotion to LCpl (but I did strive for the company high PFT, which I DID get, and it came with a nice Xeroxed certificate that HQMC and everybody else has now forgotten about.) I even saw a mouthy ****bird in MCT get meritorious LCpl just because Daddy was a Gunny somewhere. I just tried to do my business and didn't kiss ass and did my MCIs and helped old ladies across the street and all that trash, and that was it.

I got LCpl in six months for time-in-grade and sat there for almost four years.

Did I want to get promoted? Hell yes! It got old being the "senior Lance Corporal". Making Cpl, then Sgt, in such a short period of time was a complete surprise to me - just like making a perfect shot on the range. I stopped worrying about getting promoted and just did what I had to do as a Marine.

Your task, however, is to make it through boot camp and make yourself into a Marine. That can only happen when you put yourself into the hands of your drill instructors and put aside your selfish and petty interests (this is not a criticism - EVERY personal interest or drama is selfish and petty when compared to recruit training - after all, it'll save your life and your fellow Marines one day.) Strive to become a Marine during recruit training, not the rank a Marine earns.

Sgt gw

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Further guidance

Just to let you guy's know, that my contract states that I will be a Lcpl as soon as I get out of boot camp.

There is no need for a complementizer ("that") after "Just to let you guys know,...". Just say: "Just to let you guys know, my contract states that I will be a LCpl as soon as I get out of boot camp."

As soon as you graduate from boot camp, I would suggest you sign up for MCIs and start with Personal Finance and English Grammar, plus another MOS-specific one. With every promotion comes the requirement to express yourself precisely, efficiently, and grammatically, both in writing and in speech. Grammar such as yours resembling that texting crap that kids nowadays write in will keep you from being promoted...aside from being a ****bird, that is.

Sgt gw

but the cool thing is that you get NO respect. when you hit the FMF and they find out you got your rank with NO experience and time in service, they will as soon as you open your mouth.

respected marines get there rank by experience and time in. picking up rank because you were in the boyscouts is damn funny. this isn't the boy scouts kid. If your going to a line company you will wake up and realize your rank doesn't mean **** to an experienced private. my point is just because you have rank doesn't mean you know jack ****.

Gonna take more than just his post and his word for me to believe he got contract LCpl. Till I see proof, I say no ****ing way!

Quote Originally Posted by BR03Hopeful
    Gonna take more than just his post and his word for me to believe he got contract LCpl. Till I see proof, I say no ****ing way!
    there was a guy in my gratuating class that got LCpl in '87. class of 1018. the DI's even disrespected him for it. nobody likes rank given away like that in the Corps. don't know why they do it!

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Sgt GW hit it right on the head. Rank doesn't mean jack in the Marines, Navy, or any other branch without the experience to back it up. Marine Corps Recruit Training is just that: TRAINING. Last time I checked, rank didn't help anyone to survive when bullets were whizzing by and mortars exploded around them; it was their training.

Scan your contract and post imo.

Thread Information