OCC Candidate looking for MOS advice
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

OCC Candidate looking for MOS advice

I have a specific MOS that I would absolutely love to do. However, I know that I don't get to pick exactly what I want. I just get to fill out "the wishlist" and hope that they decide to put me in the spot where I want to be.

Anyone know more about the process? My OSO said that there was a method to the madness but he couldn't really describe it.

You get your MOS at TBS. And thats correct, you don't automatically get whichever MOS you want, I believe you pick top 3 and they assign your MOS based on how many slots are open and your performance against other officers. (If I recall correctly theres a sort of complex system involved with that, which may be what your OSO is referring to.) But from what people who have been through TBS have told me, there are some jobs that you shouldn't worry about getting provided you aren't a complete idiot, such as infantry.

Thanks! Basically I'm looking at the PAO slot. The odds listed for the spot are 1 per TBS class...but I had some friends that went through TBS recently and said that there were more than thant available. I'm female, so my MOS's seem to be "limited" as a ground contract....

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    If I'm understanding your question correctly I'm pretty sure this should break it down a bit better, I went to Quantico last year as part of an NYLF-DID program I did. We got to walk around, go through the night vision course, and learn some very basic MCMAP, and we were the only ones that got to break the "professional attire" rule all week, it was heaven in jeans and a hoodie with some comfortable shoes after being in heels all week with the dress pants or skirts. I actually got to talk to a bunch of female enlisted and officers and it was really an interesting time

Everyone in the class is ranked and the ranking is broken up into three sections; upper third, middle, and lower third (not sure if that's what they're called but it's the easiest way to describe it). Then the first person in the upper third gets their choice, then the first person in the middle third gets theirs, then the first person in the lower third gets theres. Then it starts all over with the second person in the first third, then the second person in the middle third, then the second person in the bottom third. This keeps repeating until everyone has their assignments. Basically it is just to keep all the "good" officer candidates from going into one MOS.

I hope that helped some, I THINK that's what you were asking about if not feel free to call me a dumbass and send me on my way

Quote Originally Posted by AMW
    If I'm understanding your question correctly I'm pretty sure this should break it down a bit better, I went to Quantico last year as part of an NYLF-DID program I did. We got to walk around, go through the night vision course, and learn some very basic MCMAP, and we were the only ones that got to break the "professional attire" rule all week, it was heaven in jeans and a hoodie with some comfortable shoes after being in heels all week with the dress pants or skirts. I actually got to talk to a bunch of female enlisted and officers and it was really an interesting time

Everyone in the class is ranked and the ranking is broken up into three sections; upper third, middle, and lower third (not sure if that's what they're called but it's the easiest way to describe it). Then the first person in the upper third gets their choice, then the first person in the middle third gets theirs, then the first person in the lower third gets theres. Then it starts all over with the second person in the first third, then the second person in the middle third, then the second person in the bottom third. This keeps repeating until everyone has their assignments. Basically it is just to keep all the "good" officer candidates from going into one MOS.

I hope that helped some, I THINK that's what you were asking about if not feel free to call me a dumbass and send me on my way
    I believe that's right. From what I understand, you're MOS is selected for you based off the needs of the Corps, you're skills and performance at TBS (ie. what third you rank in), and your "wish list". My OSO told me 90% of Lt's get one of their top 5 MOS picks. If you're looking for a specific MOS--especially one that's already pretty tough to get--I wouldn't bank on it. I'm not completely sure on how it works though (I'm a ground contract, but haven't thought that far in advance ) A good site you might want to check out regarding the Officer side of the house is www.Marineocs.com . There's guys there that are in TBS now or have recently gone though it....I"m sure they have more accurate answers. Good luck.

Credits
    Savings
    TXOCAN, as a female, you are not limited to just a ground contract. You can also get an air or law, providing you are qualified. For each MOS, there is a certain number of slots open to each third. Say there is 30 infantry slots available, there could be 9 open to the top third, 11 for the middle, and 10 for the bottom. Check out The Basic School's website and the MY MOS selection. It is more indept along with the breakdown of MOSs of a recently graduated class.

Alice, I'm a bit busy at the moment, but give me a day or two and I'll PM you some details.

there are some jobs that you shouldn't worry about getting provided you aren't a complete idiot, such as infantry

Maybe someone could clarify this. I am under the impression that these jobs were highly sought after and competitive. 03

TXOCAN, as a female, you are not limited to just a ground contract. You can also get an air or law, providing you are qualified.

I can't do flight...failed the flight test...by one point to qualify for an NFO slot....(insert explatives here). Sucks considering that a majority of my military friends are flight students or instructors. I've actually thought about attending law school, but I'm honestly not sure that I want to work for the JAG corp. I sure as hell never want to be a trial attorney. (This from the girl who works for lawyers right now....) I've read the MOS descriptions online...and I've got a few in mind.

I'm not banking on getting any one MOS in particular...but everyone's got a favorite and I know what my number one choice would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Isrowei
    Alice, I'm a bit busy at the moment, but give me a day or two and I'll PM you some details.
    I'd appreciate that. Thanks so much!

TXOCAN,

Why don't you retake the ASTB so that you can qualify for SNFO or SNA?? Also, one point waivers are available for the ASTB, but according to my OSO I believe that you must have taken it atleast three times to submit the 1 point waiver.

Candidate LeStrange

Credits
    Savings
    Yeah from what I was told Infantry is the most sought after MOS. I can see why, if I was a male I would wanna be out there too. I would reccomend talking to a current female Officer, ask her about her experiences and everything you can absorb. That's where I came in very lucky when I went to Quantico, I was the only female of the group going so I got a lot more 1 on 1 (more like 4 or 5 on 1) time with the females and it was really motivating and eye opening.

Quote Originally Posted by MotivatorJames
    TXOCAN,

Why don't you retake the ASTB so that you can qualify for SNFO or SNA?? Also, one point waivers are available for the ASTB, but according to my OSO I believe that you must have taken it atleast three times to submit the 1 point waiver.

Candidate LeStrange
    I actually did take it three times and was only trying to score for SNFO. According to the gouge I've gathered, and the words of my OSO, the one point waiver is only available to those who fail by one point in the same category of scoring twice.

Example: If my FOFAR score was a 4 twice in a row, I could apply for a one point waiver. Since each time I took the test I was off in a different category, I am ineligible to apply for the waiver.

Now if someone else knows differently, than pass that gouge down this way! I'd love to be able to fly! Though, as awesome as it would be to fly, for me it's more important to be a Marine. So, I'll take whatever they want to give me!

Quote Originally Posted by AMW
    I would reccomend talking to a current female Officer, ask her about her experiences and everything you can absorb.
    My OSO organizes a district wide "mini-OCS" every year. If you are anywhere in or near 6th MCD take advantage of it and come! He brings down DI's from OCS for a weekend and everyone who attends gets a light taste of OCS. It runs Friday-Sunday. We get a taste of "pick-up", gear issue, humps, O-Courses, etc. And at the end there's a PFT. It's a hell of an experience (and fun after it's all said and done!)

He also asks a bunch of friends and fellow officers to come down and they do almost a forum type meeting for every MOS they can get down there. All the females who were there last April got to meet with a female 1st LT. who was a PAO and she gave some greet advice for female OCAN's in general and to me for wanting a PAO slot. It was great and I'm always willing to accept more advice...it just seems like they all say the same thing. But I've got open ears for anyone who wants to throw something my way!

Thread Information