Assaultman MOS
Create Post

Thread: Assaultman MOS

Assaultman MOS

What are the chances that you get assinged to that? Do you get assigned or do you have to tell your recruiter thats the school you want to go to after boot?

-Could anyone give me their personal experience with that MOS??

-If it's assigned to you based on your performance in Boot, is there anything I can do to improve my chances for being picked?

-How hard is the school for Assaultmen? ( assuming there is one )

-How hard is it to be an assaultman? Do you carry alot of weight? Is it mentally demanding?

-Do you have to be really good at math to be a successful assaultman?

-Do they get to have an m4 as well as carry the SMAW?

-How fun is it to be an assaultman?

If you are a reservist then you get a guaranteed 0351 assaultman contract, but if you are active then you go in the 03 field and put in for which specialty schooling you want for that field and hope you get in.

You arent picked based on boot performance.

Uhm I didnt think the school was too bad, of course its like I tell everyone, the school is as hard as you want to make it.

You carry a good amount of weight, the usual packing list for a rifleman along with either your M16 or M4 or M249 SAW and the DRAGON which can weigh a bit. Its not that mentally demanding.

You dont have to be a superstar at math.

I usually carry one or the other, usually the SAW.

I love it, you should too.

The chances of getting assigned are about as good as any. Just depends on the needs of the Corps

My personal experience with the Assualtman was with a line company. We were in the weapons plt for Lima 3/8. We carried the SMAW. We also carried all the other gear that normal Infantry carry. We normally covered roadways or kicked off the attack on the objective, by launching our Rocket into a building. At 142 dB, it makes quite an impression. It was nice. We were assigned other duties. We normally never had rounds (due to $$), so we cross trained into the mortars or 0331s. We also did some cross training with scout swimmers and STA. We also got to play with C-4 and TNT. Now that was a blast.

The school for 0351 is in the infantry school. You go about the normal stuff until it is time to branch off into the different MOS's. Assualtman, we did demo, vehicle identifcation, SMAW, and Dragon. Now i understand you do the Javilin (?). all about the same in time. The hardest part for me was the vehicle ID. Lots of NATO vehicles that you need to know. Dont want a friendly fire thing happening.

The weight that we carried was about an extra 30 pounds. That is with the weapon and rounds that we needed. But in a weapons plt, you always carried more due to the other weapons systems. I normally carried a base plate for the mortar system. Plus the SMAW.

Math - Don't know about that. You do have to have a strong sense of range finding skills for the target. If you know that length of a football field, then you should be fine.

M4s - I am old school. We had M16s. They worked just fine in killing the enemy without being "in style" or Cool.

Fun - not sure what you consider fun. I had a great time. Lots of buddies had a great time. We did our jobs and the company commander could count on us to complete the mission. We got to go to other schools and got some great cross trainning in the process. I can honestly say that I fired every weapons that a combat Marine Infantry man can shoot (except snipers). from the M16, M60, M240, 60 MM, 81 MM, SAW, MK19, M50, Dragon, AT-4, LAW, 203, and some of the other countries weapons as well.

Take what the Corps has to offer and then see what else you can add to it. Never limit yourself to on thing. Show some enthusiasm and see what the other 03's are using. You never know when the Sh*T hits the fan, what you might have to shoot back with.

This is probably a silly question, but do you have to hump with all the other infantry carrying all the extra stuff? Or are you usally given a vehicle to transport around in? And you carry it when your in combat or on a mission.

Not that I mind having to carry a heavier load or anything, I really want to be an assaultman, but how do you guys keep up with everyone else if your carrying like 30+ pounds of extra stuff on top of what you already have to. I mean I hear people talk about how infantry packs are alraedy heavy as ****.

LMAO! Sorry the last question just made me laugh. Yeah, you carry it all with you.

LMAO

Vehicles are you freaking serious?

Yes, they give you two black Cadillac’s to drive your sorry ass around with the gear!

Vehicles LMAO Again!

Quote Originally Posted by Adikt916
    This is probably a silly question, but do you have to hump with all the other infantry carrying all the extra stuff? Or are you usally given a vehicle to transport around in? And you carry it when your in combat or on a mission.

Not that I mind having to carry a heavier load or anything, I really want to be an assaultman, but how do you guys keep up with everyone else if your carrying like 30+ pounds of extra stuff on top of what you already have to. I mean I hear people talk about how infantry packs are alraedy heavy as ****.

You have your stuff and the stuff for the platoon. That all adds up to one hell of a load.

And You keep up by keeping up. You find the zone you find whatever motivates you to finish and you just do.

If your scared say your scared and get another MOS.

Yeah, I was going to mention the great ride he would get from those cadillacs but wasn't sure if they still issued those because I heard it's just those brown desert boots now. No more polishing!

yep...brown no polish boots...actually kinda comfortable.

but I agree...kiddo..if you are scared...don't be..we all (yes, even I) was a little nervous about the weight...then you find out that SOI instructors build you up to it...but it involves you taking personal initiative and working out when you can. And NOT doing what I saw Privates do while I was in the MCIC course drinking Monster, Rockstar, and Lost like it was water...

mabey youll get lucky and get assigned to lar (light armored recon) or as I like to call it grunts with wheeles. Assault mans a bad assed mos, I wanted it but ****ed up on the math test at soi, just makesure you can do highschool algebra and your asvabs are high and your good. Assaultmans pretty much an 11 with explosives and a smaw on his back.

I'm an 0311 but I have friends currently doing the 0351.

Here's what will happen.

You first graduate boot camp and become a basically trained Marine. At that state, you are nothing yet. Then, you report into School of Infantry West where you will be put into the Infantry Training Battalion and pick up with either Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, or Echo company. The first three weeks will be basic combat training where you learn the Common Skills. Here and there you might takes some algebra tests and perfomance evaluations. Do well on them. After the three weeks, you'll do the "split" where everyone goes into their respective MOS. They let you fill out a dream sheet so see what you want to be. If you pick 0351, you might want to be good at math, have a strong back, and be well-behaved. If you get 0351, you;ll be in the weapons platoon of your company and you will begin training. Most of your training will be operationg the SMAW. you will do little dmolitions and anything else. On the hikes, you will carry a SMAW in addition to your main pack. That'll be over a 100 pounds you will be carrying so expect that.

No, you will not get an M4. You get a SMAW to fire during training and during the hikes you will be paired up with another 0351 student. He will be carrying an M16A4. You guys will trade off weapons as you go on the hike and get tired and whatever.

No, you will no fire the Javelin. That is now the job of the 0352.

Be prepared for face a lot of competition to get 0351. But it is worth it. 0351 is somewhat coveted here at ITB. In reality, everyone wanted 0352 because it is the most advanced job within the infantry.

Quote Originally Posted by Adikt916 View Post
    What are the chances that you get assinged to that? Do you get assigned or do you have to tell your recruiter thats the school you want to go to after boot?

-Could anyone give me their personal experience with that MOS??

-If it's assigned to you based on your performance in Boot, is there anything I can do to improve my chances for being picked?

-How hard is the school for Assaultmen? ( assuming there is one )

-How hard is it to be an assaultman? Do you carry alot of weight? Is it mentally demanding?

-Do you have to be really good at math to be a successful assaultman?

-Do they get to have an m4 as well as carry the SMAW?

-How fun is it to be an assaultman?
    I'm not experienced at all in this MOS but I'm at SOI now. I'm in Echo Co. and I just found out I made the cut for the MOS. We have our MOS split in about a week, so if you have any questions PM me and I'll fill you in on how the training is. Best of luck to you.

Credits
    Savings
    The weapon thing will be entirely up to your unit. Our gunners (line Co.) had M4s off and on again. Just depends...

Thread Information