What a year...
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What a year...

What a year...

Hey guys,

This is going to be a long story, so please bare with me. I am not coming on here and posting this to complain about my situation. Just looking for some input and opinions on it.

I made the decision to join in Feb/March. My recruiter set it up for me to go to MEPS on 20070410. I scored a (70) on my ASVAB and I failed my physical. I failed the physical because of meds I was on as a child. Here are the detailes on the meds.

Aderal- I took this because my doctor thought I had ADHD. I was age 12. I was taken off of the medication three months later (still at the age of 12).

Paxil- I took this because of depression. Was percribed and removed from medication at the same time as the Aderal.

So this is why I was disqualified. I understood it and looked for a way to get it passed by the docs at MEPS. Most of you will wonder and might ask 'Why the heck would you even tell them about that?'. My answer is, I don't know. I felt I was being honest and I figured any good Marine would tell the truth, so let me start here since I want to become one.

My Recruiter wasn't happy about it and completely ignored me after the fact. Never once did he help me try to get a waiver or send my docs back up for further review. I went and got original medical records like MEPS asked for. I saw a doctor who evaluated me and said he saw no signs of depression or ADHD. I brought all of this to my recruiter and he still never tried to get me in.

So, about six months later, I went back to see him again. He still had all of my documents (Birth Certificate, SSC, etc. etc.). He still didn't have much to offer as far as getting me in. Until I told him I had a friend interested in joining. After I told him this he called me and told me this... If I can convince my friend to join and come talk to him, than he would be able to get me in on the buddy program with him. Well, my friend went up and decided to join. Except a week later he took my friend up to MEPS and signed him up without me. I felt used and still do. This all happened at the end of Nov. 2007.

So he then tells me on Nov. 31st he is going to resubmit my docs and try to get a approval. He does this and tells me I am good to go medicaly. He said all I had to do now was wait for a slot to open up for a GED.

Well a month went by and last night I decided to go up to the office and see what was going on (This entire time I have been going to the RSS for PT three nights a week and monthly poolee functions). I talked to the Gunny at my RSS and he looks into it. He tells me I am still DQ'd at MEPS and was never cleared medicaly. This blew my mind because my recruiter lied to me. So, the Gunny told me he would try to take care of it and get me in himself. He submitted my package today and got back a response.

They told him they needed it to be further reviewed by the Bureau of Medication (BuMED). I don't understand what the problem is here. I went onto the MEPS website and read all the rules and regulations. It clearly says that if I haven't taken the meds for Depression or ADHD in the last three years, then I cannot be DQ'd for it. Yet I was DQ'd twice. It does say MEPS can request medical documents. I got them the original med docs which took me a month to track down.

I feel like I am being run around in circles here for almost a year, for something they had no business DQ'ing me for in the first place. At this point I am just looking for any advice on what further steps can be taken here. I feel used and thrown aside by my recruiter. The guy refuses to answer his phone for me anymore. Its not like I am rude to him. I have nothing but respect when I talk to him and I honestly looked at him like a friend.

What can I do here? Is there even anything? Should I be getting a military lawyer involved since rules are not being followed by MEPS for my situation? I honestly don't know what steps to take or if there even are any. Any advice would be appreciated and sorry for the long post. At this point you are probably scratching your head in confusion, lol.

Thank You,

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan629
    It clearly says that if I haven't taken the meds for Depression or ADHD in the last three years, then I cannot be DQ'd for it.
    Sorry that was a false statement. It is actually one year! I have been of the meds for nine! it also states that as long as I have been off of them for over a year then a doc at MEPS will give me a mental screening or something like that. They never did that for me. They just DQ'd me when I told them about the meds. Here is a link. If what it says is correct, than why am I not being cleared by MEPS. It's honestly the most rediculous thing I have ever seen. DQ'ing me for meds I took when I was 12 (nine years ago). And I was on them for three months. Rediculous..

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joini...y/a/asthma.htm

You're looking at MEPS wrong. There is nothing that they "can't" disqualify you for. Any time they even start to think there's a problem they can bounce your paperwork. There have been countless Marines that have had to have waivers go through BUMED. Just let the process work- they really do know what they're doing.

As for the recruiter, I honestly cannot say I blame him. Getting someone in with a GED isn't easy. When additional problems pile on top of that, he probably felt as if his efforts would be better spent elsewhere. It is just a price you're paying for decisions you've made. It sounds like the Gunny is taking care of you though.

Well the Gunny is taking care of me. And you are right, I am paying a price for the decision to get my GED, instead of repeating 12th grade. Trust me, I regret it every single day that goes by. Hopefully BUMED will clear my medical and it will only be the GED that I need to get around. At least then I know I can always just take some college courses, worst case scenario. Then I'm good to go.

Thanks for clearing the thing about MEPS up though. I was under the impression that they had a rulebook to go by and it was that simple. Maybe that was just wishfull thinking.

This whole year, you should have been taking a few college courses. You can have gotten in enough classes to overcome the GED by now.

Well, you sound moto, which is good. You've kept trying, which is even better, and even better than that, you've actually done your OWN research, which is a rare thing to be sure.

MEPS exists today in large part to DQ people, in my opinion. Sometimes for good reason, other times, because it's primarily run by civilians now who don't give a rip and have no reason to try and get you enlisted. It's just another day to them, and easier to DQ you for stuff.

I think you'll likely get in, now that the Gunny has done your paperwork. But, it sounds like the other recruiter took everything into account (GED, meds, etc etc) and worked with what he had versus spending time with a motivated person who would require multiple waivers that may or may not get approved anyway.

Let BuMed do their thing, and good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by rvillac2
    This whole year, you should have been taking a few college courses. You can have gotten in enough classes to overcome the GED by now.
    You are absolutely correct about this. Unfortunately, I didn't even know college credits could equal a diploma for me until recently. My recruiter never mentioned it to me because he probably thought the GED slots were going to remain open. It's strange because I went to him and suggested I do this and he was opposed to it recently. He said it would be a waste of my time because he would get me in before I was able to complete the college courses.

I'm not blaming him. I still should have took it uppon myself to go do this regardless of what he said. I just figured he was the expert. It's strange because he won recruiter of the year, for the state of NJ this year. So, I feel like I am in the best hands possible for my area. But, at the same time, you guys are probably right. All of my issues piled on top of each other most likely scares him away from my situation.

Fortunatetly, the Gunny has seen my persistence and motivation towards this. So, he has taken it into his own hands and I finally feel like some kind of process has begun in getting me squared away.

what a sad state our country has become where every little child with an attitude problem, instead of a whipping, they get meds and are classified ADD/ADHD...

Nothing against you man, but your parents needed to spend more time with you and less working...

The immortal words of wisdom from Chili.

VERY true.

Teachers, I find, seem to push that BS to control the boys, instead of disciplining them. God forbid. It's easier when they are zombies...

They don't realize how much it screws these kids up.

Quote Originally Posted by chili77bowl
    what a sad state our country has become where every little child with an attitude problem, instead of a whipping, they get meds and are classified ADD/ADHD...

Nothing against you man, but your parents needed to spend more time with you and less working...

I couldn't agree with you more. I am more than willing to admitt, I was a little punk kid at the age of twelve. My teachers suggested to my mother, I may have ADHD. Instead of my mother whipping my arse like she should have, she took me to see a doc. This was around the time when every out of line kid was so called 'bi-polar' or had ADD. As far as my parents spending more time with me and less working.. You hit that on the nose as well, lol. My father (a Marine) owns a business and my mother is a Coorporate Nurse. Boohoo for me? Na, i'm not looking for that. Just saying you are correct.

Now it's coming back to bite me(ADHD). All I can do at this point, is cross my fingers and hope they clear me to go. Until then, I will keep going to PT and working at preparing myself, while still enjoying my time as a civilian.

Small Update:

The Gunny at my RSS never got an answer back from BUMED. So on Sat. morning I recieved a surprise phone call from my recruiter. He told me to come to the station right away.

He told me he wanted me to stay at a hotel and go back up to MEPS on the 18th of this month for another physical. From what I was told, the plan is to get me DQ'd again so MEPS will send it to BUMED again(Obviously if they do not DQ me, it will be better). They will then have to get an answer back by the end of this month. The bad news was that my recruiter lost my Social Security Card, Birth Certificate and GED. So, I'm going to have to get all of those again. No big deal.

As far as the GED situation is concerned... I have an appointment today at a local school, to enroll in a Adult Night School Program, which will earn me a real Diploma. My recruiter says if they open the gates for GED's before I graduate, I can still leave then.

Good part about this whole thing is that I feel like my recruiter is once again, making an effort to get things done for me. Wish me luck and I will be back with an update once the process gets further down the road.

A Recruiter losing important documents. Everyone knows that that is impossible. Sounds like this recruiter maybe should be on the drugs that you were taking. Make sure that you only believe 1/3 of what a recruiter tells you.

Just relax. It takes time. I blew my knee out playing football in high school.I almost gave up once, but one day out of the blue I got a call. I was 20 years old when my package was approved. I starting the enlistment process when I was a senior in high school. Keep at it. Take some college course while you are waiting.

I am trying my best to be as patient as possible. It is just harder now than ever. My best friend is in boot camp right now and I signed up a year before he did. There are about three other people I know personaly, who are also in Boot Camp. Just feels like everyone is getting their turn but me.

My recruiter confuses me too. I told him I was going to enroll into school today for my Diploma (have GED). He says good Idea. Then after I go I find out I wont get it until Jun 21st. He tells me nevermind it because the doors for GED's will be open by then and I will be in. All I want is to get a ship date and my mind will be at ease.

Yet another update:

Today I went into my RSS and to my surprise the SgtMaj of NJ was there. He was working on my paperwork as I walked into his office. I wont lie, just being in the same room as this Marine, scared me. Lol. He told me to sit tight and he would be contacting me before the end of the month with an answer from BUMED. He felt very confident. So, today was a very good day in my eyes.

Thread Information