Running Problems
Create Post

Running Problems

Hey guys,

I am having some problems with pain in my feet after running. It isn't really a aching pain you get from pushing muscles too far. It is more of a sharp pain in my ankles and through the top of my feet. I am still able to run through it, but it is slowing me down, I am sure, and the pain just wont go away.

It started a few weeks ago. I actually went about four straight days of no running and complete rest, to try and let it heal up. The pain dulled but the first time I went out to run again, it started and is now even worse.

Is this a result of the shoes I am wearing? They are Nike Air Max shoes. Probably not the best choice. Could I have a serious injury here or is this commen? I did have some problems with my feet as a child and I am afraid that it is coming back now. I had to wear these inserts in my shoes for some time at a young age.

I think your best bet would to be to talk to your doctor, other than that... ice it alot.

Something that might help too... www.webmd.com.
    This medical website has a feature called the "symptom checker" and it usually really good at pinpointing what is wrong with you. Give that a try.

Thanks for that site. Only problem is that it gives me a list of about 18 things that it could be. lol. Pretty cool program though. Thanks again.

The other thing I did not mention in my original post, is that the pain is not only in my feet. It is a very similar pain in my ankles. The pain is actually worse in my ankles, than in my feet.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Search on this site and a search engine for shin splints and see if your symptoms match.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Running problems? Kaopectate. "That was easy"

As a long time runner and marathoner I think I can shed some light on this and maybe help ya out.

For one, yes, your shoes are a bad choice for running in. That could easily be the problem, but usually bad shoes cause problems with you hips, shins, knees, or calf muscles. But bad shoes can cause problems with your ankles. I would suggest getting better shoes like: Asics, Brooks, Mizuno, or New Balance. They specialize in running shoes where Nike and Addidas do not.

There could be one of three more serious problems that happen with runners and joggers:

1) A stress fracture forming in the foot. Stress fractures suck, avoid them at all cost.

2) Tendonitis in the ankle could be possible. I know a few runners that have this problem, but just run through it because the pain isn't enough to stop them from running and it isn't making anything any worse. Pain builds character, haha.

3) Plantar Fasciitis would be a possibility too. You see this problem more with people who have flat feet or very low arches in their foot. It causes pain in the ankle and foot. My brother has this problem, with the flat feet, and he just runs through the pain. He's also one of the best junior marathoners in the country.

All of these are medical problems that should be seen by a doctor, especially a doctor that knows about running injuries. Some doctors don't know jack about running injuries. If I were you, get it checked out right away and get it healed up if possible. This isn't something that you want to play around with, especially while your in boot camp.

Hope this helps out.
    Good luck with training.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie
    Running problems? Kaopectate. "That was easy"
    LOL...Sparkie...you're too much, brother!!!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Seriously, If you just started running, structural problems,,,,,, If you've been running for awhile, Stress problems. Only a good doctor can tell for shure, and with soft tissue, Doctors don't know much. Start potassium suppliments. And glucoasmine.

Quote Originally Posted by ZaCo
    As a long time runner and marathoner I think I can shed some light on this and maybe help ya out.

For one, yes, your shoes are a bad choice for running in. That could easily be the problem, but usually bad shoes cause problems with you hips, shins, knees, or calf muscles. But bad shoes can cause problems with your ankles. I would suggest getting better shoes like: Asics, Brooks, Mizuno, or New Balance. They specialize in running shoes where Nike and Addidas do not.

There could be one of three more serious problems that happen with runners and joggers:

1) A stress fracture forming in the foot. Stress fractures suck, avoid them at all cost.

2) Tendonitis in the ankle could be possible. I know a few runners that have this problem, but just run through it because the pain isn't enough to stop them from running and it isn't making anything any worse. Pain builds character, haha.

3) Plantar Fasciitis would be a possibility too. You see this problem more with people who have flat feet or very low arches in their foot. It causes pain in the ankle and foot. My brother has this problem, with the flat feet, and he just runs through the pain. He's also one of the best junior marathoners in the country.

All of these are medical problems that should be seen by a doctor, especially a doctor that knows about running injuries. Some doctors don't know jack about running injuries. If I were you, get it checked out right away and get it healed up if possible. This isn't something that you want to play around with, especially while your in boot camp.

Hope this helps out.
    Good luck with training.

Thank You for this reply. You seem like you know a lot about these type of injuries and I will definately go see a Doctor ASAP!

Like you mentioned about your brother, I too, can just run through this pain . It actually hurts a lot when I first start running. Then when my body warms up I kinda forget about the pain. Then, when I am done, I can really feel the pain bad again.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie
    Seriously, If you just started running, structural problems,,,,,, If you've been running for awhile, Stress problems. Only a good doctor can tell for shure, and with soft tissue, Doctors don't know much. Start potassium suppliments. And glucoasmine.

I just started running in a serious way a few weeks ago. The problem first occured after my first IST, about three weeks ago.

I had the same problem you might have a foot defect like flat feet. Go to the doc and they will tell you whats up. For me they gave me insoles for my boots and go fasters and it stoped in a few days.

sucking it up is the easist way...and sorbethane insoles

You should definantly go see a doctor.

I have also had to fight through some problems with running, mainly knees and shin splints. I would recommend getting some serious running shoes. Check in your area and see if you have a store specifically for running- In Maryland we have Charm city run. They had me run on a tredmill, video taped it, and then watched it and recommended a shoe based on what they saw. I also know that some New Balence stores have some thing that you stand on that analyzes your feet for you. Also check out Super Feet inserts, I would recommend the green (cross training) kind.

But as alot of people have said, the best thing that you can do is to go see a doctor.

Dan,

Take care of your feet. The move the whole beast.

Check in with your sports center about some good running shoes, AFTER you see the doctor for an eval and checkup.

Getting sideline for some B/S that you could have prevented isn't being a "tough guy".

Good luck and keep us updated.

Thread Information