Hey poolees, this is the #1 piece of advice you can get before boot camp - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    In my months of being a member of this site, I remember all those posts by the most motivated poolee in the world, old Accord! He had a lot to prove to himself and the Corps and did so, I am proud to call him friend and brother, however, now that he's been in the Corps for a few months and is in the Fleet, the glory is gone. No more "DAMN ACCORD, THAT"S GREAT", stories.

Welcome to the Marine Corp Accord. We all have a bad day, but we seldom pass that on to the people that will be the future of our beloved Corps! There are three categories of Marines: The "Will Do Marines", The "I'll do what I have to Marines, and then the "I am tired of this crap Marines"!

Get a grip man, suck it up and be the Marine we were/are all proud of! Your words are true to some Marines and poolees, but some would take offense to them! We all had our Bad days, I know I did. I didn't like waiting to go to Nam, I didn't like waiting to do anything. I wanted everything yesterday! But the Corps does things based on experience. Now if you are unhappy at the end of your tour, then ETS.

The Poolees that come here, in case you have forgotten, ask for advice and suggestions to prepare for Boot Camp. They want this information, they need this information. Besides, it doesn't hurt them to work out and get used to the physical part of the Corps, does it? Aren't you glad you did?

The things you posted is all old news to us old salts, after all we've BTDT! But the poolees and wannabes, well they need motivation and support from all Marines!

That's my 2 cents, for what it's worth!

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie
    We have a sad and stupid hobby,,,,,,,,, We can never prep these wannabees. Thanks for the thoughtful post, Accord.
    I do remember a lot of mud, blood, and beer. Hurry up and be board out of your scull. Work till you drop, and enjoy the dissapointment. Was it worth it? YES>

SPARKIE, YOU'RE DAM RIGHT!! EVERY MEAL A FEAST, EVERY PAYCHECK A FORTUNE AND EVERY FORMATION A PARADE!!!!! I LOVE THE CORPS!!!
    OOH-RAH!!!

Accord Said:
    You don't need to be PT'ing 6 days a week for hours on end, you don't need to be up until 3am every day reading about Chesty Puller and Dan Daly, you don't need to be thinking about the Marine Corps 24/7, you don't need to be dreaming about dress blues and the silent drill team at night, you don't need to be running mock PFT's or IST's on a weekly basis, you don't need to be hanging out at your recruiters office after school everyday.

Of course nobody NEEDS to, they WANT to. They have the hunger. Might be time for a gut check and see if you still do. I think we all went through the Lance Corporal Blues...mine was about two years in though. I hope this is just your mid-tour crisis early, brother.

Sounds like you need some time with family to re-evaluate. I hope it comes soon for you.

Accord, BTDT. Man, there were days when I frakin HATED "the suck" when I was LCpl. But, it got better, even for the Leprechaun, and it will for you too.

That being said, he's 'livin the dream' right now (LOL) and his advice, while certainly not poetic, isn't too far from wrong. I tell wannabees, flat out, that ask me, they are going to HATE their first year or two in the Corps. They are going to cuss me, the recruiter, and anyone else who got them into this mess. The first real deployment they do, they will be scared, alone, and homesick. (Mostly) for the first month or so. But after that, it'll get better. I've deployed with the Air Wing, and the MEU, 4 times, twice to WestPac, once to the Med, and once OCONUS, so I know whereof I speak.

By the same token, you'll either eventually come to love deploying (as I did, but still missed my family) or you'll hate it, and get out. It's the way of things.

But, you ain't joinin to stay at home and be hangin off mommas tit, either. If you think that's what you want, then stay at home, live in the basement, and keep playing 'world of warcraft' or something.

Accord has a good point about all this prepping for Recruit training, and not thinkin about what comes after that. Realize that you have another three and a half years (at minimum) to do, and recruit training is only going to be a small part of your eventual career.

yea...

I wish I could follow Accord's advice, but for some people the opportunity isnt there for some people to enjoy their time with their families, and go out and have their fun before giving their life up to the government. I've worked since I was 15, not fast food entry level jobs, but a real job (manual machinist and cnc operator/programmer) Yea, no part time for me, I would've got the shaft if I didn't get my 40 hours in. Coupled with school, my job did not leave time for me to have fun again; I had my fun before I started work.

Fast forward to the present. I'm still working the same job, no more schooling though. I tell my family I am joining the Marine Corps, and they shun me out completely. There goes my holidays, the people I loved, and the support that I couldn't find nowhere else. The point of this ramble is, I do not have family to spend time with or friends to go hang out with, I have accepted that the Marine Corps is my new family, and I find life to be a little better hanging out at the recruiting station rather than sitting on my ass at home becoming fat, when I could be out exercising and gathering information from Marines who have been there and know the routine. I have accepted that I plan on making a career out the the Corps, and I am going to spend the rest of my civilian life preparing and educating myself for that career.

Poolee Henson (still motivated as ever)

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HensonJ
    I wish I could follow Accord's advice, but for some people the opportunity isnt there for some people to enjoy their time with their families, and go out and have their fun before giving their life up to the government. I've worked since I was 15, not fast food entry level jobs, but a real job (manual machinist and cnc operator/programmer) Yea, no part time for me, I would've got the shaft if I didn't get my 40 hours in. Coupled with school, my job did not leave time for me to have fun again; I had my fun before I started work.

Fast forward to the present. I'm still working the same job, no more schooling though. I tell my family I am joining the Marine Corps, and they shun me out completely. There goes my holidays, the people I loved, and the support that I couldn't find nowhere else. The point of this ramble is, I do not have family to spend time with or friends to go hang out with, I have accepted that the Marine Corps is my new family, and I find life to be a little better hanging out at the recruiting station rather than sitting on my ass at home becoming fat, when I could be out exercising and gathering information from Marines who have been there and know the routine. I have accepted that I plan on making a career out the the Corps, and I am going to spend the rest of my civilian life preparing and educating myself for that career.

Poolee Henson (still motivated as ever)
    Ooo-Rah!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I don't think I fit in the category of "obsessed" from how you defined it, haha, but I appreciate your advice.

However; I don't think we are doing that because we feel a need to do so for Recruit Training, but it becomes what we want to do. Well that's for my case.

I used to just sit around home all day in front of computer doing nothing after school or during weekends. After I enlisted in DEP I started working out and it totally changed me now that I want to run and do pull-ups and achieve the goal I set for myself. It is great to see how I improve.

My RSS pool really became my new family and it is great to spend time together with them. These days I haven't been able to go to every PT and Pool Function and also to this site because of school. I know school is more important at this point, but I hate to miss out PTing with my fellow poolees and also miss out on seeing them for the last time before they ship out until they come back from Recruit Training as a Marine. We are only poolees but we already seem to have a great bond and brotherhood. Just few days ago at PT a Marine who was poolee PTing with me 3 months ago came back and it was just awesome to see him back!

But I definitely do try to spend more time with my family until I ship out. I know that like you said Accord, I will be away from home for long time and may not be able to spend much time with them anymore, and I would be making my parents lonely and stuff like that.

I think it is all about balancing the time and time management. Prepare for Recruit Training and do what you like to do, but also make sure to spend time with your family and take care of other stuff.

Thanks for the advice!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    From what I see, it looks like Accord made a lot of people think, and re-assess. Good or bad {Good AND Bad}, the Corps is what it is. Some were shaped early in life to want it, with whatever pre-conceived notion they nursed along. If your pre-conceived notion doesn't fit your experience,you will most likely get out. If you can't adapt and overcome, you will most likely get out. Get out, Stay in, whatever. either way, you will have changed forever, But our Marine Corps Will remain the same. Semper Fi.

I definitely agree with Accord here, but I find nothing wrong with being "better" prepared for anything. I know I am just a boot, but I find myself wanting to learn everything and soak in everything my Combat Instructors and fellow Marines have to teach me. I would change his saying to there is nothing in the civilian world that can fuly prepare you for what you are about to do, what you are about to get yourself into, and what you need to know. Everything in life will be different. Everything is new and the key is to be ready to learn and to be ready to do anything necessary to succeed and do so without question. I am only in SOI now, but I am definitely wishing everyday that I could spend just another minute with my family. You will learn that you have nothing in common with your "civilian" friends. I go through my phonebook countless times to find no one to talk to (even people I could have spent countless hours on the phone with before) You have nothing to talk about and things are just different. Nothing is better than hearing your family talk to you on the phone and just hearing there voice and having them comfort you. Spend that time with your family and dont stress over everything. They will give you everything you need and tell you everything you need to Dont stress it.

I agree with Accord with some of the comments he made. He’s right, for your final months, weeks, and days as a civilian you should (if you can) spend time with your family and friends. Have a fun time, for those of us who are 21, go with the friends to the bars, stay out late, play with Fido, %#^$ Suzy. Do what you want to do, when you want to do it, while you still can.

Where I have to disagree is telling recruits not to obsess with the Marine Corps. Isn’t that what the Marine Corps. wants. Motivated, even obsessive recruits that are willing to go the extra mile to be physically, mentally, and intellectually prepared. Yes, I along with many others in my place have no idea what we are about to embark on and there might be no way we can fully prepare in civilian life. But it doesn’t hurt to try and attempt to get an idea of what might be to come.

The Marine Corps. is the most elite fighting force in the world. Marines strike fear into every military body on Earth. They are the greatest military force in known history dating back to the British Navy in the Napoleonic Era, the Mongol’s cavalry, and of course the armies of the city-states Sparta and Athens in ancient Greece. They were good, damn good, but the Marines still stand on top.

I think a lot of us would agree that we didn’t join the Corps. to just get by, I sure as hell didn’t. If I wanted that, I would have joined the Army. (No offense to the Army, they are great too) I joined the Marine Corps. because they are the best and I didn’t want anything less than that. I can’t sit here and believe that the Corps. wants mediocrity, I would think that they wanted the best of the best or those who are willing to kill themselves to be the best. If I’m wrong, tell me and I’ll lower my expectations heading into boot camp.

But until somebody convinces me that the Marine Corps. is nothing but average people becoming average soldiers, I will train my ass off seven days a week, read every bit of literature relevant, cram as much information into my cranium as humanely possible, and I will do it until the day they tell me it’s my turn to go and I would advise anyone else to do the same.

Well that was unexpected. After reading through the thread it has only added to my motivation.

ZacCo, how could you, as a poolee, possibly know what he was right or wrong about? I happen to agree with some of what you're saying- but you haven't been there yet.

I think it's good to be obsessed. My buddy, who is at PI now, would constantly talk about the Marines, and yes, Chesty before he left. When I get his letters that say how hard it is, how he's getting smoked and killed, the one line at the end of his letters removes all doubt..."All I want dude is that Eagle, Globe, and Anchor, it's what I've been thinking about for all these years, and I'm going to get it..." And I know he will. Him and I PTed all the time before he left. The dreams of being a Marine was 24/7 for us. I'm confident that this mindset will bring him success at PI, and that it will hopefully push me through OCS, so that I, God-willing, can become a Marine myself.

Also, my buddy had a lot to "lose," so dreaming about the Corps brought him a lot of hope. He had a job he was going to leave, and a semester of college to be missed. How was he to be confident in his decision to go to PI, without dreaming about it? Even in my case...I go to a great college, I have great internships I could be doing this summer...but I will be attending OCS with failure always lingering around the corner. I want to prep the best I can, and what motivates me through all the prepping is my dreams. I don't think there's anything wrong with that...

On the flipside, I see some of Accord viewpoints. Alot of times, my buddy would go out on the town rather than PT. I think that going out for the last few times was good for his head, but then again, I see in his letters, "I wish I PTed more..." And he's a pretty physically solid guy. On a more practical note, I think that overdoing the PT could prove physically harmful. After I took my contract PFT, I worked so hard at it that my body was breaking down all over place. For a guy who could do 20+pullups, 10 became hard. My OSO told me literally to just take it easy for the next month or so....and I will. I've never been to PI or OCS, but I think it's safe to say that along with a bad attitude, having an injury is one of the worst things that can happen to you.

So dream all you want, and train as hard as you can--I'd assume that when the going gets tough, your dreams and preparation might be what gets you through. But don't hurt yourself before you even get the chance to live those dreams! (if that makes any sense )

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Cwalling
    just an observation...and this is by NO MEANS criticizing accord.

accord,as a poolee was one motivated S.O.B and ate,slept and dream'nt USMC it seemed. but now your a grunt and you post this...

i have a friend jack,he was the same way..motivated like a M'fer then he finished boot,went to SOI..got 0331 then did an 8 month tour in fallujah.at the point between SOI and the deployment he lost all motivation..complained constantly about how grunts get the "sh*t end of the stick" and POGUES this and POGUES that.

do all grunts act like this? after the deployment and currently he is pretty excited about being a Marine especially a grunt,but that time between SOI and deployment he seemed to hate being a grunt.

Accord has every right to his own opinion. He makes some good points too. No matter who you are, you will encounter people who have different attitudes and views on life. Whether the subject is the Marine Corps, or family, politics, or whatever you can choose to listen to what you like and change your mind too.

Some days, being in the Corps is just another job. Some days it's an experience that will change your life forever. Such is all life. Accord is bringing us all back to Earth, which is good sometimes. Maybe we have to dig into Accord's statements here to see the positive twist. I've learned that in most cases in life, the more prepared you are, the more successful you become. So you should not believe that in the Corps is all going to be Dress Blues, happiness, and prosperity, hence one of our favorite qutes, "We never promised you a rose garden". What you may want to consider is, when you look back at the years of your life, did you do it well, to the expectations you had for yourself? Did I work at 7-11 or some mediocre employment and have a tough life, or maybe instead were you a Marine who had a tough life? Most people on this Earth don't get the opportunities an American gets, or the freedom to try an make the most of it all. It turns out a Marine Corps life is the highlight of life for many of us, even when it sucked. We often don't see it until years later, when hindsight becomes 20/20. Maybe we Marines all love to torture ourselves, and that's why we choose the harder path in the military? Bunch of sick bestards, aren't we then?

To Accord...I'll put $20 that you re-enlist at least once, Brother, whether reserves or active. A Marine Corps career flys by, and 20 years is but a blink in time. Many of the Marines who were "sh!t-hot" got out after the 1st tour....many who b!tched all the time made careers of it. Still haven't fully figured that one out...and every rule has exceptions.

No matter what your circumstance is, being positive in life is a choice, so is being negative. Successful people are 99% positive attitude and good planning, (and a little good fortune never hurts). Tough times, bad experiences, failures, & unhappiness are unavoidable part of life, but don't throw away a good game plan each time you get handed an overwhelming challenge. Get over it and carry on.

SFi
    C

I think a lot of people are misunderstanding the parts of this post and are taking this as a point that Accord is "demotivated" I couldn't find anything more incorrect here. I see this post and I found that the Marine Corps has allowed him the opportunity to appreciate what he had more in the civilian world...his family and probably his freedom. I am figuring this out even now. You cannot understand what you have until it is gone and when it is gone, as I am sure many of you BTDT Marines can attest, you want it back even more.

I have no doubt in my mind that Accord is still a Marine's Marine and is just struggling with the high moto world we find here with the Poolees. I find nothing wrong with that, but what is important to understand that all the time you spend preparing above and beyond what you could, you could be spending with your family and friends. I have one regret and that was that this summer as I lived alone I spent my entire time preparing for the Marine Corps and shunned many friends and family members. I have thus lost many friends and wish only to be able to mend these relationships especially in a time when you find that friends a few and far between because you are so far away.

Don't take this post for face value, it is much more. I find that this has made me re-evaluate what is important in life and maybe it isn't to spend all my time in the gym or reading the history of the Corps or in my case spending so much time on this site (though this addiction is hard to kick) Just understand that when you become a Marine poolees that you haven't just joined the glee club or a football team, you have joined an elite organization that revolves around hard work, leaving the civilian part of you life in the rear, and essentially making you make sacrifices that are often hard to deal with like leaving your family. Take a moment to understand what you have in life, maybe it isn't your family and maybe it isn't something tangible but just think about it, you'll find it and then when you become a Marine you'll miss it. Soak it in now.

Thread Information