Kid at school. (wow)
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Kid at school. (wow)

So today I asked a kid in school who recently joined the Army if he in fact joined the Army he said "yea." I jokingly responded by saying "Damn man should of gone Marine Corps." Then he said "No way man I was at MEPS and all the guys joining the Marines just joined because of Pride, at least in the Army we get more money and more bonuses" which I said "bro, everyone gets paid the same according by rank, if you joined because of the money then your gonna hate your 4 years in."

Seriously it just showed the difference between the people who join the Marines Vs Army.

btw sorry for the bad spelling and grammatical mistakes haha.

While the differences aren't neccesarily always the case, I witnessed the same thing. I was fortunate when I went up to MEPS(the first time, the time I stayed in the Hotel) I went with about 20 Marine shippers, some of whom I knew. When I was in that lovely main room waiting for my recruiter there was the one army kid who we had been ragging on all night waiting for his recruiter as well.

A Marine shipper asked him what job he selected and he replyed he didnt know but he thinks it has something to do with radios. We were like, you THINK?? He says, "yea, I just asked for whatever had the biggest bonus." Also, is it true that they get paid while they are DEP, he said he thought he would be.

Only join for the Pride?? I'd PAY (fiscally) to be a Marine!

Mike

there was only 2 ppl DEPing in for the Marines when i was there an it was me an some other dude. Me an that dude had to fight with the damn army bout everything... the dudes Deping in for the army was talking bout how they were going to buy a new yukon an put 24's on there ride an ****... hell but i garentee me an dude wear the most neat dressed an well mannered an I garentee we had more self-esteem an pride...then all of them army dudes put together...I'm glade for the army an all but they are some confused ppl compared to Marines

Quote Originally Posted by crazymjb
    I was fortunate when I went up to MEPS(the first time, the time I stayed in the Hotel) I went with about 20 Marine shippers, some of whom I knew.
    20?!? Wow. There were two of us versus about 15 Army/National Guard.

I think in most cases, Pride is the deciding factor between going USMC or Army. I heard the bonus is up to 60K now. That's a lot of money. It takes someone who really wants to Serve to turn that down.

My recruiter has the great story of the first time he went to a high school during the ASVAB, and it was him and some Army recruiter standing there handing out the scores. This kid came up with some cocky grin and flashed his score (I think it was a 50 or something). The Army recruiter immediately starts thowing numbers at the kid, bonuses for this, bonuses for that. Gives the kid his card and tells him to call if he's interested in some free cash. The kid turns my recruiter and says, "What can the Marines give me?" My recruiter told him the Marines didn't give anybody anything; if he worked hard they'd reward him. He gave the kid his card and told him if he wanted to be man, give him a call.

It amazes me to no end every time I read a post like this one. To join a branch of the service for any other reason than the Pride, Honor, Sense of Giving, and the Brotherhood that goes along with it is beyond me. And if those things are the reason someone wants to join the services then there is no other better than the USMC. I understand having the other motives there. Education opportunities, insurance for your family, and monetary reasons are absolutly reasonable things to have on your list but I guess I can't imagine having those take priority. Without the former reasons, it doesn't seem like the latter would make the military an enjoyable career choice (even a temporary one) given the high chances of deployment and such. Just my opinion tho.

--Michael D. Langley

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Only join for the Pride?? I'd PAY (fiscally) to be a Marine!
    Good thing you qualified that statement, because you certainly will. But that is one reason being a Marine is so special.

What's with all this talk about money? Am I the only guy joining because he wants to fight?

No mom, I won't join for computers and money.
    No dad, I won't join to get mechanics skills.
    No i'm not doing it for the money.
    No I won't join the Air Force because they have nicer housing.
    No I don't care about life after the Military.

Call me a kid (i'm 21 btw), call me dumb, or call me ignorant, but don't call me a coward because i'm joining the Marines to **** up terrorists and people who **** with my country.

Last edited by thedrifter; 12-13-07 at 09:32 AM.

I think the Army lets you fight too.

I've tried to explain the pride thing to so many people. However they don't seem to understand. It's like all they care about in the world is their paycheck and working a meaningless job. Not to mention thinking they are so much better than me because I'm "throwing away four years of my life." I have a little 7 letter phrase I throw at them, can you guess it?

In my opinion if people can't understand the words "pride", "honor", "courage" and "commitment" they should just shut the **** up.

Last edited by thedrifter; 12-13-07 at 09:32 AM.

Honestly, I get a little tired of this. The men and women of the US Army are serving honorably in the exact same places as the US Marines. We need the Army. The Marine Corps cannot win wars alone. You need a large standing army to hold ground (remember, an army is bigger than a corps/3 corps=1 army traditionally).

Not everyone can be, or should be, a Marine. Yes, we're all proud of being Marines. We're different. But, I am just as thankful for the brave men and women of the US Army. Without them, we'd be in pretty bad shape.

I'm with you E4B. Three of my uncles (one, a bronze star recipient) and three of my cousins are in the army. We definitely need the army and they do amazing things all the time just like Marines, sailors, and airmen. I think the thread just got a little skewed from it's original purpose. I have had a similar experience to Chrisbrv. One of my friends joined the army for 6 years solely for the signing bonus and "job stability". I tried to give her my "wisdom" that the air force might be a better choice for her she couldn't see it, the 11 grand was blinding. But props for her and all the others that have and are serving out country. Maybe her heart is with it, what do I know? I'm just joining to Corps for pride and all that junk....

Also, is it true that they get paid while they are DEP, he said he thought he would be.
    Mike
    I'm pretty sure that they don't get payed in the DEP.

I don't look at the ARMY DEP stuff, so i'm not sure, but i'd assume it's a no.

As a former member of the Army National Guard, turned Marine. I can tell you that I joined the National Guard out of pride. Pride for the state of Arkansas, pride for my family (my dad is STILL National Guard), and pride for my country. So, whenever you speak that the Army doesn't join for pride...**** off. You poolee's are welcome to sling all the pride and motivation you want around in your own minds, but when you start getting offensive to the other branches of service, remember that not all the Marine's you meet feel the same.

I am VERY proud of my National Guard time, and am glad I did it. It made me realize that I DID in fact enjoy the military life.

Well, that was my 10 yen.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisbrv
    So today I asked a kid in school who recently joined the Army if he in fact joined the Army he said "yea." I jokingly responded by saying "Damn man should of gone Marine Corps." Then he said "No way man I was at MEPS and all the guys joining the Marines just joined because of Pride, at least in the Army we get more money and more bonuses" which I said "bro, everyone gets paid the same according by rank, if you joined because of the money then your gonna hate your 4 years in."

Seriously it just showed the difference between the people who join the Marines Vs Army.

btw sorry for the bad spelling and grammatical mistakes haha.
    There is a difference in character between soliders and Marines, sure, but we need the Army. The Army saved everyone's ******** during WWII (not to mention kick some ***) Remember D-Day? Yeah look up "Band of Brothers" and educate yourself. The Army has done some OUTSTANDING things in history and is way older than the Corps. Both the Corps and the Army are vital forces to the USA. Please thank your soliders and Marines.

NOW HEAR THIS>>>>

WATCH YOUR LANGAGE!

AND DON"T OVERRIDE THE CENSOR!

ELLIE

Last edited by thedrifter; 12-13-07 at 09:01 AM.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    And Bastogne.

Thread Information