Weapons Companies
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Weapons Companies

I know that all Marine battalions have 3 rifle companies and a weapons company. What does the weapons company do, do they use mortars or rocket launchers or something like that. Exactly how are they organized and what do they do is what I would like to know.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Organized into sections. I maybe wrong on the nomenclature since the weapons have changed since my time. 81MM Mortars, 50 Cal. Machine Gun, Anti-Armor-Tows and Dragons.They provide support for the three line companies. Each section was broke down into teams and was assigned to a company. The company commander sent the teams to the platoons that he wanted to have that additional support. Then the platoon commander used them to his discretion.

Also in a battalion there is a HQ Company that provides the Admin,logistics,supply et.

Things may have changed and I may have missed some. But that's how I remember it. NEW grunts jog my memory.

It has been a few years since I was a part of Wpns. Co. but when I was doing it, TOWs and Heavy Guns (50 cal and Mk-19) were combined into CAAT (Combined Anti-Armor Team). Other than that, that's how we were doing it when I left the reserve.

I'm in WPNS Co. right now and this is how we're set up. 81mm mortar platoon. CAAT platoon, Headquarts platoon and STA platoon. A lot of battalions have STA (snipers) in H&S company. That just depends on who you end up with. Mortars and CAAT have two seperate sections. Once in country all those sections will be considered seperate and be in support of the line companies. Say Kilo company has a night raid and they need some 50 cals and what not setting security around the block. Ok. CAAT Sec 1 your going out with Kilo to provide perimeter security. Roger. Sit aroud the block and not do too much but sit there and not let anyone in lol. Then there are the mounted patrols they'll go on and things like that. Basically CAAT has all the heavy guns (.50 cal and MK19) Mortars will have a few heavy guns but mainly just 240s. HQ will have personal security for the company commander, 1st SGT, XO, and Ops Cheif and a few designated marksmen. If there is anything I didn't cover just let me know and i'll try to answer it to the best of my ability.

I'm surprised that your Sun Tan Association is with Wpns and not H&S, but it doesn't totally defy logic.

Yeah they may get their sun tans but all the ones i'm friends with can break me off in PT, stay up for hours on end and then take a well aimed shots from the grand line. They may not do much in the read but when they train they train X10 of what other grunts do. As far as them not being with H&S it has a lot to do with our Ops Chief keeping them there and the fact we'll all be tasked out in support of the line companies anyway.

Well, I got friends in lowly places,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Brewer0311
    Yeah they may get their sun tans but all the ones i'm friends with can break me off in PT, stay up for hours on end and then take a well aimed shots from the grand line. They may not do much in the read but when they train they train X10 of what other grunts do. As far as them not being with H&S it has a lot to do with our Ops Chief keeping them there and the fact we'll all be tasked out in support of the line companies anyway.
    Lance Corporal Brewer, you the man! You are motivating me devil dog! I had to think about X10, I have to admit it but I'm feeling you now, I'm feeling you now 10X baby! Hey Marine, seriously though remember while you have a bunch of good fresh knowledge to pass on you also have a limited window to look from, about a year? But I like reading your comments because you remind me of a lot of young Marines that I knew, with all due respect. Remember though, there's an awful lot of knowledge out there. Semper Fi Marine

Quote Originally Posted by thewookie
    Lance Corporal Brewer, you the man! You are motivating me devil dog! I had to think about X10, I have to admit it but I'm feeling you now, I'm feeling you now 10X baby! Hey Marine, seriously though remember while you have a bunch of good fresh knowledge to pass on you also have a limited window to look from, about a year? But I like reading your comments because you remind me of a lot of young Marines that I knew, with all due respect. Remember though, there's an awful lot of knowledge out there. Semper Fi Marine
    I get a little frustrated sometimes becuase I'm such good friends with some of those Marines. Everyeone thinks that they just hang out and do whatever all day and very few have been to the field with them. Also I should probably just write "times 10" next time. I also don't have the option to edit my previous post. It seems I put "read" instead of "rear". Just in case anyone else comes across this topic and it doesn't make sense to them. What can I say though... I like motivating others. Have to be motivated to come straight to the fleet as an 0311 and be stuck with 81mm mortars. For some reason a lot thought I should already have the knowledge of mortars . But as time went by I learned them and the machine guns also. It was kind of a blessing in disguise I guess.

Brewer, I have a great deal of respect for the snipers. There is no doubt about the fact that when they work they work as hard or harder than any Marine on the planet. But the fact that STA can also mean Sun Tan Association isn't exactly a secret. I've never known any of them to take offense at the comment either- they know who they are and what they do. They don't usually seem to care what anyone else thinks of them- which is a sign that they're pretty secure in the fact that they're some of the best of the best. If it offended you I apologize- that wasn't my intention.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewer0311
    I get a little frustrated sometimes becuase I'm such good friends with some of those Marines. Everyeone thinks that they just hang out and do whatever all day and very few have been to the field with them.
    I understand what you're saying and it's true but that's also true of all jobs or occupations in the Corps (or life for that matter) when others aren't in the loop so then they speculate, or are jealous or they player hate. A lot of Marines that are in have no clue what the day to day training schedule entails when you're in a STA platoon. But if you ask anyone from a line company or those that have been around any STA platoon, they'll tell you that they're the real deal. Most of those guys like to have you think they're slackers, it's just another form of confidence for them. They'll suck you in thinking you can hang and then they drop the bomb on you when they get you in boots and utes and go for a little gas mask run or something fun like that. Don't worry about the haters, Brewer, they're everywhere and only trying to take you down.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I've seen both schools of thought followed in the chain of command for STA. Placement in H&S put them closer and in direct command of S-2 and were outstanding instruments of intel. Placement in Weapons CO put them side by side with 81's and proved to be some outstanding FO's. Not a poke at sta but I do know they get along better with the butchers bakers and candlestick makers in garrison then they do with heavy machine guns and tow gunners.

You guys crack me up. Thanks for the Monday morning giggles.
    Semper Fi, bros.

And Calvin. Give us another 100 situps for answering another one of your questions.

Doesn't everyone get along with the butchers, bakers, and candlestick makers better than they do with the TOW gunners and machine gunners? It seems like most Marines that I can think of have some pretty good stories about "issues" between them and some people in a wpns. co. somewhere.

Thread Information