Crash Fire Rescue
Create Post

Crash Fire Rescue

I am a Poolee and signed my contract of a Reserve Motor T Mechanic. Boot camp is in two month and I cannot wait. (20080211)
    I have been thinking about changing reserve to active duty. The MOS I would like to have is Crash Fire Rescue. Is there any Crash Fire Rescue personnel in this forum that would like to share their experience about how their MOS works?
    I am wondering on base as active duty, do you work on Fire Engines? Or is it being an actual firefighter on the base?

Thank you

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    HAHAHAHA - you'll be known as a Crispy Critter! It wasn't my MOS but someone in it told me one time (simply put) - it pretty much means you will Rescue Crash Fire folks but, you'll set most of the fires yourself just to keep you in practice for when/if one ACTUALLY crashes - which probably ain't that often (it wasn't even in my time). If you're a pyromaniac you should have a good time.

It isn't being a firefighter like you're thinking. You specialize in aircraft crashes. (The fire trucks are cool- look like a combination hummer and truck). There are plenty of perks- you get to go to the front of the line in the chow hall, spend most of your time in coveralls, and you get to have a good time when you're training. But, the hours can be pretty crappy and most of the time you're not doing your job but just training.

Howsomever - - when you are needed, NOTHING can replace a well trained crash crew. Just remember, Marine lives (and others that may need your runway) are on the line. As I recall, MOS school is now at P'Cola.

Corbin I retired from Orange County (Fl) Fire Rescue Dept and I'll tell you right now if theres any way for you to get into that MOS grab it!! If nothing else its going to prepare you for a good job in civilian life. You do specialize in aircraft incidents but you are also going to have a small front run area around the airfield and you can actualy be pretty busy with real calls. Guys help me out here my info on Marine Corps air crash crew is waaay beyond its sell by date. That being said when I was in they worked a 24 on 48 off schedule just the same as alot of civilian FDs Thats subject to change and probably has,the Marine Corps isnt all that into time off. When your on duty and not training you may not turn a wheel some days but there will be others that you dont see the station all shift. Your training will be a little on the harsh side of unpleasant, its a hot gritty job and there isnt much equipment on a fire truck youd call light. Id still rather fight an all night structure fire than go up mount Mother Fu**er again though. The good thing is that its going to set you up with good marketable skills for civilian life. You'll have certifications in aircraft fire fighting, structural fire fighting, emergency medical service, haz mat and extrication just to name a few. Right now starting salaries for Firefighters are over 30k a year in alot of major metropolitan FDs. The competition is fierce though. Having an honorable discharge from the Marine Corps gives you an automatic boost and being Air Crash Crew will count for even more than that. Its not a guarantee but it sure helps alot

ive seen them they sit in the middle of the runway and just sit and sit and sit..

and sit and sit and sit. A PC will tell a pilot they have hotbreaks then they dress up in foil and drive out to the plane and then they sit and sit and sit and sit and sit..

Then you return and clean and clean and clean

Thread Information