Addition to the PFT the CFT
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Addition to the PFT the CFT

I got this off ************* Looks like Gen. Conway is leaving his mark.

All of these will be done on the same day as your PFT... So if your looking to be a Marine. Stand by...

Grenade Throw

Test Procedure:
    -Marine assumes start
    position
    -On command of monitor at start line, Marine throws 1lb medicine ball as far as possible. On follow-through, the Marine’s body may extend over the start line.
    -Throw must land within area of range fan to count
    -Second monitor in landing area records distance of throw from the indentation of the ball closest to the start line.
    -Second monitor calls mark to monitor at start line who records the mark and rolls medicine ball back to start line.
    -Marine being tested gets three attempts.
    -Furthest throw counts as score.

Dynamic Entry

Test Procedure:
    -Starting position is the Standing position.
    -On the command “Begin”, Marine sprints and touches line next toCone 2 with right hand. Then sprints back and touches line next t Cone 1 with right hand. Marine then sprints outside of Cone 2 and takes an inside path around Cone 3. Marine then proceeds through Cone 2 and bursts toward the finish.

Maneuver Under Fire (with Diagonal running)

Test Procedure:
    -Marine assumes prone position at start line
    -On command “Begin”, Marine covers a distance of 25 yds, using the High Crawl technique (on knees and elbows with head off ground).
    -At 25 yard mark, Marine rises and runs in zig-zag manner through cones as pictured:
    -Cones 5 yds apart in width and length
    -When 50 yd line is reached, Marine turns around, hits the deck and High Crawls back to 25 yard line.
    -At this line, Marine rises and sprints to finish.

Maneuver Under Fire (w/ Straight Ahead running)

Test Procedure:
    -Marine assumes prone position at start line
    -On command “Begin”, Marine covers a distance of 25 yds, using the High Crawl technique (on knees and elbows with head off ground).
    -At 25 yard mark, Marine rises and sprints to 50 yard line.
    -Marine turns around, hits the deck and High Crawls back to 25 yard line.
    -At this line, Marine rises and sprints to finish.

Casualty Carry

-Marines are paired up by size. For greater accuracy in pairing Marines, a scale can be used with 10 lbs the max difference allowed when determining pairs. In the case of extremely large Marines for whom there is no match in the group tested, extra weight (SAPI, etc.) will be put on the Marine who is closest to the bigger Marine in weight until the difference in weight is 10 lbs or less.
    -The starting position for the “Rescuer” is the prone Position at the start line. The “victim” is 50 yds away In the supine position with feet towards the start line.
    -On command “Begin”, the rescuer rises and sprints 50 yds to the victim.
    -The rescuer lifts the victim Into the Fireman’s Carry position and sprints back to the start line.

That isn't bad at all. And honestly, much more useful than the traditional PFT. You're likely to do these things- but I doubt any Marine has ever run three miles in shorts and running shoes in combat.

Casualty Drag

-Marines are paired up by size. For greater accuracy in pairing Marines, a scale can be used with 10 lbs the max difference allowed when determining pairs. In the case of extremely large Marines for whom there is no match in the group tested, extra weight (SAPI, etc.) will be put on the Marine who is closest to the bigger Marine in weight until the difference in weight is 10 lbs or less.
    -The starting position for the “Rescuer” is the prone Position at the start line. The “victim” is 50 yds away In the seated osition with back towards rescuer.
    -On command “Begin”, the rescuer rises and sprints 50 yds to the victim.
    -The rescuer lifts the victim into the Buddy Drag (underarm carry) position and sprints back to the start line.

Ammunition Resupply

Test Procedure:
    -The starting position is the prone position. On the command “Begin”, the Marine rises, picks up two (2) ammo cans, sprints 25 yds and returns to the start line. The Marine changes direction, Sprints to the 50 yd line and returns to the start line. The Marine changes direction, sprints to the 75 yd line, changes direction and sprints
    to the finish. At each change of direction, the Marine squats and touches ammo cans momentarily on the deck.

With all those events a PFT could take a week! It already takes long enough for them to demonstrate how to do a pull up and a crunch, now they're gonna have to explain how to run around cones, throw balls, and carry people.

Just because I'm curious...a recruit would normally learn/demonstrate these sort of exercises at MCT/SOI? All in all this is very interesting. Thanks for posting!

Is this effective now or will it be implemented sometime in the future? Just curious :-)

Quote Originally Posted by RockSteady85
    Is this effective now or will it be implemented sometime in the future? Just curious :-)
    It's to start June of 2008 per the White Letter issued today.

I emailed my SSgt this thread this morning and this new CFT spurred alot of discussion and criticism (already) of it.

Cool, cool, thank you for answering that. Now I have another question, of course LOL - will they kind of put a grandfather clause on this and require everyone to do it (ie., will they start teaching this at recruit training ASAP) or will it just be new recruits as of June 2008? I suppose they would grandfather it, but I'm just curious if I am going to encounter some new prep for this at PI when I am supposed to leave 17 December. Just curious :-)

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    If it doesn't take effect until June 2008, you likely won't do it in boot camp. You will do some similar things. However, in June 2008, you will be doing it where ever you are.

I'm sure most units will hold practice sessions so everyone learns the routine and learns what they have to do to prepare physically.

I'm going to boot in May of 08. I'm assuming I might be one of the first recruits to see training for this implimented in recruit training?

I read that white letter today and thought it was pretty interesting. I know in my unit we had some pretty big, not fat guys, who would never make height/weight and smoke the PFT.(280-300) And the way it works for the body composition is that if you have a huge neck then you can "make" the body composition standards. Seems like it is punishing good Marines who geneticially can't get there. I know as a Corpsman, we would measure these guys and granted you always have a few who need to trim down but many were just big freakin guys.

I'll be getting my first taste of this soon. "CFT Practice" is on our PT calendar for December 7th. We're doing it in boots and utes...I wonder if that's the way it'll be done after the PFT. Should be interesting.

Let us know how it goes, BR...I'm pretty curious to see how things might work too :-) Good luck!

Credits
    Savings
    Somebody thinking of bringing the old PRT back?

Thread Information