Sound Off!!! - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Sound Off!!!

Credits
    Savings

Princeton, Iwo Jima and Tripoli.

Sometime in '66 & '67.

If it hadn't of been for us being able to sleep in our 46's, I'da died.

Went below to eat chow once a day, with our green CC vests on so we could go to the head of the line, and then a quick SS&S.

We begged to make the mail runs, where we would pickup real food and beer.

I remember the CO asking for volunteers to get off and stay at Marble, and miss out on the ride to the PI's. I stayed and don't regret it one bit.

My PI experience was by air, and I was in a bit of pain.

Glad you refreshed my memory on the Windham County, Ed. I did the same thing. I used our compartment to shower, shave, and change clothes, but when it came time to sleep, I simply sprawled arcoss the seat of a truck on deck.

Do you remeber when we disembarked on Taiwan, a SSGT Jack McClure tried to pull an equipment trailer down the ramp with a Jeep? About half way down, it became apparent the trailer weighed a lot more than the Jeep. They wound up at the bottom of the ramp with the trailer jammed against the back of the Jeep, with the trailer tongue straight up, and the back of the Jeep about four feet off the deck.

crate

I was on the DuBuque twice in 85, the Peoria and the Duluth in 87 before I re-upped and came back to the land of the big PX! In 3rd Recon, we were always in the bush and always going somewhere...I loved it!!

USS Boxer 1 year of my life. 2 six month deployments , not that bad. 30 % of the crew were females.

My buddy Dave Kittsmiller now deceased served on the USS Boxer in 1962 (the old Boxer)CV 21 light carrier..
    c ball

For You Marines making a sticky

Rode some kind of flat bottom boat from DaNang to Subic Bay. Two days of total sea sickness. Every Marine on the boat was sick. Left Subic on the Valley Forge LPH-8 headed back to Nam. It rode great and the food was good too. Was on and off the Forge for about 7 months.

MED CRUISE IN 1969 Ship USS York County LST Not much fun at times, Six Monthes On her.Semper Fi

USS Nashiville Med float '95 Six months
    USS Ponsa ? Med float '93 six months
    USS Kercsage ?? Haiti 1 month

Cramped, crowded conditions. Never any hot water and you always run out of milk.

You really get to know your squad and how and why they joined the Corps.

Best part. 10 green 10 blue to flight deck MAIL CALL!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rowdy1948
    MED CRUISE IN 1969 Ship USS York County LST Not much fun at times, Six Monthes On her.Semper Fi
    Who did you **** off to have to spend 6 months aboard an LST?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    6 MO on an LST cork? Wow. Talk 'bout pukin.
    Let me talk about Christmas, on the Tripoli, LPH. We were 30 days in circles cause of the India-Pakistan war, 1971. Christmas was cancelled so we could Unrep with the Kansas City. We were out of everything. Fuel being pumped over Boswans lines, and us and the Swabbies stowing supplies all day. [Got to work hard with a few good swabbies].
    Some of us on deck saw a chopper coming in. A CH53 I think. Was about 1000 yds off carrying 3 blue bags on cable, When the cable snapped. Chopper was OK, But those blue bags were mail. Our christmas mail. Addressed to Davie Jones.
    Christmas was resumed the 26th. No more powdered everything, plus showers. Best non-Christmas I ever had.

Sgt i still have nightmares about that voiage across the Med.LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by OLE SARG
    USS Barrett in 1963 enroute to Okinawa, Japan, for 30 days. AND we went through a typhoon!!!!!! Talk about a mix-master!!!!! We had some Marines so seasick they couldn't drink water!!

SEMPER FI,
    i hope i did this right i was on the barrett twice once feb 62 going to oki, again march or april 63 coming back. did you notice the little brass plaque next to the pogy bait window. it stated that the ship was sunk in the med. in 1944. semper fi roger

Lets see

1981 aboard USS Okinawa 6 mth WESPAC.
    1982-1983 aboard USS Belleau Wood 6 mth WESPAC.
    1984 aboard USS Pelileu or Tarawa 6 mth WESPAC.
    1985-1986 aboard USS Pelileu or Tarawa 6 mth WESPAC.
    1987 aboard USS Belleau Wood 6 mth WESPAC.
    and then a few weeks in the Med, Can't recall the ship.

Served with HMM-262 in Hawaii and then VMA-331 out of Cherry Pt.

Quote Originally Posted by SlingerDun
    Coral Sea, Belleau Wood, Kilauea...you can have em all i'm a land hand and no i did not enlist in or ask to join the freaking Navy!

--->dave
    What! Going to sea is a Marine Corps perk! Didn't your recruiter tell you that the Marines were part of the department of the Navy, the men's department.

Thread Information