Sound Off!!! - Page 11
Create Post
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Sound Off!!!

USS Whidbey Island '05-Hurricane Katrina Recovery
    USS Iwo Jima '06-24th MEU

Noticed in the Poolees only thread "Prayers Needed" that there is going to be an influx of Sea Lawyers coming into Recruit Training in the near future. These Sea Lawyers must have all attended law school and have flunked out, as all seem to know the law from start to finish. I posted this here as we cannot post in the poolee hall.

Did 2 weeks on the USS ESSEX, 06
    1 month on the USS Fort McHenry, 05
    and 4 months on the USS Harpers Ferry, 06
    You gotta love being on the MEU! MSSG 31 out of Okinawa, Japan.

I was aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln (MardetCvn-72)It was not all that bad. I had agreat time aboard that ship!

Our Mardet has had a Facebook page for a while now.Look up Mardet-CVN-72 or MarDet USS Abraham Lincoln.Pretty knarly group of Leathernecks if you ask me!

Credits
    Savings
    I was on LSD 29 USS PLYMOUTH ROCK UNITAS XXII 1981 six glorious months...lol..got my shell back!!!!..Ports allover south am...if you where there pm me!!! looking for marines in my unit kilo3/6 2mardiv

26th MEU. USS Harlan County LST 1196. Six month med. cruise in 1994. Part of Operation Restore Hope, Somila. Got my Shell-back.

USS Nasau LHA out of Norfolk VA, Also the USS Hermatige, the Nassau was Lovely had a great time on there, the Hermatige was kind of shakey lets say it wasnt as nice as the Nassau, "Swim Call" in the middle of the Carribean was a BEAST!!! loved it. did a massive Amphibious Landing on the beaches of Guantanamo Bay Cuba SWEET!!

When our daughter was born, we named her Myles, after my beloved late father, despite family warning that the name was too masculine .Years later, when I felt she was old enough to understand, I explained to Myles, Your name is very special. I named you after my own father because I loved him very much. I know he would be proud of you.Myles thought carefully about this and then said, I know all that, Mom. But I don't understand why my grandfather had a girl's name.
    coach handbags
    Office 2007
    office 2010

Did some time on the Nassau, Tortuga, Wasp and Austin. Shellbacked on the Austin on the 24th MEU. Good times.

Was on the USS Belleow Wood for about a month in '94. Went from Oki to Thailand for Operation Cobra Gold. Remember not bringing enough Copenhagen, running out and the sailors had snatched it all up, they knew the game. After a week on ship it was going for $10 a can!

Was late getting back on the boat from liberty in Pattaya Beach, missed the last boat at midnite, fortunately there were a couple sgts and an officer late also or we would have been worse off. Ended up on "garbage duty" in the middle of the night. They would wake us up at 2am to throw garbage off the side of the ship. Never seen so much trash generated in one day. Like 40' wide, 4' tall, and the length of the ramp from the lower deck to the hanger deck long. We would form a line with the last guy standing on a ledge on the outside of the ship tied off with a rope, and just toss it overboard. Sometimes during the day when you were allowed on the flight deck you would pass a line of garbage from another ship that seemed like it was a mile long. My dad who was in the navy in the 60s said they used to shoot it for target practice.

I remember hanging upside by my shoulders with my head sticking out under the ship in the anchor room watching dolphins race the bow of the ship...

I remember we took some Thai Marines onboard for a while...little guys that showered 2 to a stall...had a great time trading t-shirts etc with them. Still have 'em. Pretty cool showing my kids a camo t-shirt with Thai writing on it!

Our berthing area was the only one without a/c...I remember 10 laps of the flight deck was one mile...remember playing football in the hanger deck. Lots of weapons cleaning and classes... loved general quarters.

Had a scare on our way to Thailand. Got word that there was some unrest in Cambodia and we were going to do a NEO op to evac US citizens. They issued ammo etc, but 8 hours before we were supposed to head out they called it off.

They woke Weapons Co up one night to setup 50 cals on the flight deck and sink a Thai fishing boat. Seems one of our nuclear subs snagged one of its fishing nets and was taking small arms fire from the fishing boat. Weapons Co lit 'em up and I think they might have luanched a Cobra.

Good times...great training in Thailand...the people thought it was like a parade having Marines patrol through their town. Would give us fruit and whiskey, it was great. Of course the libo rocked, words cannot describe it. Clubs with a 20:1 ratio of women to men...I could go on and on

Thread Information