Sound Off!!! - Page 9
Create Post
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: Sound Off!!!

USS Newport News (CA-148) XO MARDET, USS Roosevelt (CVA-42), FLIGHT OPS, USS York County (LST-1175) AMPHIB OPS, USS Observation Island (EAG-158) LEGAL SERVICES. Sea duty was the best experience I ever had in my 20s with my clothes on!

Credits
    Savings
    I don't know about you sir, but time on ship only meant to me I was going to have fun in a foriegn country without my clothes on!!

At least two "obstacles" at the time..

Quote Originally Posted by TJR1070 View Post
    I don't know about you sir, but time on ship only meant to me I was going to have fun in a foriegn country without my clothes on!!
    Two of the "obstacles" to foreign fun (with no clothes on) at that time were:

1. I was married with a family.

2. My white cover and barracks ones had a quatrefoil on them.

Credits
    Savings
    I wouldn't be able to partake anymore either but it was good to be young, a Marine and in another country!! I guess now I would have to do the tourist/culture thing.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

I was on the USS Newport LST-1179 for this operation

Quote Originally Posted by tracs2142 View Post
    USS Ponce, LPD-15, 1980 for Anorak Express to Norway. We took almost 2 weeks crossing the Atlantic in winter..oh what fun. We loaded stores/ammo at Norfolk expecting we were going to Iran, rather than war games. Of course, Jimmy Carter would never allow it.

When I stood well-deck watch, you could look out the upper half of the rear opening of the ship. One moment was stars, next black ocean. As bad as it was, I felt sorry for the poor guys on the LST!

Other than cramped quarters, it was a good time mostly. Did not like being locked in quarters during drills.
    I was on the USS Newport fot this operation, You're right, Cold, rough seas, but I had a blast. I wouldn't trade it for anything. I've attached a couple picture. One is the USS Ponce from the stern. I was on the landing craft as we were entering through her stern gate. The others were taken about a second apart. Notice the roll of the ship. Sea and Sky. This was taken on the way to Plymouth England on the way back from Norway.

Attached Images Attached Images

Credits
    Savings
    Images

USS Newport LST-1179 on Anorak Express

Here's a few pics from the Newport and of Norway. Loading Trucks on, a view out the open stern ramp from the tank deck (the ramp got bent and we had to secure it to a bulldozer on the way to Portsmouth Eng. for repairs), loading fuel pods in Norway, me and my M-54 5ton (I had 2 500 gal pods of JP5 and one of AVgas, I slept one night in the cab and had a parachute flare come down in the back and didn't know it, I **** myself in the morning when I found it laying between two of the pods), Never give Engineers white camo.

Attached Images Attached Images

USS Tarawa 1983

Here a few pics of the Tarawa I scanned outa my cruise book from 1/7's deployment to Okinawa in 1983.

Here a few pics of the Tarawa I scanned outa my cruise book from 1/7's deployment to Okinawa in 1983
    oops, Moved the pics and broke the link.

Credits
    Savings
    Nice pics of the "Eagle of the Sea". I was on the Tarawa for the return trip from the Gulf War and had a stop over at Bangladesh for relief efforts. Of course we had a different name for the ship at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by TJR1070 View Post
    Nice pics of the "Eagle of the Sea". I was on the Tarawa for the return trip from the Gulf War and had a stop over at Bangladesh for relief efforts. Of course we had a different name for the ship at that time.
    LMAO, I know the answer to this! I always wondered which one was Captain Steubing.

I was on the USS Whidbey Island LSD-41 back in 2006.

Within the 1st week, 2 urinals wouldn't stop leaking and they couldn't fix them, so a Navy guy put trash bags over them and put a sign up that said "DO NOT F*KING **** HERE".

If I get my old lap top up and running, i'll be sure to post some pics of that crappy ship.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    USS Coronado, joint Nato Op 1978.

I was aboard the Frederick. Which I believe has been decomissioned.
    That was in 88 or 89.
    We floated around for a couple of weeks and I stayed sick
    as hell the whole time. Crackers and water.
    A-hole to bellybutton racks and that tub wallowed like
    a fat sow in a mud hole the whole time.
    Never been so glad to get the hell off a rust bucket in my life!
    Back to something I understood.

Smitty.

Hey Edd, remember how that bucket quivered, when her screws came out of the water ?That sucker 'd roll in a bathtub. She split her seams between Korea and Japan, in a storm. Had to lay over in Japan to get welded, so she could take us home.Fun' wasn't it ?

Amen to that dave.

Thread Information