Length of contract question
Create Post

Length of contract question

Hi
    I was just wondering if someone could clear up when the 4 year commision for an officer would begin, is it after boot camp, his mos school, officer training or when he has completed all his training?

My guess would be the date he enters OCS. But, I didn't even know officers signed 4 yr. contracts, though, so I'm probably wrong.

I thought officers had a 6 year obligation.

Regardless, officers go to OCS, not boot camp. And, it would start the day OCS started. From the day a candidate starts OCS until he/she is done with MOS school could be years. You have OCS, TBS, and then an MOS school. For someone like a future F-18 pilot, that would be a lot of time without getting credit for it.

yeah i was kinda wondering the same thing myself. it could be tricky since one can go to OCS between school years, and not technically be a Marine or a commissioned officer yet since one doesn't get a commission till one has a degree. i doubt the marine corps would give you credit for time in service while you are chillin as a senior in college.

But I do believe they would give you credit for the days that you were at OCS.

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanMullet
    yeah i was kinda wondering the same thing myself. it could be tricky since one can go to OCS between school years, and not technically be a Marine or a commissioned officer yet since one doesn't get a commission till one has a degree. i doubt the marine corps would give you credit for time in service while you are chillin as a senior in college.
    They do in MECEP.

MECEP is a different world. If I had it to do over again, I may have gone that route. Getting paid to go to school wouldn't be a bad gig.

I think almost all officer contracts have some sort of language that reads similar to this for a law contract, "I consent to serve on extended active duty for a minimum of (X months (42-months for lawyers)) from the date assigned to extended active duty as a commissioned officer and understand that a request for release from active duty prior to completion of this period will normally be rejected."

Extended active duty is a period of active duty more than 30 days. You don't receive your commission until after OCS. Thus, the clock starts ticking when you hit the deck at TBS.

Lt C

Thread Information