Ribbon's out of BootCamp - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Native Warrior View Post
    There are many of us salts that are wearing ...

Salts?

Day Yam, iffen 1980 is salty, WTF is 1965?

you my

brother are even more salty, more like bottom of the sea salty

you my brother are more salty than I, more like bottom of the sea salty

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Native Warrior View Post
    you my brother are more salty than I, more like bottom of the sea salty
    ... did I just get dissed?

Naw, a Brother wouldn't do that!

Anyhoo, I always thought the China Marines were the saltiest I ever knew.

in 1965 when we graduated from boot camp we didn't get any ribbons fire watch or anything. I got my first ribbons when I left Vietnam but I had to go to the px on Okinawa and buy them myself. I was never issued any ribbons for service in Vietnam. What I don't understand is no military personnel wear their uniforms off base anymore why do they care about ribbons? When I went to Los Angeles airport to pick up my grandson when he pc'ed in from Korea I was their for hours and I did not see one uniform from any service branch. I was told they are told to not wear their uniforms while traveling why?

Quote Originally Posted by Merc6432 View Post
    ALL service members should receive the NDS Ribbon straight out of boot in my opinion because even though you are still in training, that training could always be disrupted to go fight a war somewhere. In addition to that we were all defending our country. Isn't Keeping the peace an honorable defense to war?

To top it off at the very least, those who were in areas of conflict should receive the NDS. A ribbon should not be given the criteria of dates only but should be given in honors for the purpose of it's named presentation.

this makes no sense.... a basically trained Marine is NOT ready for war, they are ready for being a Marine.... once you finish your MOS school you can goto war.

Where did you get this idea that you can goto war when you can't even contribute.... what Sgt? what does that hand signal mean? huh?! get dow....

yeah, you're dead.... what a waste if you ask me.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I was looking at mt Boot Camp book today and I noticed that all reserve recruits wore only the shooting badge while the rest of us wore the NDSR and the shooting badge (during final inspection)! LT Isrowie explained it to me that nowadays they are authorized the NDSM for all recruits, as the training is considered active duty, even if it is for training and school and such.

Now the GWOT I believe is issued after you report to your first fleet unit and you have been there for 30 days.

That's the way I understand it anyway.

That's my 2 cents,

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by iamcloudlander View Post
    in 1965 when we graduated from boot camp we didn't get any ribbons fire watch or anything. I got my first ribbons when I left Vietnam but I had to go to the px on Okinawa and buy them myself. I was never issued any ribbons for service in Vietnam. What I don't understand is no military personnel wear their uniforms off base anymore why do they care about ribbons? When I went to Los Angeles airport to pick up my grandson when he pc'ed in from Korea I was their for hours and I did not see one uniform from any service branch. I was told they are told to not wear their uniforms while traveling why?

because people beat up military guys while out on libo... if you are alone, chances are some military haters from the local town who's entire economy is supported by the military, beat them up a lot... so the USMC being the last service to change the rule decided to go with the flow.

now they also say it's a terrorism awareness thing... a terrorist may trigger something, or avoid you if in uniform... if you aren't you might be able to notice him and stomp his brains out.

I served from Sept. 7 1961 -july 15 1965 including a admittedly short stint in viet nam april - july 65 as we had been in the far east since july 64 and never received any ribbon of any kind other than a good conduct ribbon.I understand I am entitled to several but don't know how to find out which ones or how to go about receiving them.Any ideas?Like to have them for my kids and grandkids. T.Luehrs

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Cool I Got Their Medals Swinging

YEA WELL THOSE PUNKS WERE PULLING THAT CHIT 2 WHEN I EVOLVED BACK.I WORE MY UNIFORM"ALONE"INTO BARS ON PURPOSE WHEN I HEALED GOOD ENOUGH.BUT I SENT IN MY FRIENDS THAT I GREW UP WITH IN TEAMS 0F 2 TOO 5 MEN AT A TIME WEARING CIVIES ALWAYS AT LEAST 18 OF US TOO AS MANY AS 35.MY HILLBILLY BROTHERS PUT MANY A PUNK@ COMMIE REDNECKS IN THE HOSPITAL.I LOVED THROWING THE 1ST.PUNCH!!!

Thread Information