Drill Instructor guilty of abusing recruits - Page 2
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Unfuc*ingbelivable. Complet BullS*it. Semper Fu*cking Fi.

Living in New York City I see (everyday)the effects of our liberal politicians at work. I pray to God that they DO NOT try to interfere with the way the Marine Corps trains it's recruits do to a little momma's boy who didn't like what was going on in boot camp. What the hell was he thinking when he joined the Corps ? I don't want to get into boot camp war stories but our DI"s would make us drink and until empty from our (full)canteens and than PT us until we puked. Whats the big deal ? Furthermore, I got my ass kicked plenty of times. I feel to this day that some how it made me a better person. If I could locate my DI's today I would thank them for the type of training they gave me in boot camp. Big Jim am with you brother.

that's why we can't win

i went through boot camp in 1961--i was beaten, cursed at, degraded, you name it, and those depraved D I"s did it all--and i wish i could meet each an every one of those jerks look them in the eye and personally thank them for making me a man--they did it, (the beating's etc ) i deserved it, and i am better off because of them today--to those men i say semper fi, god bless you and your families--if there were more men like them, and less like are politicians, we would probably win a few wars--to all those DI"s out on the grinder, take it to them.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Despite Mothers of America and Barbara Streisand types, today's Marines are still doing a tremendous job up to each challenge we ask of them.

Today's Marines are no less because their Drill Instructors did not pummel them.

Sgt. Glass was given specific orders that he was found guilty of violating. We all know that the UCMJ is very inflexible and unforgiving.

But the UCMJ is inflexible and unforgiving for everyone with a DOD ID Card.

really?

Not to be supportive of these whiny sniveling little recruit f***ups but let's face it, these DI's are no saints. Yes, they are supposed to be tough but the DIs have orders to follow as well. How can a DI instruct a recruit to follow orders if he/she does not follow their own orders. Yes the recruits are whiny but there were other alternatives or avenues of approach that the DIs perhaps could have taken without violating orders and the Military Personnel who oversaw this hearing perhaps saw the same thing I am seeing.

A few indy 500's or a bit of Sand Flea search and rescue in the pit might have been a sufficient alternative to beating someone in the head with a flashlight or tent pole. It is more productive and the recruit only gets stronger through his/her punishment. Plus if you include the whole platoon in the punishment then every recruit will start looking after each other and these kinds of problems would be prevented. The recruits will begin to take on a new perspective of the meaning leave no one behind.

greensideout:
    A man, in this case a Marine, is to be judged by his peers. Likely, he was not!!!
    Definately out of line!

UCMJ
    817. ART. 17(b)
    In all cases, departmental review after that by the officer with authority to convene a general court-martial for the command which held the trial, where that review is required under this chapter, shall be carried out by the department that includes the armed force of which the accused is a member.

Enough said I am sure.

Also understand that this article is media based who looks at the worst of the worst. If Sgt. gets 11 years for this then he did more than what is being said here. If he gets discharged, unless this Sgt. is a reoccuring trouble maker, would be a little accessive here. I would re-assign him out of DI school back to infantry where he can take his anger out on a few Al-Queda pukes. I doubt the Corps would want to get rid of an excellent killing machine which costs fortunes to train over a few bumps and bruises on a whiny recruit. And then Boot the Recruit before he graduates.

Semper Fi Devil Dogs!

What outlaw3179 said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They keep this Bull**** up and we will lose our wonderful recruit training - I went through Bootcamp in July 1961, and just like Old Marine, I got my fair share of THUMPS and I probably deserved every one I got!!!!!! You seem to learn better with a DI stuck in your ear and screaming at the top of his lungs. I know it worked with me!!!!!!!!!!!

SEMPER FI,

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Too bad for the puke who didn't get his ribs kicked in. Making a Marine is like a Blacksmith making a weapon. Life is hard.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    The Corps took Fallujah and secured Al Anbar without the likes of Sgt Glass beating recruits. Buttom line he was given an order and he did not follow it.

Calling those others p*ssies for not getting beaten is cheapening their Honor Courage and Commitment.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Marine gets reduced sentence in recruit abuses

Drill instructor charged with maltreatment of 23; none seriously injured

Nov. 15, 2007 SAN DIEGO - A military jury on Thursday sentenced a Marine drill instructor to six months in the brig and gave him a bad-conduct discharge for abusing 23 recruits.

The instructor, Sgt. Jerrod M. Glass, also received a reduction in rank to private and pay forfeiture. He had faced a maximum sentence of 10 years of confinement, dishonorable discharge, reduction in rank, and forfeiture of pay and benefits.

Former colleagues lined up to hug Glass and shake his hand after the verdict was read. Glass, 25, hugged his parents.

Earlier, the prosecutors recommended he spend two years in the brig and receive a bad-conduct discharge.

"You need to send the message this is not tolerated," Marine Capt. Brent Sticker told jurors

The instructor's attorney had asked jurors to take into account Glass's previous, exemplary record and sentence him to 60 days of restricted duty and reduction to a rank of their choice.

"There's ways to deal with Sgt. Glass without throwing him out," Capt. Greg Jensen said.

"This wasn't meaningless, senseless violence," Jensen said of the alleged abuse. "It was done with the intent to assist (recruits)."

On Wednesday, Glass was found guilty of eight counts of cruelty and maltreatment, destruction of personal property, assault and violating orders on how to properly treat recruits.

He was relieved of drill instructor duty at the Marine Corps Recruit Depot in February.

Parents stand by his side
    Glass' mother, Barbara Glass, said, "I still believe he did not do anything he was not instructed to do ... by his superiors. If it's denied, I know it's a bald-faced lie by the Marine Corps."

Glass' father, Jerry Glass, tearfully criticized the Marines' handling of the case.

"I thought the Marine Corps stood for, 'Leave no man behind,'" he told reporters. "I think they had their head in the sand or they are not being honest with the public."

Glass was accused of ordering one recruit to jump headfirst into a trash can and then pushing him farther into the container. He is also accused of striking recruits with a tent pole and a heavy flashlight. None of the recruits was seriously injured.

Glass was one of three drill instructors charged with abusing recruits. Sgt. Robert C. Hankins and Sgt. Brian M. Wendel are facing special courts-martial on separate charges. A fourth instructor, Sgt. Joseph Villagomez, received administrative punishment.

About 17,000 recruits graduate each year from the depot. It is one of two Marine training depots nationwide; the other is in Parris Island, S.C.

"They said Glass and another drill instructor would line recruits up after meals and force them to down liters of water from their canteens in a ritual they referred to as "waterbowling.""

that is abuse? we did that every night before we hit the rack. it was to make sure we stayed hydrated. so what?

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    So what? Sgt Glass had predefined conditions to fulfill his orders of, "Train Your Platoon."

Hundreds of other Drill Instructor did not beat their Recruits, and the Recruits graduated and went on to win Iraq.

It takes generations upon generations to change the UCMJ. It really wasn't that long ago where we flogged malcontents.

hey, i am all against physical abuse, of any kind, but making people drink water is abuse? thats all I am saying.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Flogging, a nine tail whip of heavy leather tipped by brass studs. "OUCH, SHIITE, ! THAT HURTS LIKE HELL!"

But back in the day that was the daily due if you stepped out of line.

Marines accomplished the job in both 1775 and 2007!

The reason Sgt Glass was punished and several other DI's have been punished recently is because of one simple concept:

Marines are taught to follow lawful orders. When a Marine refuses to follow a lawful order, he is punished.

Now, for all the self-righteousness in here, please tell me what was UNLAWFUL about the Recruit Training ORDERS that these DIs were duty-bound to uphold. I don't care whether you LIKE them or not.

Here's the second truism of the Corps:

When a Marine shows himself incapable of handling the responsibility he currently has, it is taken away and he is put on a shorter "leash" (given less responsibility).

Many years ago, DIs had far more leeway in how they trained recruits, this is true. But there were abuses of the system... this cannot be argued. It happened. As a culture, it happened. So, the rules were changed to become tighter. Most Drill Instructors buckled down and did their job admirably. But some still bucked the system and continued in their own methods. So the rules have become even tighter. Fast forward this process many iterations to today.

So that brings me to the third truism:

The rules that Marines have today are a direct reflection of the actions and inactions that have transpired in former years.

Rules don't happen on their own. And contrary to what you want to believe, civilians DON'T set our rules. Marines do. If you want to blame someone, look back and remember the knuckleheads who couldn't follow the simple rules.

Sergeant Glass was prosecuted for disobeying a lawful order. That lawful order was put in place because of the misconduct of Marines that came before him. What you believe about boot camp has no bearing here. He transgressed his duties as an NCO, as a Marine, as a leader of Marines... How can the Corps expect him to ever be the example again?

You all know how important is it that Marines do what is right. THAT is our foundation. Not some random practices in boot camp. And THAT is why, whether a recruit is "thumped" or not, we have consistently produced high quality Marines over the years.

Discipline is derived from holding ourselves to a standard. That standard has nothing to do with physical interactions between DI and Recruit. It has everything to do with the moral and ethical character that is developed in the recruits via the complete example of personal and professional conduct of the DI.

Just Curious, Isrowei, but why are you still a 1st LT, after ten years in, especially ig you went to the Naval academy? not accusing you of anything, just curious, I thought most people made captain in 6 years. I thought, I could be wrong ( probably am)

Thread Information