Swim Qual
Create Post

Thread: Swim Qual

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Swim Qual

Hello,

I am enlisting soon into the DEP under the UZ contract but I would like to get some of my questions answered first. I would like to know what you have to do to recieve a 1st Class Swim Qual. Does this mean you just have to be comfortable in the water? and/or you have to swim a 500m? or what?

Also, for the IST and PFT;
    When do you take the IST? at MEPs?
    When you are doing your pull-ups, do your arms have to totally lock when your fully down? or can there be a slight bend?

Thank you, and Semper Fi.

Just to let you know, you really shouldn't be saying Semper Fi. You havn't earned the right to say it. and others will tell you this. For S1 i really dont know the Qual numbers. And at meps there is no IST or PFT. You and your recruiter will do an IST before you leave. And yes. Lock-out those elbows!

Lol...i was about to tell him the same thing about Semper Fi. Congrats on the UZ contract. Here is the deal you take the IST right before you ship to boot camp. Ive heard it can be administered at MEPS right before you leave, but the IST that counts wont happen until you ship. As for the swim qualification do you have previous experience competition swimming. If you dont get some join a swim team or find someone that is a competitive swimmer and get them to teach you everything. The boot camp swim qual is a piece of cake. Its nothing...dont worry about it. Prepare for your recon indoc and you will qualify first class in boot. Also with the UZ contract you have to shoot expert at the rifle range. Dont forget about that.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Couldn't tell you what the regs are now but, when I went through, all you had to do was be able to float for 5 minutes to qualify for 2nd class or something like that. We only spent one day in water.

For swim qual, you probably won't get up to a 1st class in boot camp. During swim week, they stop testing you after you get a 2nd class. You'll get your 1st class test probably in the fleet.

1st class is swimming long distances without getting tired and being able to rescue someone while wearing cammies, holding a rifle, wearing a helmet, and having a pack on. I think you'll also be wearing a flak jacket at some point. It's not a cake walk.

You take your IST on the friday of your first week there when you pick up with a training company.

At San Diego, they weren't too strict on pull-ups. Our drill instructors didn't care if you had a slight bend, as long as your arms was extended more than let's say 90 degrees. Locking out is your best bet though.

If you are going for UZ, be sure to get a 1st class PFT score.

You will not get a chance in bootcamp to receive swim qual 1. I got level 2 and was one of 11 people in a company of over 450 to do so. It is grueling and technique is everything. They will pull you out of the water and not let you continue for a million different reasons.

As for pullups...LEARN NOW...fully locked arms, no kipping...I would have had 20 on the final PFT, but on my last two I kipped a little. I know kids who lost 6-8 pullups for not fully locking out their arms...that means no bend at all

Your IST will happen at bootcamp on the first Saturday/Sunday after you arrive. You will be tired, you will not do as well as you did at home. Be prepared. We lost at least 10 to PCP just for the IST which appalled me. Make sure...especially with a UZ contract...that you are ready physically for it. However, like they say and you will not understand until you get there its only 10% physical and 90% mental...

And there you go folks, almost the exact same responses from both MCRDs. Must be right!

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thank you everyone!

What about a Level 2?

Woody, the other night in the chat you said you swim 25 yards, with 2 packs, and a person...

Is that it or is that just the hard part?

I was on the swim team in high school, and we would regularly swim dragging people behind us, holding them and tread water for EXTREMELY long period of time....Would any of this help?

NOTHING is hard at bootcamp if you can cut your way through the bull**** and the mind**** and you have the ultimate of determination. Don't worry so much about it. It's going to be one training day out of 70 and you will do whatever they tell you to do when they tell you to do it. If you do it correctly you will pass.

You have to understand too that they can pull you out of the water just because they don't like you, or because you looked the wrong way or anything. You really have to get lucky...the less people they have to pass the less time they have to be at work. It sounds bad but its true.

Go find a community center or a pool that offers lifeguard training and take it. I was a long distance freestyler when I went to bootcamp and it didn't do much for me. Water polo and lifeguarding would be a lot more applicable. Swim qual 2 consists of diving off of a tower in full kit with a weapon and a pack and swimming, carrying same kit and weapon while dragging a buddy wearing same, and demonstration of treading and various survival swimming techniques. As for swim qual 1, google drownproofing and you'll get an idea. Depending on the mood of the staff at the pool, it can be tough or it can be murderous. Either way, you won't test for it while on the depot.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Cool You Drown Proffed??????????????????????????????

DURING MY 'ERA,'NAM IT WAS CALLED "DROWN PROFFING";THEY ACTUALLY HAD CHUNKS OF ICE IN THE H2O.THE POOL WAS NOT HEATED AND THIS WAS JAN.68,WE SWAM WITH A SKELATON OF A M-14 MADE OUTTA ALUMIUNUM.TIED OUR HAND'S TOGETHER AND THEN OUR FEET TOGETHER.HAD TO RELAX AND BOB ALL DAY,WITH THE INSTRUCTER PULLING YOU UNDER TOO SEE HOW YOU WOULD REACT??? THE H2O WAS ICE COLD.S/F-GUNG-HO-ALL THE WAY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PFCJon
    Go find a community center or a pool that offers lifeguard training and take it. I was a long distance freestyler when I went to bootcamp and it didn't do much for me. Water polo and lifeguarding would be a lot more applicable. Swim qual 2 consists of diving off of a tower in full kit with a weapon and a pack and swimming, carrying same kit and weapon while dragging a buddy wearing same, and demonstration of treading and various survival swimming techniques. As for swim qual 1, google drownproofing and you'll get an idea. Depending on the mood of the staff at the pool, it can be tough or it can be murderous. Either way, you won't test for it while on the depot.
    That makes me feel a little better, I'm a lifeguard and just finished water polo season.

Thread Information