Trivia Question
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trivia Question

Trivia Question

Alright inspired my another thread i wanted to see how well everyone knew their custom and courtesies.

So the question is: What is the proper greeting when addressing an officer with the rank of O-7 and above?

Well poolee's....how do address them, right after you pee yourself?

Marine Friend Free Member 2044 1978's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I would guess that the terms of address are "General."

I was in an elevator when a number of senior officers entered. We had the Commandant visiting that day and I was only a Corporal. After quickly looking at all the brass, I had one General tell me to relax as the Commandant was not with them. All I could say was, Thank you Sir!

well you're right you replace sir with general.

Quote Originally Posted by SGTBrentG
    Well poolee's....how do address them, right after you pee yourself?

Your Majesty???!

General?

I remember seeing a commandent once in the backroom at MEPS when we were typing up my MEPS waiver -- I'm not even a Marine and I almost ****ed my pants .. he was actually pretty cool though.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    pretend to have lost my voice but salute for sure

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Honestly I've been looking around for a while and can't find any difference minus the sir to General transition. I asked my friend in the Airforce and she didn't know there was a difference... so much for her answering "all my questions about the military"

A guy who tended bar and owned the beer joint where i used to wash the pain out of my back was a retired Army General. I dont know how many stars he wore but i heard people say 'good afternoon or good evening General'. I called him Ed.

--->Dave

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Going from memory on what I was taught. Generals are "Sir" unless you are senior enlisted or a Field grade officer. Senior Marines may address a general as "General" but at no time is it in-appropriate to address them as sir. Only the knob slobbers try to test that theory out

Quote Originally Posted by AMW
    Honestly I've been looking around for a while and can't find any difference minus the sir to General transition. I asked my friend in the Airforce and she didn't know there was a difference... so much for her answering "all my questions about the military"
    well one thing they will teach you about tradition and basically customs and courtesies is a HUGE thing. Especially since and really if you are on quantico but Marines take pride in their salutes. It will make you want to learn all you can. But you can find and read the custom and courtesies manual and it will give ya a lot of information.

I know from experience that General Krulak didn't mind being called sir- or even Marine- but that is a story for a different time.

I remember when I was stationed at Pendleton that on a night out having a few drinks with a fellow Marine buddy, that a BrigGen was touring with the local police and happened to come into the bar while we were there. He was pretty cool and said don't drink and drive. We were like "No sir, we took the bus".

Salute when 30 steps away, hold it until the officer has acknoledged you, Good_______ sir. When your passing an officer in the same direction dont you say "by your leave sir"??

Thread Information