How do you become a Scribe or Squad Leader?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

How do you become a Scribe or Squad Leader?

I really really want to be my platoon Honor Man when I graduate PI. I've heard these responsibilities (Scribe/Squad Leader) help out towards becoming the Honor Man. My question is how do they pick who does each job? Also I got a 90 AFQT and my last IST I ran a 10:34 mile and a half , did 11 pull ups, and 100+ crunches. Does any of this effect my chances? I ship out Nov. 12.

Shoot, if you want to be guaranteed as guide, learn to march. Learn how to drill. Pop those sticks. And seriously, be a complete dick lol. Act like a mini-di. DI's love to see recruits "take charge".

If you are guide by 3rd phase, you will be honor man.

yes. it affects your chance. you'll have to do a whole hell of alot better than those numbers to be honor man
    and no, you DON'T have to be a complete dick to be guide, or a mini-DI. thats complete B.S. our guide was one of the nicest, most helpful guys I ever knew in the Marines.
    you'll need a 300 pft, and to shoot expert on the range. and to score very high on all your written exams. at least, thats how it used to be.

HEY Achped looks like someone was reading the thread about how to get out of firewatch huh?

Quote Originally Posted by SAD
    I really really want to be my platoon Honor Man when I graduate PI.
    A lot of people want a lot of things but few will make the sacrifices to get them. What I want to know is why do you want to be the platoon honor man? To be a leader or to have the kudos? Sounds to me like you want the kudos. It's a good goal to shoot for don't get me wrong, but if you go there and stand out physically, and in all the other area's those fancy titles and billets will come. Set your goal to be the best Marine on the Island because that's the peak and that's a lofty but attainable goal.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I have never heard of a scribe making Honor Man. And I was a scribe.

Make meritorious PFC, yes, but Honor Man?

Not to say it never happens, but I never heard of it. If you weren't the guide or a squad leader, fuggetaboutit.

Back when I went through there were few contract PFCs (had to be prior service, period) and only a maximum of 10% of the platoon could make meritorious PFC. Not all platoons promoted their full quota (most did).

My platoon was allowed to vote for the Honor Man. The landslide winner was the guide. He didn't get it. One of the squad leaders did. No democracy in the Corps.

HardJedi, my heavy let me sit on the company street while the platoon was pitted because I was stabbing recruits with the guidon to get out of the house. (Our kill hat told me to) ROFL. I retract what I said, you don't "HAVE" to be mean, in fact, depending on your style, it may be better to be a nice/helpful guide.

But that wasn't the way it was in my platoon.

Quote Originally Posted by killerinstinct
    HEY Achped looks like someone was reading the thread about how to get out of firewatch huh?
    What can I say?

Our Senior Drill Instructor asked who had the highest ASVAB scores and who had college experience. One of the recruits in our platoon had a 91 and had a degree in college. He instantly became the head scribe. The company scribe and the other two were simple volunteers, nothing special.

As for becoming a squad leader, I think it's different for every drill instructor. Our drill instructor just asked the recruits on forming day and made them squad leader. Eventually, more competent recruits would replace them.

Credits
    Savings
    I remember our senior appointing a recruit who had jrotc experience as guide. He lasted till about mid way through second phase and got replaced.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    To answer why I want to become the platoon Honor Man it is because I want to be the best I can be and I thought that was the result. I just want to shoot for the best and if I'm not mistaken the Honor Man is the best in the platoon. Also, I come from a family of Marines and I do want a little bit of bragging rights within the family. My family will not let me forget that they did better than me in recruit training, lol. Thank you for all the great answers and I'm sorry if I came off as wanting this just for the attention. I just want to be the best, thats why I joined the Marine Corps.

Deep down inside, you probably just want the free dress blues.

Just kidding.

If you don't get to be the guide at first, catch the guide at his worst time and try to get him replaced by you.

I think the Dress Blues are becoming standard issue anyway, which is why our CRA will be increasing next year. EVERY Marine will be expected ot have a set.

Interesting replies all.

I was the Guide, Platoon Honor Man and Company Honor Man.

I got picked cause I was the oldest, and most mature, recruit in the platoon. I didn't want it, but once I got it I did the best I possibly could because I don't do anything half-ass.

First thing I did was ask the Senior what he expected from his guide and I tried to do just that.

I was a mentor, advisor, and example to my fellow recruits. I also tried to be a manager in that I met with my Squad Leaders every night after lights to find out what was going on with their recruits and pass on word from the SDI. And when I had to, I enforced discipline. I wasn't a dick but I was stern when I dealt with the knuckleheads. In fact, they all introduced me to their parents at graduation as the guy that got them thru boot camp. I'm glad I could help.

Yeah, you get the glory at the end, but there is a price to leadership. You will get DESTROYED on a DAILY basis. Everything anyone in the platoon does wrong is the guide's fault. You will get blamed and killed anytime anyone does anything.

I wanted to resign several times but I'm not a quitter, so I stuck with it. It was hard, but in the end it was worth it.

My biggest piece of advice would be, don't look for it. If you seek out glory, it will become obvious that you are a glory-hound. DIs hate glory-hounds because they get people killed on the battle-field. There was a recruit who wanted to be the guide and lobbied for the job. He ended up dropping out. He's back in his home town now and I'm in the Fleet. Be fast, loud, and vicious and the DIs will see that you are motivated. They will treat you accordingly.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by SAD
    I really really want to be my platoon Honor Man when I graduate PI. I've heard these responsibilities (Scribe/Squad Leader) help out towards becoming the Honor Man. My question is how do they pick who does each job? Also I got a 90 AFQT and my last IST I ran a 10:34 mile and a half , did 11 pull ups, and 100+ crunches. Does any of this effect my chances? I ship out Nov. 12.
    You will probably NOT be the honor man simply because you seek to be one. It's been my experience that those who want the glory and honors rarely get it because they ask to be seen and they are generally unworthy gloryhounds. Those who get the honors don't usually want it but it is thrust upon them because they have shown leadership skills...

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zackmerc
    Our Senior Drill Instructor asked who had the highest ASVAB scores and who had college experience. One of the recruits in our platoon had a 91 and had a degree in college. He instantly became the head scribe. The company scribe and the other two were simple volunteers, nothing special.
    My platoon's first scribe was a college grad. He was also a reservist. He was fired after about two weeks because he was, as the Kill Hat called him, "An educated idiot." They looked for a HS grad next and that was me. No volunteering involved.

Thread Information