I'm broken.
Create Post

Thread: I'm broken.

Unhappy I'm broken.

Well it's been a while since I was here last (2 pages of topics are bolded!). I was out dirtbiking this weekend and fell and broke my clavicle! "Ouch" to say the least....

I was supposed to go to MEPS next week and hopefully leave in Jan. Clearly that's not going to happen. I called my recruiter and said I'd call him in a few months but to not forget about me, this is just a bump in the road! The doctor said 6ish weeks of recovery and it should be healed. I've read that it can take up to 4-5 months to regain full strength. :/ But I'm optimistic!

Has anyone else broken their collar bone? And do broken bones effect enlistment (can I go to MEPS soon after it's healed)? Anyone else have pre-enlistment brokenness? Thanks!

Jennifer,
    I have no answers, only sympathies. Heal quickly!

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Sorry to hear that. Follow everything the docs and physiotherapists have you to do. Meanwhile ask if your Recruiter can get you a copy of the Marine Corps Essential Subject manual. Study that a few months.

Stay motivated and keep dropping by the Poolee Hall!

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I broke my collar bone during the beginning of rugby season and it was healed and strong enough to the point where I started wrestling season.
    (Broke in late August, wrestled in late Oct).

I didnt have any problems what-so-ever, but it wasnt smart not listening to the doc. Seeing as this is a major decision in life, and very much physically demanding, play it safe wait for the ok.

Ouch man I feel for you, I broke mine messing around wrestling with a friend. Broke it in June, I think, and was on the swim team that winter. Just be careful with it and don't try to use it to early.

Only problem I had with mine was that the bone make a good size lump in the skin (It healed with one part of it on top of the other) and whenever I wore a backpack it felt like it was going to go through the skin. That got better though and I went on 2 backpacking trips last summer.

Once again, hope you feel better.

EDIT: BTW, it should not effect your enlistment at all, as long as it does heal properly. While I was at MEPS they asked me about it and I told them that it was fine (also had the med. records in which my Dr. said it was healed) and they told me I was good to go.

Drink a lot of 100% natural fruit juice and milk. I'm pretty sure you have already been told that. But don't try anything else to agravate it.

I know a guy who broke his clavical in MCT, he was told he'll be in MRP till Augustish.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Jennifer

All good advice. I suggest that you give your collarbone all the time it needs to heal and keep a journal about the differences from when you broke it untill you go back to the MEPS, the reason for the journal is so when the MEPS doctor asks you questions you will have the answers. I don't think that you want to baulk about your injury when you are at MEPS this may be rad as uncertainty and this will cause the MEPS to dig deeper. As an added documentation you may want to get the doctor's dianosis and prognosis so there would be no doubt about your collarbone healing. It may seem extreme, but you don't want to go to Parris Island without being prepared to give it everything youv'e got.

Oh by the way, just because you have broken your collarbone doesn't mean that you can't run and do the other stuff that you need to do to prepare for Parris Island. Thank you for choosing to be a Marine, it will be an honor to call you my sister.

One thing I would really warn against, and this is gonna be hard, is trying to start using it again before its FULLY HEALED. I started riding my bike about 2 weeks after I broke it cause I couldn't stand lying in bed any more. Well after a few days of doing that I realized that I would probably need surgery if I fell, so I took it easy.
    The journal is a great suggestion, you want to know that you are at 100% before you ship. This may take a while though. Stay Moto.

I broke my collar bone and was back up to my normal activities within 5 weeks. It depends on your body how quickly you will heal. Don't force your body, but don't just assume it will be several months either.

Thank you everyone for you replies! I'm already seeing progress in myself (I guess it could just be the vicodin *wink*) but I'm definitely going to take it easy. I know you all and this place will keep me moto for the weeks of recovery to come. Thanks again you guys!

Knocked down and dragged, broken left collarbone with AC ligament tear, 2 or 3 weeks later shoeing horses part time cause i had to make a living, (aint that a bugger) though it was a few months before i could do push-ups and i was about twice your age, you'll be okay directly.

--->Dave

Credits
    Savings
    I broke my left collarbone. After 4 weeks I tried my first handstand. It was too soon, but I didn't do additional damage, luckily. However 2 weeks after that I was 99% except for strength and confidence. I consider myself a pretty fast healer overall.
    Good luck...take your time and plan on at least 2 months. Test it gradually as you are ready.
    You'll never break it in the exact same spot again!
    C

Thread Information