Any air wingers out there ? - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by vmf232
    was with vmf-232 60-63 f8u 1e
    red devils huh? damn powerline shop. they replaced us and when their advance party came they spray painted up inside our rear wheel well on all our birds with this:

Airwing

MCAS Newriver MAG-29/MALS-29 Wolverines ....

MCRD Parris Island - PLT 3095, 1977
    NAS Millington - MATSG-90, MATSS-902, 1977-78
    MCAS El Toro - H&MS-13, 1978, 1980-81
    MCAS Tustin - Training 1978
    MCAS Iwakuni - H&MS-12/VMA-211/VMGR-352, 1979-80
    NAS Cubi Point - VMA-211, 1980

MOSs: AN/APX-64 & AN/APX-72 IFF IMA Tech W/C 610, Mini & Micro Certified W/C 690

Wingers stirring up sheite!! Aint if fun?

How's this for some old pictures? The first two are from Rosy Roads, circa, Jan / Feb 1958 and the next one is a "for real" hot pad scramble, circa, Sept / Oct 1958 in Ping Tung, Taiwan; chasing the bad guys away!!

Attached Images Attached Images

Howdy Crate78, Just wondering, where was H&MS-31
    in '63? I was assigned to that outfit in '75 across the bay
    from P.I.

bucksgted, Thanx for the pix. It appears the ol' homestead
    and wardrobe may use a little work, but the transportation
    is a real chick magnet !!

H&MS-31 was at MCAS Beaufort.

That's the outfit I was in when I got out.

crate

Dam !!!!!!!!!!

When I surfed onto this site I didn't see really anything on the airwing. I thought I was the only AIRWINGER. But, dam !!!!!!!! this thread is growing pretty fast. I don't feel that alone anymore. SEMPER FI Marines.

Quote Originally Posted by grampsdw251
    bucksgted, Thanx for the pix. It appears the ol' homestead
    and wardrobe may use a little work, but the transportation
    is a real chick magnet !!
    When we were at Rosy Roads, our CO said he didn't care what we wore as long as we had on boots and a cover; hence, the cut off utes. The "homestead" was as good as we could make it. We were on the back side of the island near Fajardo (back gate) and close to the CB's. I was a whopping 20 year old Corporal of Marines then. Merit promo to Sergeant on 6/01/58 just prior to joining the fun sheite in da Far East.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gutinstinct
    When I surfed onto this site I didn't see really anything on the airwing. I thought I was the only AIRWINGER. But, dam !!!!!!!! this thread is growing pretty fast. I don't feel that alone anymore. SEMPER FI Marines.
    We're EVERYWHERE, we're EVERYWHERE!

Quote Originally Posted by crate78
    H&MS-31 was at MCAS Beaufort.

That's the outfit I was in when I got out.

crate
    Gramps and Crate, MAG-31 was at Opa Locka in '56 / '57 / '58. VMF-251 was attached to MAG-31. Our base CO, Col. Green, got his wings as a Private. Had to get promoted to PFC to stay off mess duty so he could fly during the early days of WW II. How's that for some old stuff. Seems I can't remember what I had for breakfast, but this old stuff is coming back.

Speaking of old stuff and seeing as how we have all these darn Ordies in here, did ya know that the early AQ (fire control) folks came from the bomb squads? When I got to Miami, my shop NCOIC was Tech Sgt Blodgett. Cut his teeth hanging ordinance on AD's

Hey Bucksgted. How you doing ? Question. On the pictures you posted. The picture to the far right. That Marine under the wing. Whats he handling there ? Is it a centerline, some type of ORD, maybe a bagage tank ?

Quote Originally Posted by gutinstinct
    Hey Bucksgted. How you doing ? Question. On the pictures you posted. The picture to the far right. That Marine under the wing. Whats he handling there ? Is it a centerline, some type of ORD, maybe a bagage tank ?
    That is a "starting" pod. It took a jet engine to start the jet engine. The starting pod was started by battery (it really was/is a jet engine and even burned JP4), a large air duct was connected to the A/C, the air from the pod turned the J59 engine and - walla - the darn thing would then start. Any time the F4D was going to land away from "home" it had to carry it's own pod, unless there was one at the receiving base. The rack that you see in that picture, dead center of the plane, is where the pod mounted. That is not a bomb rack. The F4D carried two rocket pods, two Sidewinder missles and ammo for it's usless cannons. (Here I go again, folks asking what time it is and I end up telling them how a clock works. Sorry for the disertation. LMAO)

You go right ahead Sgt. Alot of Marines on here enjoy learning everything they can. I never knew any of that and its quite interesting that they would design such a....complicated system.

Thanks for the info Bucksgted.

It sounds like something we had for our F4s. If my memory is correct it was called a 105 or as we used to call it a " hoofer". How many Marines remember that piece of GSE ? It seemed like the hoofer (when cranking up) was louder than the Phantom twin J79 engines. Maybe thats way I lost some of my hearing.

Thread Information