Any air wingers out there ? - Page 4
Create Post
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gutinstinct
    It sounds like something we had for our F4s. If my memory is correct it was called a 105 or as we used to call it a " hoofer". How many Marines remember that piece of GSE ? It seemed like the hoofer (when cranking up) was louder than the Phantom twin J79 engines. Maybe thats way I lost some of my hearing.
    thats what i think the f-16's use because when we were on an airforce base and needed to do some checks they didnt have any nc-10's they used the huffers which was retarded imo too much.

But you guys would be glad to know that the f-18's are just probably some of the easiest planes to maintain. I have heard stories and i know for example, harriers you have to take the whole wing of to perform maintenace on the gun. and i think mcdonald douglasreally did well on the f-18 as far as easy access..

We had to use a huffer or wells unit along with external power to start our F4-N's. It is much easier to fire up a Hornet, exept for having to pump up the APU accumulator. Especially no fun with a hangover.
    Yes, the Hornet is much more maintainer friendly.

I actually had the oportunity to help pull an engine out of a Harrier during a WTI det. Given the choice between a Harrier and Phantom (which wasn't much of a cake walk either) I'd choose the Phantom. Plus, going to high power is a rush. (especially if you have a hard light or compressor stall)

Ed,
    You didn't happen to be on the hot pad at PingTung the night we had a hot scramble and the starting pod wouldn't start, did you?

We had to send a jeep back to the flight line for a different pod before we could launch the planes. Next morning in the line shack, Col. Johnson said, "Well, men, we learned something last night, didn't we?" That's all he said, but it spoke volumns.

Speaking of old timers, I once worked for a mustang Captain, Bob Troupe. He'd been an enlisted fighter pilot in WWII. He still had a patch on his flight jacket that said, "Flying Peons".

The good old days.

crate

you know whats wierd from workign on f-18's i can be about a mile away and you are like oh thats the apu, oh they are starting the engine 1 .. There goes the engine 2. There goes the apu shutting off. Oh they are cross bleeding to start the other engine.

Amazing how much you can tell whats goign on just from sounds.

But getting off the subject i did enjoy all the jokes and pranks youd play on the boots fresh in on the fleet. I didnt fall for most of them but and i'll admit this i did fall for the " hey we need a gallon of pneumatic fluid go ask avionics if they have some.. and they didnt have any and sent me to every other shop till i got to airframes adn the top goes. its air.. GOD i felt like an ass.

I also just recalled on the above incident with the no-start starting pod that when we did get the planes launched, in the confusion one was launched with the ground locks in the landing gear and the pilot (I forget who he was) couldn't pull the wheels up. He had to fly around with his wheels down while we scrambled a third plane.

crate

Light bulb repair kits and the keys to the airplane were always good ones to send boots running for.

Quote Originally Posted by crate78
    I also just recalled on the above incident with the no-start starting pod that when we did get the planes launched, in the confusion one was launched with the ground locks in the landing gear and the pilot (I forget who he was) couldn't pull the wheels up. He had to fly around with his wheels down while we scrambled a third plane.

crate
    one of the funniest things ive seen. is out at the cala another squadron forgot to pull the detent wrench and when it came back from its mission the aim-9 was smoking and needless to say we didnt stay near the bird too long.

Ed,
    You didn't happen to be on the hot pad at PingTung the night we had a hot scramble and the starting pod wouldn't start, did you?

We had to send a jeep back to the flight line for a different pod before we could launch the planes. Next morning in the line shack, Col. Johnson said, "Well, men, we learned something last night, didn't we?" That's all he said, but it spoke volumns.

Speaking of old timers, I once worked for a mustang Captain, Bob Troupe. He'd been an enlisted fighter pilot in WWII. He still had a patch on his flight jacket that said, "Flying Peons".

The good old days.

crate
    Goose, you gotta keep me honest here cause the memory aint so good - - but - - I think I recall after that incident, the starting pods ran (idiling) the whole time on the hot pad. They were hot fueled, but we never had a repeat of the afore mentioned screw up!

Folks, in case you haven't figured it out yet, Chase, aka Goose, was a S/Sgt in our shop in Ping Tung. We had the finest Avionics shop in The Corps. The APG-51A fire control system had a max 200 mile search capability and we got confirmed pickups at 200 miles on a regular basis. Ya also have to keep in mind that in that time frame, ALL of the electronics was electron tubes- - - ya know the glass stuff that breaks iffin it takes too much of a jolt.

Crap, the older I get, the better we were! Go figure!!LMAO

crate
    That reminds me of the time after things settled down and we went back in "training mode", we had a young, boot pilot that over pressurized his cockpit shortly after take off, blew his canopy and Col Johnson refused to let him drop his wing tanks for landing. Poor SOB had to fly around using his after burner to burn enough fuel to land. Some lessons, I suppose stay with ya for a while. LOL

Marine Free Member SgtHopperUSMC's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    MWSS 274 "Bay D" 1995

Ed,
    You're right both about leaving the starting pods idling and the pilot blowing his canopy. With no canopy and the afterburner on, that had to be one noisy ride.

crate

Registered User Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Quote Originally Posted by grampsdw251
    oh yeah, guess I;m getting old, so help me out. What's
    IYAOYAS all about?
    And yes Hardjedi,we do goof off a little. You can do that when You perform miracles--like keeping old shot up
    Phantoms in the wind.Hydraulics be damned.
    T'was said "We the willing, led by the unknowing,
    are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
    We have done so much with so little for so long
    We can now do anything with nothing."
    Semper Fi
    Not to sure how Phantoms compared with the NIGHTMARES I worked on AV8A Better known as the Harrier. And sure we may screw-off when we can because some days you find yourself working 18-20 hrs just to get your planes in the air. And somedays everything goes right for the first time in months. So you bet we'll going to screw-off a little. LOL

Folks, on my post # 53, up the page a little, I said that the F4D-1 fire control system was the APG-51A - - that was on the FJ's - - the F4D-1 had the APQ-51A system. Biiiiigggg difference. The APG-51A was really nothing more than an electrical gun sight that the pilot had to look thru. He had to be realllly close to his target cause all he had was 20mm's and rockets. Sorry for the screw up.

VMFAT-101, F-4N,J,S. PlaneCaptain 1982-85. MCAS-Yuma

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I always wished I could fly an F18 (I ain't gonna lie - I would probably barf all over the place but, the rush must be a b!tch) - the closest I ever got to one was to walk underneath it.

I saw something on TV earlier today about an Air Force F22 (I think that's what it is) - this thing is so awesome! Said it can be about 20 miles away from the enemy in the air and shoot and kill them BEFORE they even pick you up on radar. 1000 mph or some such noise. Can ya'll IMAGINE?

Thread Information