"The Battle of Chosin"
Create Post
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

"The Battle of Chosin"

One of our members in Belgium sent me this video and I feel that it is more than worthy to share with you. I have often wondered if I could have measured up to what my brothers before me accomplished in WWI, WWII and Korea. I think that it would be safe to say that when we were in Vietnam we in a sense stood on the shoulders of our brothers in those preceeding wars and those that have gone after us stood on ours. Please take the time to watch this 5 minute vid its awesome. Speaker volume up!

Jim

"The Battle of Chosin"

I never realized exactly how insane the Chosin Resevoir was until I became a Marine. The fact that they were surrounded, refused to retreat, and didn't leave any men or equipment behind under those conditions is remarkable.

It seems to me, now adays, we should bring back the 'ole

"Stand Gentlemen! He served in Chosin!"

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Mr. Nelson, the video link is not working for me. It refuses to play. Does one have to be a member of yahoo in order to view it?

They glorified the Battle of the Chosin Reservoir at MCRD San Diego. Whenever the my platoon's morale was down, our Senior would make a reference to the Marines at the Chosin Reservoir and say "They wouldn't do what you guys are doing." During the 3, 5, and 8 mile humps, we had guys falling out. Our Senior would tell them to suck it up and move on, like the men at the Chosin Reservoir did.

Real motivating.

We were also shown a similar clip in one of the history classrooms and it showed real gruesome pictures of what the Marines endured.

I, like you Jim, from time to time contemplate whether or not I would have been able to stand up to the challenge at Chosin. But the more I think about it the more I realize that I alone could not have...but with fellow Marines there beside me I think I could've.

Great piece!

Every December in our Company we had a Fox day to celebrate Captain Barber and the feats of these giants at TokTong Pass and other places that I won't disgrace by trying to spell.

Our Battalion also had the honor of having several of the survivors of that time frame come and address the Battalion. I among many of my peers were awestruck by the accomplishments of these seemingly unimposing men.

For me all you have to say is either one of two words...Chosin or Raider and you will become my adopted father for the afternoon...whether you like it or not

It definitely lives on in the memory of the Corps.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Darn good footage Jim! Makes me even more proud to claim the title!

Semper FI

Thread Information