Iwo Jima Memorial
Create Post

Iwo Jima Memorial

Brothers and Sisters, this old Marine had the priviledge and honor of meeting and chatting with the youngest Medal of Honor recipient in the 20th century and the youngest Marine recipient of the Medal of Honor - - none other than Jack Lucas. Jack is one of three living recipients out of the 27 MOH's awarded for Iwo Jima. He forged his mother's signature on his enlistment papers and went to the Corps at the age of 14. In October of 1945, at 17, President Truman was draping the Medal of Honor around his neck.

The occasion was the formal dedication of our Iwo Jima Memorial here in Union City. The MCL from Memphis did an outstanding job under the circumstances. It has been raining like hell here for several days, but today at 1400 when things got under way, it stopped raining and didn't start raining again until approx 1530 as things were winding down. Go figure.

BTW, I learned today that our Memorial is THE ONLY one, anywhere, that honors all 27 Medal of Honor recipients (24 Marines, 2 Corpsman and 1 Navy Lt.). We have two Union City Marines that made it thru Iwo Jima and they spearheaded this whole thing. Did an outstanding job.

Hopefully, my pics will turn out ok and if so, I will post them.

Just had to share my excitement!! I'm so pumped, think I'll lie about my age and start all over!

Semper Fidelis, Marines.

Ed

Outstanding and congrats. We'll be looking forward to then pics.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    An Iwo Jima Veteran was supposed to attend a ceremony way up here. I actually cried when he could not attend. I was so looking forward to meeting a Grandfather of Marines.

In my eagerness and haste to share my feelings about yesterday's events, I may have short changed our Navy Brothers, The Corpsman!! I have to research it some more, but I'm thinking, today, that there where 4 Corpsman awarded The Medal at Iwo Jima - -not just two. I do know that of the three living recipients, one is a Corpsman in Utah, one a Marine in WVA and of course Jack Lucas. I'll get my **** together and get back to you.

Well, folks, Ellie did my homework for me. She has posted the Jackson Sun's article on yesterday's events. There were 4 Corpsman recepients of The Medal.

PFC Jack Lucas, USMC, MOH, Iwo Jima. Taken last week at the dedication of Union City's Iwo Jima Memorial.

I just gotta show off also and include a pic of Jack & me. He is so gracious and approachable. It was, indeed, an honor for me.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jack Lucas, MOH.jpg‎
Views:	133
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	5036   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ed & Jack Lucas.jpg‎
Views:	125
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	5037  

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Outstanding, Sgt!

OOHRAH! What a great experience!

THAT IS OUT-FRIGGIN-STANDING!!!! HIGHLY MOTIVATING!!!!

Thread Information