Introducing myself...
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Introducing myself...

Hey everyone, just signed up to the forum and thought it would be a good idea to introduce myself and give you a little background information about myself. My name is Sam and I'm currently 17 years old. It has always been my dream to become a United States Marine ever since I was 10. The only thing now that is slowing me down is the fact that I had to obtain a GED instead of my HS diploma. After recieving my GED I didn't know whether or not to go to college first or see if I can enlist (seeing as how my recruiter told me that there was some kind of opening in which they were taking GED's). I decided to try out college though first. I decided to major in Business Adminstrative Management and have been attending 5 classes (17 credits). Midterms are comming up and I'm realizing more and more that right now college isn't for me. I'm no longer interested in my major and figured this would happen since I didn't know what I really wanted to do in college.

So I started talking to my recruiter even more now. I was a big time marijuana smoker and had told my recruiter that I just recently quit. He drug tested me and as I expected had failed. Now the last time I smoked was Oct 6 2007. Since then I've been drinking anywhere from 1 to 2 gallons of water a day, taking 2 waterex pills (one in the morning and one in the evening) been taking a "home made" remedy my mom is giving me and have been excerising 2 to 3 hours a day. My excercise consist of 20minutes running on the treadmill (average around 2 miles to 2 and a half miles) , 20 minutes on a speed bike ( average over 3 miles) then I work on my pull ups, with the pull ups I seem to be having trouble. I normally try 3 sets of 10 dead hangs, but towards the 3rd set I find myself having trouble knocking out 10 straight. By the way I'm 5'4 140lbs.

I also took the ASVAB test on monday Oct. 15 2007. I scored an 80 on it. My recruiter told me that that was a good score. Im really dedicating myself to getting ready for the Marine Corps and was hoping on some advice maybe. Im struggling in college now and I dont think I'm going to be able to achieve the 15 college credits this semester alone. My question being, is there anyway possible to be able to enlist and go to basic training without those 15 college credits? I know Im somewhat ready physically and was hoping with my ASVAB score that theyre might be an exception that could be made. If anyone has any tips, answers or advice all is welcomed. Thanks everyone for taking your time to read this and hopefully give some feedback.

You need to fill out your profile before you post. It is listed in the rules at the top of this forum in one of the stickys. Get that done, and then we can talk.

Ah yes, I did read the rules before posting the topic, but forgot to abide by them. Sorry about that, just fixed that. Thank you.

Good deal. Now, we just started talking about the GED with another person this evening. Now, you do have a possibility of getting in without college- but it is very small. The Marine Corps will allow five percent of enlistees to have a GED each year. To qualify you must have at least a 50 on the ASVAB, which you have surpassed. But, when you do the math, you'll see that 5% of enlistees in a given year is a very small number. It would be much easier to buckle down and get the 15 credits.

You said you're enrolled in 17 hours right now. You may not be enjoying yourself, but it is a reality of your life right now. I promise you that there will be plenty of times in the Marine Corps where your misery will far surpass what you're dealing with now.

Another way of looking at it, college is pretty easy. There are far more people running around with 15 college credits than there are U.S. Marines. Why should the Marine Corps believe that you've got what it takes to be a Marine if you can't finish one semester of college? Like it or not, it is a test of your character. If it ends up taking you another semester, then so be it. Just do what you need to do and then go enlist.

If you feel like you just can't wait, get in touch with a recruiter quickly. Since we are at the beginning of the fiscal year you may have a better chance now than you would in a couple of months, or even weeks.

Get the credits you need to enlist as a Tier 1.

My question being, is there anyway possible to be able to enlist and go to basic training without those 15 college credits? I know Im somewhat ready physically and was hoping with my ASVAB score that theyre might be an exception that could be made
    What I saw when I read that is someone looking for an easy way into the Corps.

If gaining 15 credits is too hard for you, I don't think the Marine Corps is a good choice for your future. And if it's really been your dream since you were 10, 15 credits should be a small price to pay.

Im not neccessarily looking for a faster way into the Marines just going through a lot in college. College right now is very difficult with my major. I've discussed with my counselors about maybe dropping certain classes to maybe get something on my level, but for my major there isnt anything lower, besides remedial and I've been exempt from remedials thanks to my SATs. I feel that entering the Marine Corps. Now would benefit more greatly since at the moment I really dont know what I want to do in college. I cant really decided on a major either. I know im going to have to change it if I want to pass my math class. And maturity is another thing, I have a feeling that I would gain some maturity and gain characterstics that would greatly assist in college, like time management and would help me become more responsible. In simple terms, make a man out of me.

like i said in the other thread,just get the 15 credits.

I had 6 when i enlisted ( I am a GED graduate as well) and had to sign a contract stating that i would try my very best to get the other 9,i'm currently at college taking 4 classes at 3 credits each,that means as long as I pass 3 out of 4 of my classes i can leave for boot camp in january.

Like E4B said,if you can't suck it up and get 15 credits,the Marines probably aren't for you. Its alot easier that you think,goes by quick.

Alright guess my only option is to "suck it up". My mentality on the whole thing was thinking of the 6months it would take to get the 15 credits, yea it is a short time but at the same time I was thinking what I could achieve in 6 months in the Marines. Id be done with basic and presumably done or almost done with Infantry school (Dont know how long that is if anyone does could you please let me know?). I guess I've been somewhat "running away" from the 15 credits, im capable of getting them, just the whole college environment is a lot for me to take in at 17 and at the moment as I stated above, not really happy with being in college. But If its the only way I can become a United States Marine, then I guess I'm going to have to buckle down and bust my ass to get these 15 credits. Thank you Cwalling and Bro3hopeful for your advice and tips, it is greatly appreciated.

it goes by SO quick.I did my first semester from january to may,now doing my 2nd from september to december.

It's so worth it man,it really is..any questions PM me

I also had to go to college to be a Marine. And looking back on it it was time and money well spent.

Consider it an investment.

Well good to know that others before me who had to do it did it, Im now trying my best to pass these classes. Communicating more with the prof. and find out what needs to be done for me to pass. Also been talking to my recruiter, he said if we get my college transcripts and it says im enrolled for 15 or more credits I can enlist, just wont be able to go to basic unless I get the 15 credits or they need a GED recipion. Im definitely happy with that and am going to work hard on getting these credits. I'll keep you guys posted on the situation and all. And if at anytime I see myself slipped I'll come here for some more advice and inspiration thanks again everyone

i'm doing the same thing man,stay Motivated and PM me with any question.

If your recruiter gives you a chance to enlist with only a GED don't take it! If you decide to stay in you won't be able to re-enlist with only a GED.

Bro... trust me. You'll save yourself and your recruiter alot of headache if you just take a few Community College Courses.

If you get 20 credits (which I got after two terms, with a full time job) the military no longer requires a high school diploma... and you still get some spiffy skeeter wings!

it's 15 actually,at least that's what i've been told i have to get.

Thread Information