Online School
Create Post

Thread: Online School

Online School

I'm thinking about going to school at the same time when i do become a Marine. Does anyone got any suggestion or advice, tips, etc... on about which is a good online school and about GI bill or even the VA. Please any kind of information would be a great deal of help. Even if its from a word of another fellow servicemen or friend or family ill appericated any.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Become a Marine first! Then you can worry and think about going to school. Or you can stay on the block and go to school then join the Marine Corps.

Don't worry about using your GI bill while you are active duty. The best money while your in is your Tuition Assistance or TA, you can get approximately 6 class (depending on tution cost) a year for free. They'll pay up to $250 per credit hour.

As far as online universities, my expierence has been that they suck. I know Marines though, who have used American Military University, and University of Phoneix and have done well. I personally go to the actual universities that have satalite schools on base, Chapman University for example, is the school that I am currently enrolled in. Finally, most bases have local community colleges in the area that you can attend when you're not at work.

The toughest part though is trying to find time to go to college. There are several jobs that are not condusive to going to school, because of the hours that you will work. Not to mention it will depend on your unit, because of the Op-Tempo you might not have enough time. Hope that helps

Accutally dibl07 that did helped. Now i think its better off to just wait it out and see what unit im with and such. That is why i perfer online school is the time restrain that i might have traveling to a real campus. With that being said lastly, so is the GI Bill worth participating and yes i will be serving active duty.

Quote Originally Posted by docileurxtasy
    so is the GI Bill worth participating...
    YES! You want to participate in the GI bill. You just dont want to use it during your active duty time, if possible. There are some special circumstances that you might want to; however, normally you will be better just using TA.

If you use your GI bill during your active duty time period you start the clock that you have to use it. Also, you will not receive the same amount of money if you use it during your active time, as it will only pay for the tuition. If you use it once your out, be it 4 years or 30, you will receive a check from the govt every month as long as you are a full time student. Same thing if you are part time, its just a smaller check.

That's just a very brief overview of the GI bill, but the bottom line is you want to participate in it.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by docileurxtasy
    Accutally dibl07 that did helped. Now i think its better off to just wait it out and see what unit im with and such. That is why i perfer online school is the time restrain that i might have traveling to a real campus. With that being said lastly, so is the GI Bill worth participating and yes i will be serving active duty.
    I'm using my GI Bill right now. I make money going to school. It doesn't get much better than that.

also while on active duty sign up for the kicker on the g i bill

docile...
    Base education is a great resource to help you figure out what you want and what would work best for your personal situation....best use of benefits,etc. I would definitely save GIBILL for your post-graduate work

If you opt to not sign up for the G.I. Bill in bootcamp, Lord help you. The D.I's will have a fun cycle with you. You'll instantly be labeled a ****in' dumbass, 'cuz that's what you are, in that case. It'll make for some good long days for ya, even when you didn't necessarilly earn 'em.

Thread Information